1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy VS Howard Stern

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Joe-House, Apr 8, 2014.

1. houtown

houtown Member

I agree with you that stern doesn't know anything about basketball or JVG's history, and this was a rant in general that went off course, but at the same time, from watching JVG coach the Rockets during the Tmac and Yao era, I never though he was a championship quality coach, at the time. I like JVG from what i hear from him, and have nothing personal against him, but i wasn't a big fan of him as a Rockets coach. Maybe with the right defensive team he could win a championship in the future, but i just happen to agree with stern that having a certain acumen is required for success and was just going on JVGs past.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

And I doubt he gives one flying fawk about it, it was a radio bit after JVG called him out. It's what he does, it's a schtick and he does it well to be King of All Media with a net worth well above $500 million. Those tickets are comped by Madison Square Garden to get celebrities in the seats, anyways.

Stern wakes up a 4am every morning, does his show for 5 hours and the rest of his day are full of meetings. He's 60, he gets tired. He also spends 12-14 hours a day on his off days doing America's Got Talent. I really don't get why some are so pissy over this, I guess it's just the love for JVG and the hate some still carry for Stern, and 90% of these people go off the name alone and have never even heard the show.

Or maybe there's just a lot of O&A fan bois in this here thread trolling us Stern fans.

Anyways, peace and love, peace and love. HEY NOW!

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So, are you standing up for what Stern said or simply letting it go because it's a schtick? It sounds like you're doing a little of both. I'm not sure why you'd have to defend him though, when what JVG did was his own schtick, so there's nothing to defend.

And I agree he doesn't care. I only brought it up because Stern shouldn't be confused with an analyst.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have no issues at all with his thoughts on this matter. He's not even a real Knick fan, he just enjoys the experience of MSG. They even quizzed him once and I believe the only player he knew who played for the Knicks was Melo.

Yes, I'm doing a little bit of both. I love JVG, big fan, but I also thought what Stern said, voicing his opinion on the matter the way he does was entertaining when it happened. I need the entertainment while sitting in the office every day of the week.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

JVG took an 8 seed to the NBA finals. I would say he is at or near the top of the NBA coaching ladder. Beyond that, I think he is by far the #1 NBA color analyst. I have no problem with Howard taking shots at him, since JVG did call him out, but he is wrong about JVG never being #1, and anyone that knows anything about JVG knows that he could not be more wrong than to question his dedication and work ethic. Those black circles under his eyes aren't from fighting Alonzo Mourning.

6. lupon100

lupon100 Member

Why is it that the sterns hate JVG?

1 person likes this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

Howard Stern ******g rules!!! JVG better come up with somethin.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why the defensive tone?

I had no idea this was such a hot button topic. One fan can do whatever they like, but it becomes awkward when the whole collective of fans is getting up and leaving early.

I see a similar phenomenon here in Phoenix. Everyone comes to every hockey game wearing the away teams jerseys, especially when that team is at the top of the standings - but yet, no single person claims to be a bandwagon fan. Well, they have to be out there.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Fact is: if the positions were reversed and Sterm was an nba analyst, he would have said the same thing as JVG did. JVGs comment was classic Stern. However, JVG never would have said what Stern did

Big Stern fan here. And probably the boards #1 JVG fan, no matter what Carl Herrara / Van Gundier says

10. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

JVG made it to #1 in announcing, best NBA announcer in the game

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not defensive. Just answering the question. The question was "who goes to a game and leaves early". Folks who feel like something else is more worthy of their time. Sports is entertainment. Everyone is not a mega-passionate fan. That doesn't mean they can't spend a portion of their time enjoying a game in whatever manner they enjoy it.

12. VanityHalfBlack

JVG didn't even say Sterns name but generalized that people who don't stay for games should't be allowed front row tickets. Stern is confrontational and picks on anyone in the media field because he is the king of all media. Come on JVG step up and respond back!

13. dragician

dragician Member

EXACTLY!!!! Stern is an ahole,

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Damn, pick on someone your own size and stature Stern. This **** is pathetic.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

uhh Stern's job is to ruffle some feathers and do this type of thing. That's what's entertaining about him. He's a personality. This is not a big deal at all. Stern brings up valid points, so did JVG.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought that was what I said. I love them both.

Some of you guys in this thread are so busy defending stern, you don't even recognize a Stern fan when you sees one. Even after I said I love him. Sigh

I understand and like what stern does. But stern did seem to drag it on a bit. I'm willing to bet he got flamed by Knicks fans on social media. So he needed a comeback. Both his fans and his hatas probably piled on with JVGs comments

Stern sounded defensive from my experience listening to his shows. Howard. No need to get defensive.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Stern sucks. JVG rules. End of story.

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

JVG should agree to do an interview on Stern's show, then leave half way through.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This is probably it. I bet people were talking **** about it afterwards that made Stern go on the extra long defensive rant lol

20. VanityHalfBlack

Nice one. LOL.