1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeffries has already won me over...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets018, Feb 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FreeBallinBlog

Oh, he can totally shoot from 3. It just doesn't go in. He had the ugliest shot in the league until Noah arrived on the scene. Let's see...yeah, he "developed" a corner three this year, but that means he's up to 32%.

2. FreeBallinBlog

I'm bullish on him, I'd say a decent 7-8 man. He's had some injury problems the last few years, since leaving the Bullets really. And when he was healthy he couldn't break into the rotation.

Thing is, when he was with the Bullets, they had enough scorers on the court so he didn't need to do much. But between the injuries and not being able to score on a team that seriously needed scoring talent, he was sort of lost on the bench.

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

nah the difference is, jeffries will do this night in and night out, he did it playing on a team as horrendous as the knicks, no reason why he wont continue it

TMAC on the other hand, hasnt played in months, so one game isnt indicative of what's to come, but for Jeffries it is, he wasnt just playing this way cause he wants to prove himself to a new fan base, this is how he plays all the time. I watch just about all the knick games, and this is a guy who on a garbage team is useless, but on a quality team he can fill a role and make a big impact.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Can you give us some insight on why his rebounding is so low? Is he bad at boxing out? Does he have weak hands?

5. lmaballa

lmaballa Rookie

Wow your probably the dumbest person on the board. He was wide open! We were down by 4 with like a minute left and the three was wide open. What's he suppose to do pass the open shot, sit down indian style and wait for the paint to fill up, then shoot?

You're ....

NVM

6. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

LOL! if only i could rep....

7. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

When people were down on Jeffries before the trade, I said he could be a good piece. He's basically Dorsey in 3-4 years more of development.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He's nothing like Dorsey. Dorsey is a dunker, shot blocker, and a very strong rebounder.

Jeffries can't dunk the ball, doesn't block shots but plays better D, and is a poor rebounder.

Dorsey would get triple or quadruple the rebounds that Jeffries gets.

9. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Not a bad game from Jeffries first time out. I'm absolutely astounded that he can't dunk the ball though. That's like Yao being able to not dunk the ball, lol. Then again Scola is 6'10'ish too and never dunks it so who knows.

10. yobod

yobod Member

What the hell are you talking about, he can dunk just fine.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xco131DT-10&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xco131DT-10&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

11. LifeisButaDream

Jeffries=Poor Man's KG :grin:

12. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I tried to sell Jeffries a computer once. Nice guy.

13. gambingo

gambingo Member

i don't know which is worst, Jeffries lay up attempts or Chuck's free throws :confused:

14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I too would like to say he won me over last night but those missed lay-ups tempered any thoughts of getting too excited.

But I do like him and think if we can forget what we're paying him for a bit, he might turn into decent player for us.

15. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I think we could use him at a lower salary, but I bet DM trades him away as an expiring next season (maybe even this summer).

16. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Well, I owe Jeffries an apology. Before the trade all I saw were 5 points and 4 rebounds in nearly 30 minutes a game with New York and throughout most of his career. Then I saw that he's being paid roughly 7 million next year. It blew my mind that anyone would have paid this guy that kind of money for that kind of production, which has been consistently poor for a number of years. Heck, his blocks and steals didn't even look good enough to compensate for the lack of points, rebounds, assists or any other stat.

But I should have known that there was something about him that made enough of an impression on someone to give him that size of a contract. Stats aren't always what they seem. We've seen this with Battier ever since we traded for him. And though some people still look at Battier's stats and try to say that he's not worth his salary, I think these are people that put too much emphasis on fantasy basketball and not enough on real world basketball. A player like this can have a sizeable impact on a game, with or without monsterous eye-popping stats to show for it.

I understand that it was one game, but after the game I couldn't help but make a number of observations that have reshaped my entire outlook on him:

1) Dang he's tall with a long wingspan.

2) Man, he's quick for his size.

3) Geez, he's all over the court, full of energy.

4) Did he really just alter as many shots as I saw that he altered?

5) And yeah, the scouting reports were right in that he can't finish a layup.

Now I can see how he would be given the contract he was given. I can also see how he would have been so much underappreciated on the Knicks that we were paid to take him and his salary on. And I can see how he fits in very well on our team.

I know that there are going to be nights he plays that I hit my head against the wall for all of the missed layups he gives us. He needs layup drills every day to correct that.

And I know that he's not likely going to continue rebounding at this clip. That was likely an exception, as his historic stats can't possibly lie in this area.

And I understand that he is sorely overpaid, even from the upside that I observed in the game against the Hornets. It is important to note that we can't look at his contract and get disgusted unless we also acknowledge that he came with 2 1st round draft picks from New York.

But what impressed me the most is that the opponent had a much more difficult time trying to score in the paint when Jeffries was in the game than when he wasn't. He actually gave us a shot-altering interior presence that makes him a very attractive option in particular matchups.

I don't think he'll make the regular rotation because he seems to be more of a scoring liability than is Hayes, but I can definitely see him contributing like in this game when we play taller teams that would ordinarily have an easy time scoring on us in the paint.

I'm sorry Jared Jeffries. I doubted you without giving you the chance to prove yourself. I'm glad you're on the team.

1 person likes this.
  17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I said this when the trade happens, yes, Jeffries contract is bad and not worth what your getting, but, he's not a horrible player and he can contribute some for us, especially defensively.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe drive it in, or pass to someone that can shoot?

DD

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A lot of people thought Jeffries was just a throw-in to make the salaries match, and largely that is what he was. His contract's burden certainly outweighs his value... but he's here now for better or worse and he can play basketball, and some things he actually does very well. He's a pretty smart player who plays good low post defense and more importantly has the size to at least keep the defense somewhat anchored (I think we all saw the difference in last night's defense vs the layup line the Indiana Game was).

I for one, welcome him. He's not going to play pretty basketball by any means, and it will be ugly if he ever is put in the position to have to try and score, but he can help this team right now.

20. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

He looked really good out there last night but he had a few chances of dunking the ball and just went for a lay up. Dunk it with attitude Jeffrie