1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Luhnow hired as General Manager of the Houston Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheDreams, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Next move: lock up Greg Swindell and Doug Drabek.

4 people like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if he's able to spot a few guys capable of that, he'll be more valuable than the one who can do it.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I agree. I like the move, just depressed about the sorry state they are in today.

DD

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros hire Jeff Luhnow as general manager
    Stephen Goff
    Houston Astros Examiner
    December 8, 2011

DALLAS -- The Houston Astros announced the hiring of St. Louis Cardinals vice president of player procurement Jeff Luhnow Wednesday as the club's new general manager at the Winter Meetings.

Houston will officially introduce Luhnow as the team's GM during a Thursday afternoon news conference at Minute Maid Park.

Astros new owner Jim Crane and president and CEO George Postolos went through an extensive interview process to find the right candidate with a strong background in scouting and player development.

Examiner.com confirmed last Friday that Luhnow interviewed for the position and was a major candidate factoring into the mix.

Also, Bill Geivett (Rockies), J.J. Picollo (Royals), Logan White (Dodgers) and Dan Jennings (Marlins) were other candidates in the running.

Ultimately, Luhnow emerged as Houston's guy.

"We're pleased to have Jeff as the new general manager of the Astros," Postolos said in a statement late Wednesday night. "Jeff is the perfect fit for the Astros because of his track record in scouting and player development during his eight-plus seasons with the Cardinals. The Astros strive to develop one of the best systems in baseball and create a consistent winner at the major league level. Jeff has the knowledge, skills and experience to lead the baseball operations efforts at all levels and help the Astros achieve this vision.

"Jeff has demonstrated the ability to inspire and motivate staff in the front office and out in the field. He was born and raised in Mexico. His bicultural background will be an asset in recruiting players from Latin America and developing the Hispanic market for Los Astros."

The 45-year-old Luhnow had overseen St. Louis' First-Year Player Draft since 2005, with several of his picks recognized as being extremely productive, such as Jaime Garcia, Allen Craig and Jon Jay.

Several of his draftees contributed to the Cardinals' 2011 World Series title.

The Cardinals' farm system had the best record in baseball in 2010 and have captured five minor league championships since 2006.

Luhnow possesses the ability to build and maintain a strong farm system -- something Crane and Postolos both desire for sustained success.

He's been part of three World Series appearances (two titles).

Luhnow takes over for Astros interim general manager David Gottfried and former GM Ed Wade, who was dismissed from his duties shortly after Crane's group assumed ownership of the team.

For the latest Astros news, click on the Subscribe button at the top of the page. Also, be sure to follow Houston Astros Examiner Stephen Goff on Facebook and Twitter, or email sgoff80@yahoo.com.

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good move...Low key move, this guy is tons better than Wade at player evaluations. He's not a rockstar GM, but he can definitely continue our youth movement.

9 more years of Pujols in our division. I would rate all AL WEST teams above us right now...we got a lot of work and hard times ahead.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

from a cardinals fan: "i'm more upset at losing luhnow than i am losing pujols."

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Link
    Hopefully, this guy is pretty in-tune with St. Louis baseball....

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very good move

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Carlos Lee will get traded this offseason, calling it now. Luhnow drafted Wallace and will give him ever chance to succeed. I'm not saying we'll get much for Carlos but he won't be in an Astro uniform come opening day.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm betting he is moved in July, just because then we are talking about him being owed $7-8 million at that point. I think the Rangers are a great fit for him.

12. msn

msn Member

Doing business with Nolan is dangerous. We'll probably have to pay all of Caballogordo's salary, give the Rangers a blue chip prospect, and play half of our "home" games with the Rangers up in Arlington.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He may get traded, but it'll be more about getting rid of him and at least some of his salary than it will be bringing in prospects that will be part of our future. Agree about Brett Wallace. If Lee is on the team, he'll play 1B and Wallace will likely be sent back to the minors. If Lee is traded, Wallace will be our starting 1B.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Loving what I'm hearing with the Luhnow presser!! It actually has me excited about Astros baseball.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I like this guy.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I really like this guy's personality. He comes off as very level-headed and savvy.

Wade always seemed like a dirty businessman or a politician to me

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

any streaming links?

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Presser is over but I'm sure it will be up on Astros.com later.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not an exciting hire but really, aside from Friedman, who would be? He sounds capable so we'll wait and see. At least Cardinals fans aren't laughing at us like Philly fans did when we hired Wade. That's a good sign.

20. msn

msn Member

Go Astros! Turn this thing back where it belongs.

"Where does it belong," you ask? I'm happy to tell you. It belongs here:
    • Houston Astros, perennial contenders.
    • what Rangers? did the NYC hockey team move to Texas? There's another baseball team in Texas???