1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin 50-40-90 club watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Nov 15, 2013.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I don't think I've ever made a Jeremy Lin thread, because I saw the type of mess it would create here. This thread is NOT about Lin is good, bad, all-star, scrub, should start or be traded. It has nothing to do with McHale, Harden or Beverley. If you want to troll or exercise the ability to make snarky comments, I kindly ask you to do it in another thread.

I am only doing it when I saw something amazing - Jeremy Lin has a legit shot at the 50-40-90 club this season! Which I would have never thought possible.

I am a big fan of the 50-40-90 club, which is composed of players who shut over 50% FG, 40% 3FG, and 90% FT in a season. To qualify, a player has to make over 300 FGs, 55 3FGs and 125 FTs.

The 50-40-90 club is considered to be one of the ultimate measuring stick for a great shooter. In NBA history, only Larry Bird, Mark Price, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant have achieved it. These were by consensus the best NBA shooters.

After 10 games, Jeremy Lin is shooting 52.7% on FG, 46.5% on 3FG, and 80.7% on FT. He is short on the FTs, but if he can come up with a streak of 20 - 30 FTs made in a row, I can see him getting there by the end of the year. If he does, I would be absolutely astonished, because based on Lin's game, I would consider him a very good driver and a decent distributor, but I would never consider him to be a great shooter. Getting to the 50-40-90 club would be mind-blowing for me.

To get in the club is extremely hard, and that's why so few made it. And to be fair, there is one other players with enough volume who also has a shot this year - Klay Thompson (54.3%, 50% and 87.5%).

I don't think either of them can keep up their percentage while improving their FTs, but I really hope they do. I get excited when someone joins the 50-40-90 club, especially for a Rocket.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think his FTs will stand a chance of being over 90% at the end of the season. He's never been that good of a FT shooter.

Right now it looks like he stands a chance of getting the most important two though, the 50/40 club, and that's awesome enough.

3. nono

nono Member

Hard for a point guard to achieve that. Price and Nash were both elite shooters. I think Lin's going to come down a bit, and is unlikely to get his free throw percentage up to 90%.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Very unlikely. His FG% will drop to around 48%, his 3P% to around 41-42% and his FT shooting will be about the same.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Believe it or not I think the FTs are harder to get than the rest of those numbers... I mean a good majority of players can shoot 40% from three or 50% from the field, but there are very few guys that can get 90% from the line.

So based on that I don't think he will get there but he im definitely liking what I see!

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I think he can get 50 and 40 but not the 90. I actually want to see Lin in the 3 point contest this year.

7. pnr

pnr Member

He's never even hit 80% on his FTs.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

9. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

maintaining 45,40,80 to the end of the season would be mind blowing for me with Lin. I still remember his jacked up shot in the first two seasons....

10. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Don't jinx him... :(

11. torocan

torocan Member

Yah, the 90 probably isn't going to happen. It's not one of the things he worked on last off season.

I'd be ecstatic if he ended with 50/40/80.

Maybe some year down the line, but that could be fairly far away. Just be happy with the 50/40. :)

12. RRockets

RRockets Member

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Sick jinx bro.

14. rajon

rajon Member

I agree with you about his FG% and 3P%, but he can shoot Ft's in the 90's when he focuses on it. His first month in new york he didn't shoot them well and the coaches had to ask him to work on them. Once he made it a priority, he proceeded to make something like 31 of 32 the next month. I've been thinking about it all season because he is very capable.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not going to happen... this year. He needs an offseason to get to 90% FT. :grin:

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Great start and it would be awesome if Lin can hit 40% of his threes, but I'd say the sample size is pretty small. I'm not expecting him to hit 50% from the field or 90% of his free throws.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If we can just cut the turnovers down, and learn the freaking lob pass (kinda serious), then we got ourselves a team

18. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Very happy if he ends up at 45/40/85

19. torocan

torocan Member

I agree the sample size is small, though encouraging.

And it would be hard to hit 50% FG but it's a LOT more likely than 90% FT%.

I wouldn't say it's likely he breaks 50% FG, but it's not out of the realm of possibility... yet.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

90% free throws is really hard to do. Only 10 or so players a year achieve that. I expect Lin's shooting numbers to regress slightly, around 47/39/83. But if he shoots that, I'll be ecstatic! Most people here had him as only a 34-36% three point shooter even with the reports and preseason in which he shot really well. For others to now think of him as a potential 40% three point shooter is huge and a testament to how hard he worked in the summer!