1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Luhnow & A.J. Hinch appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2020.

1. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

To be fair he does say in the replies he would've supported the Astros re-singing Hinch if they hadn't extended Baker since he's served his suspension, so it's not like Olney is being a hypocrite on that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. msn

msn Member

Astros getting properly outmaneuvered by the ******* east coast. If Springer goes there followed by Correa, that's going to hurt 50x worse than Ryan to the Rangers.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jumpin the gun a bit? I’d let it play out. I have no issue letting other teams over play former Astros entering their mid to late 30s.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

FIFY

5. msn

msn Member

Absolutely jumping the gun. I should have clarified the "in-that-case" nature of the post. I also don't mind other teams sporting former Astros greats: unless they're the Yankees, Red Sox, or Braves. Or Dodgers. Screw those guys, and the stick-horses they rode in on.

AznH-TownFan, awc713 and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Red Sox sure seem like a good fit for Springer. He’s from the area, they are anxious to be competitive again, they have a hole in CF, and they have the money. But aside from them I think the Astros are the most likely landing spot for George.

Correa’s future is so murky. I could totally see him signing a fairly cheap extension, but could also see him being a $200M player. Too many unknowns across the game and for him personally. If he has a great season his market will be much wider given his age, position, and ceiling.

Depending on how they address the top of their rotation and of course how the pandemic has affected their payroll constraints, it’s feasible that Houston can afford both Springer and Correa.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ESPN was openly speculating on where Springer would end up during yesterday's broadcast. Obvious link to the Red Sox, but casually threw in the Mets due to new ownership wanting to make a splash and, stop me if you've heard this before, Houston playoff CF hero has wife who is likes NY (she's from there).

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The love affair with the northeastern cities/teams gets old.
    The cities are garbage and the teams get away with everything.
    The media eats it up

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd explore heavily front-loaded extensions for 5 (or more) years... with a player option after year 3. If they over-perform, they opt out and re-negotiate (or hit free agency). If they regress, get injured, or simply hold steady they have financial security, but deals that will pay less as the years go on so that hopefully there's enough team flexibility to still make additions.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A JD Martinez type of contract seems like it would work for Springer. I think the variance for Correa is just too wide. With 2 healthy mvp type seasons and a full market recovery he’d be a $250M+ player. So for him I would think just a 2 year deal for a high payout would make some sense since it gets him out of that deep SS class but if I were predicting I would guess he will explore free agency as soon as he can.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correa is young enough to where if he and his agent play things right, he should be able to get two large pay-days... even if he's not the MVP-caliber player everybody expected him to be.

Starts with signing an extension this off-season to buy out 1-2 FA years (and he gets paid a full year sooner)... then he can re-up or hit the market before age 30, after a new CBA is signed. J.D. Drew worked out a similar deal with the Red Sox... can't say he was ever truly worth it, but he was a key contributor on some of those playoff teams (much like Correa has been as well).

raining threes likes this.
  12. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

A late response to be sure, but **** YOU.

13. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Ryan has always been and and always will be a whiny shithead. For me it'll be 50000X worse. I loved his son, Reid though. Crane dumped him like a used rubber for his son.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Ehh.. Nimmo and Conforto were actually better than Springer this season and both are 3-4 years younger than George. They also have a log jam with Dominic Smith being stuck behind Alonso at 1B. So he plays left and then McNeil also plays some left because of Cano at 2B. If the DH is still in the NL next season maybe Springer makes some sense. I think the Mets will make some moves though. I could see them going after Bauer.

deGrom
    Bauer
    Syndergaard (coming off TJ surgery)

That would be nasty.

I think Boston and Atlanta would be potential teams for Springer.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Meh.

When the season ends "promote" Baker and bring back Hinch.

See how the outfield trade market is. Offer Springer what you think he is worth, if he costs more, trade for someone like Cain.

awc713, raining threes and treyk3 like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If not Hinch, bring back Cora. **** it. Those guys were awesome.

19. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Which cities are garbage? And why? I love DC, NY and Boston, great towns.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

DC is not really the northeast - it's the South.