1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeffries has already won me over...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets018, Feb 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Someone needs to teach him how to make a layup. He is very good defensively. Very versatile as well on defense

2. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Actually he's just a body who played well. Unless they start playing better and picking up the system they might be headed into a direction which made no sence when starting the season. They got this far and are almost in the playoffs, but now they could be settling just missing the playoffs by throwing new bodies into the system. No need to play players who we know wont be here next season. Hill and Jeffries and Martin is an exception. There is absolutely no need to even look at Armstrong though.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You have to understand Al Harrington and nate Robinson never passed to anyone accept occassionally David lee. His offense is not great but no one ever passed him the ball. But the main thing is Jefferies defense is not a fluke. He will play here now and next year.

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

Landry wasn't a great rebounder but Landry came off the bench and only played 27-28 minuets per game.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

hims and Scola spit minutes almost evenly.

Scola still avg. 3 more per game.

6. Htown's2kFinest

everyone bash his guy so bad in New York cuz of his contract and that he didn't fit with their system but he seems like a very good defensive player. I like what I seen today from him. Finally someone with size that can play some D. to bad we lost tho...

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

HAHAHA NICE.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

What's his excuse for averaging 4 rebounds in nearly 30 minutes? Battier averages more rebounds than him.

9. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I see Jeffries a fit here especially against a team like L.a who can front a guy like Odom taking him off the game. You need a guy who can do that on this team.

10. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Agree on defense. He needs to do a lot of layup drills in practice.

11. PeppermintCandy

He seems to be about as good at putting the ball in the basket as Hayes. He missed a ton of layups at first but got better as the game progressed. His size made him an easier target for pick-and-rolls tonight. And his defense seems pretty solid.

I don't think his good play was just the adrenalin from debuting on a new team. He looks like he has some hustle and grit in him, as most defensive-minded players do. I can see Adelman gradually giving him Landry's PF minutes off the bench.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Well said. His contract is really the turn off, but the guy can easily be a rotation player for sure.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I've always said that role players like Jeffries and others are readily available through free agency and minor transactions. In this case, JJ was a a throw in/salary dump in a much larger deal similar to Posey when he was acquired by the Heat about 5 years ago.

14. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

He was taking pick n rolls and denying entry passes into the post do to his quickness and wingspan that is phenomenal. Our defensive wings keep getting quicker, more athletic and longer Jeffries >>>> Ariza >>>> Battier

15. Old Man Rock

I don't know, you tell me. But first stop exxagerating the truth to make him sound worst. He is what he is and over his career he has averaged 23 minutes and 4.4 rebounds. That gets him closer to 6 rebounds in 30 minutes. yeah that's still not good for a pf but he has played just as much sf as he has pf.

The bottom line is he affected the game in a positive way as much as anybody on the team. You can argue this if you want but watch the game and tell me if that is not true. He made west miss... He kept the ball alive on the offensive boards and he almost had a double double. His wingspan and height affected the game. And if you like many on this board said think he is trash that is your right. But for me he brings something to this team we dearly need and something that I don't think Hill or Armstrong will and that is a defensive tenacity on the inside. I hope we can improve that this offseason but if we don't I see Jefferies contributing and helping us win.

16. peter_liang

peter_liang Member

anyway,i don't think the old men(head coach) arranged a good play!imo
    peter

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

His season average is 28.1 minutes and 4.3 rebounds.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1717

18. Old Man Rock

#58 Old Man Rock, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

not impressed with JJ at all.... hes nothing special

20. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His weaknesses are shooting and finishing around the basket. Having seen a few Knicks games this year, he is a very poor finisher around the basket(similar to Chuck but he doesn't have the excuse of being short). But, his defense and length should be very useful for the rest of this season.