1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin and how he needs to improve.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jan 24, 2013.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

The guy has no confidence right now.

I think defensively, he's been good. I like how active he is in the passing lanes, how he tries to play his man straight up (not gambling, not reaching, keeping his hands up). He sometimes gets lost in rotations but that's due to how young this team is. Everybody needs to communicate more. I've seen a lot of missed defensive assignments on defending the pick and roll because there was a miscommunication.

The guy doesn't complain and works hard but the biggest thing, to me, is his severe lack of offensive moves. Probably through all levels of competition, he's been able to blow by his man and finish with his right-handed lay-up effectively (extremely quick, 6'3", long and lanky arms). But in the NBA, it's obviously a whole new world. The only effective go-to move he has, aside from the rare three point shot make and pull-up elbow jumpers, is his right handed layup and he'll often try to initiate contact and finish, which is great.
    But that move can easily be key-in'd on to stop.

What he needs to do is work on (besides his jumper) is his dribbling moves and he needs to learn to be more cunning around the basket. I've never seen him do anything other than a basic crossover or, very rarely, a right-handed in/out dribble. I really wish he could've taken a lot of pages out of Curry's book of tricks when he was still on the Warriors. A basic quick right-handed floater would help tremendously.

Obviously, at 24, he's got tons of room for improvement but once he starts to open up his offensive game and stops trying to only use his right-handed layup, he can reach Linsanity levels of play. Decision-making and reading defenses will come with time, but I still have confidence Lin can make these improvements and be our quality starting PG for the next few seasons.

2. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

he simply needs to shoot more mid range and develop a solid floater. one of his biggest problems is when the lane collapses he cant do much and picks up his dribble or passes out of desperation. lots of TOs occur from this. instead he needs to be more aggressive by always having a way to score. he also gets blocked a lot, so a solid floater would do wonders for him. and of course more mid range shooting before the help defense collapses the lane, just pull up j.

him having a vastly better handle is a pipe dream. work on going left is enough.

3. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Sorry if posted already.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/news-and-notes-back-basics

Lin always taking responsibility for his game....

On Harden as an all star....

Jeremy is a very classy guy. :)

4. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

3 pt shot.

Captain obvious to the rescue.

5. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

green light

6. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I don't know if it's lack of players, lack of coaching sets, or lack of chemistry, but I really miss his alley oops.

They were a key staple and so fun to watch.

He would wait for a play to develop patiently as the opposing defense got discombulated chasing the various cutters and off-ball screeners, and then expertly alley oop to a backdoor cutting athletic high-flying, fast running Shumpert or Fields or others. Or he would toss it over the heads of defenders for Tyson Chandler to jump up and grab and then slamdunk on his way down.

Asik is no Tyson Chandler to expect such hops. But don't the Rockets have any athletic cutters to match Iman Shumpert or Landry Fields? I think Parsons, TJones, and maybe even Greg Smith or Harden could finish an alley oop.

Maybe McHale/Sampson just don't have the creativity of D'Antoni for those beautiful misdirecting multiple screens and cutters to create those alley oop plays. Or maybe the young rocket players don't have the chemistry for it, though there wasn't much time for Lin to build that chemistry either after being thrust into the starting role with the Knicks, and yet he was able to bring that offensive game and execute those alley oops.

Those Linsanity alley oops never failed to get a rousing cheer out of the audience.

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

this is the coaching staff's cure?? SHow old game tape?!?!

You cant run or push the ball if you dont get stops and grab rebounds, neither of which this team can do right now.

Did McHale notice in those old game tapes that Lin actually played more than 25 minutes?

8. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

Watch the old linsanity 5 game stretch. He had quite a few moves wh8ch u dont see this year. Behind the back and legs, crossover, double clutch, over the head, even did some euro step, and a few others. I have no idea where these moves are now.

9. cw3k

cw3k Member

I think you meant Lin actually allow to hold the ball after passing half court? Get screen and able to drive to the raim.

Now, McHale's new role for Lin is carry the ball to half court and hand it over to Harden within 1 seconds, then hurry to the 3 points line and wait. No cutting allow because Harden needs to ISO.

10. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Yeah, the variety of different ways he could score was one of the things that Morey mentioned as a reason to pursue Lin and why he was legit. He had so many different moves. Even that infamous 360 spin move from the Linsanity Lakers game.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

To be honest I don't think anyone on our team has confidence.

12. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Another Jeremy lin thread....

14. ChippedToothLin

He just needs to put in the time shooting that 3 and mid jumpers over and over and over. It will open up his game. This has already been said since the beginning of the season.

Also I'm not really seeing any leadership from him, but this could stem from his poor play.

15. kcal

kcal Member

He can't throw alley oops when the coaches tell him to hand off to harden immediately after he passes the half court line. Actually, he can't do much of anything with those instructions, nor could anyone else.

There's nothing for lin to do right now except to follow the coach's instructions and defer.

But yeah, it was a blast watching lin play PG and that hasn't happened since last season.

16. brick

brick Member

Lin needs to take some mid-range jump shots after a PNR as he once did so well in NY. The coaches have been enforcing a flawed "system" that don't like in-between shots. I am beginning to see quite a few mid-range shots from 2Pat and Lin, and a few post games from 2Pat. I guess the coaches are quitely admitting the flaws.

17. pho

pho Member

problem is that rockets players do not set very good picks.

18. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I love the spin move...Knicks

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IqW9UoYRpLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rockets....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A3u6raa0_tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Posted this on another thread, but realized it was probably more appropriate here. I've been disappointed by Lin's play this year because of his inconsistency... but then I tried to remind myself of the good games he's had this first half of the season and he has had about a dozen or so.

These are games in which he has had either double digit points or assists (25 out of 44 games, 57% of the games). Having double digit points by itself isn't necessarily all that great from a starter, so I bolded the one I personally consider to be his good games this season.

Det 10/31 - 12p / 8a / 4r / 4s --> W
    Atl 11/1 - 21p / 7a / 10r / 0s --> W
    Por 11/3 - 13p / 7a / 3r / 3s --> L
    Mem 11/9 - 15p / 3a / 5r / 2s --> L
    Por 11/16 - 11p / 11a / 6r / 1s --> L
    LAL 11/18 - 5p / 10a / 1r / 1s --> L
    UTA 11/19 - 13p / 3a / 6r /0s --> L
    NYK 11/23 - 13p / 3a / 7r / 2s --> W
    TOR 11/27 - 16p / 10a / 4r / 3s --> W
    UTA 12/1 - 19p / 8a / 3r / 1s --> W
    SA 12/10 - 38p / 7a / 3r / 2s --> L
    WAS 12/12 - 10p / 6a / 5r / 0s --> W
    NYK 12/17 - 22p / 9a / 4r / 2s --> W
    PHI 12/19 - 18p / 6a / 2r / 1s --> W
    Mem 12/22 - 15p / 11a / 6r / 2s --> W
    CHI 12/25 - 20p / 11a / 1r / 1s --> W
    SA 12/28 - 21p / 8a / 4r / 4s --> L
    ATL 12/31 - 16p / 8a / 4r / 4s --> W
    CLE 1/5 - 20p / 5a / 4r / 1s --> W
    LAL 1/8 - 19p / 5a / 6r / 4s --> W
    BOS 1/11 - 12p / 6a / 5r / 3s --> L
    LAC 1/15 - 12p / 10a / 1r / 2s --> L
    DAL 1/16 - 19p / 4a / 3r / 1s --> L
    IND 1/18 - 10p / 5a / 3r / 0s --> L
    MIN 1/19 - 12p / 2a / 4r / 2s --> L

Didn't count the lates DAL game as a "good game" because he missed some key FT at the end, although he did bring the team back in the 4th Q.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Jeremy Lin is too old to add any sort of dribbling moves to his reportoire. Guy is 24 and still has no left hand. His best bet is to become Bob Sura and be a do it all player (points, rebs and assists).