1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin: I talk to Yao after every game, he's a big mentor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sinobball, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He didn't really admit that he made a mistake. He just stated it was a regret. Imo, he needed to take it one step further and admit he didn't do a good job evaluating his talent - not simply and arrogantly imply that...no one knew! To me, he is not completely owning his mistake in evaluating talent.

#41 Tfor3, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

now that you mention it, he looks much thinner here.....good for him.:eek:

3. bewy

bewy Member

I don't think any of the gms out there in the league could evaluate Lin's intangibles. Stop hating.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm not hating. I just think Morey missed the boat on this and is not owning it.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How so? We have a much better record than the Knicks, going into the playoffs.... More than capable players on the bench....overachievers....
    The pick is looking worse but yeah..... we don't really know what good players are available at 6 to 10 and what are at 15....

Heck.... The Knicks are winning with Lin but also with guys like Fields, Novak, Shumpert, Walker and Chandler. He is not the only reason the Knicks are linning. Let's be for real here.

6. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Actually he is.

He's a point guard inserted into a stagnant point-guard D'Antoni system that didn't have a point-guard.

Couple that with everyone feeling more comfortable in their roles - Steve Novak spot-up 3s, Iman Shumpert at the 2/3, Chandler as a PnR receive....yeah, Lin is the only reason the Knicks are winning.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We were talking about what the Rockets lost out..... So how is Lin riding the Houston pine conducive to linning here in Houston?

8. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Ultimately Lin is in the best situation for HIM. I think that fact is being missed by all these Yao fans harping on us letting go of our third best point guard.

Yes, Morey kept Flynn instead but we have 2, I think, playoff caliber point guards and another we can see some return on if traded.

This was a mutually beneficial parting of the ways between both parties. We can't keep ALL the talent (unfortunately). So just be happy that the dude is finally getting so much burn. Honestly, I think any one of our guards excels on the Knicks who were depraved @ the point.

I'd also like to re-state as my fellow posters have numerous times prior
    THIS IS A ROCKETS FORUM AND WE'RE CURRENTLY THE FOURTH SEED IN THE WEST!!!

that is all...

1 person likes this.
  9. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

10. highlander3128

He is. Just ask the Knicks fans. Lin makes his teammates better.

With Melo and Amare coming back, do expect them to be in the playoff with higher seed than the Rockets.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, give him hell. Go out there and break a foo...err leg!

12. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Really? I don't see anyway the Knicks will be able to pull off a higher seed than us. They're 2 games below .500 and were 5 games above .500.

Throw in the fact that they've had one of the easiest schedules in the NBA so far, and that for the playoff contending teams, the power disparity in the east is much larger than in the west makes it pretty unlikely they'll finish better than us.

13. sinobball

sinobball Member

Report: Yao tried to sign Lin
    Updated Feb 12, 2012 3:58 AM ET

Yao Ming attempted to sign Knicks point guard sensation Jeremy Lin to play for his Shanghai Sharks during the NBA lockout, but was unsuccessful, two league sources said.

Lin, who scored 20 points as the Knicks beat the Timberwolves Saturday night, 100-98, has had a close bond with Yao since playing in the former Rockets star's charity basketball games in Taiwan and Beijing in August 2010.

Yao, who retired as an NBA player in July because of chronic foot injuries, owns the Sharks, a team he once played for. Yao also has started his own wine label and has embarked in politics, recently named to a powerful political advisory committee.

Following his historic 38-point outburst against the Lakers on Friday night, Lin revealed he is close to Yao and communicates often with the 7ft 6in (2.29 meters) Chinese basketball legend, mostly by text message. Yao lives in Shanghai.

"Yao cares for [Lin's] well-being,'' one person familiar with the relationship said. "He's that kind of guy.''

Lin did not follow the lead of other NBA players who left for China during the lockout -- Wilson Chandler, Kenyon Martin and J.R. Smith, to name a few. Had Lin not been claimed by the Knicks on Dec. 26 after being waived by the Rockets, there was a chance he could have wound up with Yao in Shanghai.

Following the rout of the Lakers, Lin, the first Chinese-American to play in the NBA, said, "I actually talk to Yao after every game. He's taken me out to eat when I've seen him. He's obviously a role model, big brother and mentor to me. We keep in touch all the time."

=============
    someone post the Yao Morey pic

14. sinobball

sinobball Member

The reason Yao couldn't sign him was because the CBA later came up with the rule that only NBA free agents (e.g. Yi, Brooks etc.) could play in CBA. During the lockout, Lin was still under contract with the Warriors.

Lin actually played for another CBA team Dongguan Leopards in a preseason tournament last summer and most people believed his back-up plan was indeed China in case NBA doesn't work out. How things have changed.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clearly Yao only mentors Lin because Lin is a possible asset to his team.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

He would have been the Jeremy Lin of China.

17. sinobball

sinobball Member

Not sure if you're joking, but are you saying that Yao would stop the communication now that Lin has secured his place in the NBA? I'd like to think Yao is classier than that.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

19. BleedRocketsRed

REP. Great post

20. BleedRocketsRed

I hope he does stop. We need the Knicks to lose lol.

But seriously tho, Yao seems like a great guy and I hope he does sign a future superstar to the Sharks.