1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy picks Rockets to win the title

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 30, 2013.

1. conquistador#11

Glorious leader from mid 2000s has spoken. all else is irrelevant.

2. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

JVG: Rockets will win it this season, otherwise time for change

3. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

He was at the game on opening night.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

What's the deal with JVG's homer-ism towards the Rockets. It was the Rockets that knocked out his beloved Knicks in the Finals that went 7 games. Think about that, a franchise you coached to the Finals that got knocked out by the same franchise that you never coached passed the first round.

6. quizone

quizone Member

love is blind.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

8. TheresTheDagger

Because some Houston fans offered to pay Van Gundy's fine in 2005 of $100,000. Van Gundy received the fine for calling out NBA officials who were allegedly directed by the league office to single out Yao in the playoffs for moving picks. All of this supposedly in the wake of Mark Cuban sending a tape to the league office complaining about illegal picks.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think he despised it in terms of doubting whether the conclusions are correct. He just doesn't like the fact that teams increasingly play the same style and there is a lack of variety in the game. I bet if he still coached he'd run the same system given the rules, he just wants to move the 3 point line back so teams can come up with different solutions on how to score.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am sure he picked the Rockets to win the title when he was coaching them (at least I would have hoped so), and look what we have to show for it.

Words are cheap.
    Getting fired is expensive.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe he liked the city & organization's culture, and how he was treated here. A finals appearance is nothing to scoff at, but those NY fans..

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't he still live in Houston? I was under the impression that when Les fired him, he chose to stay put, because he didn't want to move his daughters out of school again.

And, of course, he did start the Red Rowdie's section. Paid for the seats.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Hate JVG as a coach of the rockets because it wasn't very entertaining, but I think he is the best commentator in the business.

14. heypartner

He always coached with a lot of knowledge of primary analytics to win a game. His emphasis was huge on quality possessions. He hates TOs and bad shots. That's why he's a defensive coach with "ball control" offense. He could probably teach other offenses, but he believes in low post play and tough defense. He also said in this interview how much he values FTs.

edit: check myself. He is talking about GM analytics. Curious comment how he said GMs are telling coaches. Is it more that, or more GMs picking players.

#114 heypartner, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  15. heypartner

There are many NFL fans that love defense, and consider it entertaining. I think many soccer fans are similar. I'm that way with basketball. I don't see entertainment based solely on offense.

16. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

It's good to see JVG showing love to Houston. He still lives here. He likes this city a lot.

17. davestrate

davestrate Member

Lives in West U (Vanderbilt ST)

18. theprof

theprof Member

I see JVG all the time at the Texans games. My guess is that he lives here.

I think coaches depend on the level of talent they coach. The Rox were young and raw, Mchale is great in his role and has fixed a lot of those issues. Once the Rox are ready, then bring in a closer like JVG.

19. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Fair enough. There are a lot of stuff that we don't know of. But could he please draw some set plays when it's needed?

20. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Yeah he lives 10 blocks from me in West U.