1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Balke for League Commissioner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Doctor Robert, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Serious question: What are the reasons/accomplishments that would support Stern continuing as commissioner? Why should someone like him be in charge of the greatest game on Earth?

I can list reasons I think he should be replaced:
    1) Appearance of biased officiating. I don't know if it is true, but is there anyone that doesn't think superstars and big market teams don't get favorable calls? How many times have you heard a TV commentator say something like, "that is a superstar call".
    2) Poor officiating. NBA is a difficult game to call, but even considering that fact, the officiating in my opinion is the worst in all of professional sports.
    3) Half the NBA game coverage is non-HD. I pay for the League Pass and I'm stuck in the 80's.
    4) Stupid blackout rules. Why is a Rockets/Spurs game blacked out in Austin?
    5) The existence of the LA Clippers. WHY???????????? Every year it is the same thing. An incredible talent like Blake Griffin gets trapped in LA. Can you imagine what a marketing tool he would be if he was on a team that was committed to winning? Every league has good and bad franchises, but the Clippers are an embarrassment to the term "sport".
    6) The dictator thing. How much public relations BS do we (the people that pay) have to put up with, when our favorite coaches get fined $100k? Coming from a guy that is 5'7" and 130lbs... David Stern has a SERIOUS Napolean complex and it is a distraction to everything he SHOULD be doing as commissioner.
    7) So he rode MJ's coattails to moderate success? The last time I checked, the NFL was kicking his a$$, and I don't see the tide changing. The league's most recognizable personality (Lebron) is a MORON. I don't see an equivalent marketing surge for the NBA, even if Lebron wins 6 in a row (God help us).
    8) Most of all... he is an antagonizer. Rather than working with cities and fans to improve the league, you get the Houston and Seattle situations. Thank God for Jeff Balke and Clutchfans.

2. Steve_Francis_rules

The league was near bankruptcy when he took over and now it's relevant on a global scale and brings in billions per year. That's reason enough.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't let facts get in the way of a good 8-point rant.

Adam Silver is going to take over soon and things arent' going to change much, FWIW.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this. he globalized the brand rather than making it more popular only in the states. nfl kicking his ass? in the states. how about in all of europe and asia?

the nba also has one of the best public images right now. players are hardly ever in trouble with drugs or violence which is prevalent in the nfl and baseball. they also have the best community outreach programs of any pro league in the states.

all of that is due to stern running a tight ship. dress code, drug tests, community service, and fines of disorderly conduct are all methods to create a clean image which helps sell a global brand.

yes league pass needs to be available in HD, but you have to understand that the broadcast is via a local feed. if the local station airing the game isn't in HD, then how can league pass be in HD? the nba might think about helping those channels broadcast is HD, but in the end its not really up to the NBA. the main issues are the officiating and the ability of superstars to leave their teams for bigger markets.

1 person likes this.
  5. Doctor Robert

It's true that he was in charge when the NBA pulled itself out of that mess, but he took over in 1984, which was a long time ago. He also had the assistance of an incredible talent surge at the same time he took over (including MJ and Hakeem).

I don't know about what actions Stern has been responsible for that made basketball more popular on a global scale. I know that individual owners have also helped globalize the league by seeking out international talent and bring it to the US.

6. Doctor Robert

You're in my sig... tread lightly. :)

7. Doctor Robert

Yes, this is true about the league's image in general.

About the HD... it is hard to believe he can tamper with municipal politics, but can't have an influence on a TV camera.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Do you think Silver would rule with the same iron hand as Stern? He doesn't come across as having the same kind of personality.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I really appreciate the confidence, but I have no desire to manage this league. :) But, I'll pretend.

Officiating in all the leagues has issues. In baseball, there is no clear cut strike zone. Whatever the guy behind the plate thinks is the strike zone is what it is for that game. In football, holding could be called on every play, but it isn't.

There is no doubt superstars get calls, but frankly, that is part of what has allowed the league to flourish. The NBA, more than any other professional sports league, is driven by its stars for better or worse.

It's also the most difficult to officiate. The game moves exceedingly fast, the guys are enormous and there are only three officials, who can't see every angle. It also doesn't help that guys foul, travel, carry the ball and are guilty of 3 seconds on literally every possession. Unless people want this to be a game of free throws, certain things we have to live with.

My biggest concern is how quickly the Tim Donaghy scandal was swept under the rug. No way he was the only official on the take. That worries me far more than the bad calls or lack of them.

[quote[3) Half the NBA game coverage is non-HD. I pay for the League Pass and I'm stuck in the 80's.[/quote]

To me, this is a non-issue. The reason that happens is because not every team or venue is equipped with HD gear. Some of the venues don't have the capability for it and some teams don't want to pay for it. I'm pretty sure we can all live with non-HD broadcasts on occasion.

From what I understand, this is to protect teams who want to monetize their games. It is stupid for sure, but only impacts a handful of situations.

You don't see MLB shuttering the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Kansas City Royals. The only reason they moved the Expos is because they were losing money. The Clippers make money despite being horrible.

There is definitely some of this at work and it can be frustrating. Stern won the right to make a lot of decisions because he really did take a league that was on the verge of falling apart and bring it together, but he definitely takes it too far sometimes.

Not moderate success, unREAL success. Nothing will eclipse pro football in America because it is the most widely appreciated sport. Part of that is marketing, but part of it is inherent in the game and in the ritual of Sunday afternoons. The fact that every game is magnified and virtually all or on Sunday gives them a HUGE advantage, but that doesn't mean the NBA's accomplishments are substantial.

Stern was smart enough to realize that the success of the league was predicated on marquee superstars. Without them, the average fan loses interest quickly. Star power can make or break a team. MJ, as annoying as it was for fans outside Chicago to watch him be given god status, was no different from Magic, Bird, Kareem, Kobe, LaBron, etc. It's a means for driving sales to fans who don't really care about basketball as a whole.

Well, technically, that wasn't on him. The quandary of keeping teams versus public financing is complicated. I'm glad the Rockets are still in Houston, but the Toyota Center, Minute Maid and Reliant Stadium have created serious budgetary issues thanks to the recession. In cities like Sacramento, where the city itself is facing extreme financial problems, it's hard not to understand their lack of willingness to finance a new facility for the Kings.

In Seattle, the problem was compounded by the fact that they had just done renovations to their old arena and were still paying that off. We're still paying off renovations to the Astrodome Bud Adams demanded when the Oilers were here.

For Houston, I still believe the investment was worth it. There is no doubt the building of Minute Maid, the George R. Brown and Toyota Center have revitalized that end of downtown and have contributed to the renaissance the entire downtown area has experienced. Discovery Green, the Houston Pavilions (including House of Blues), the re-vamped Market Square, slant parking (a major convenience), light rail and numerous other improvements to the downtown area are owed, at least in part, to those facilities.

But, that doesn't mean it works for every city and Stern's job is to get the best opportunity for his teams. Look, the Hornets were bleeding money like a hemophiliac after moving to NOLA, but the league propped them up after Hurricane Katrina, not wanting to do any further damage to the spirit of that city. Now, the league owns the team after the owners bailed out and they still can't find an ownership group. That's bad for everybody.

I'm not a huge Stern fan, but not everything here is his fault. He could do a better job dealing with officiating and he does often act like a petty tyrant, but it could be worse. It could be Bud Selig.

1 person likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Jeff Balke becomes Commissioner of the NBA, does it mean David Stern becomes a Clutchfans moderator? If so, I'm all for it. I want to see David Stern laying the smack down on people here.

1 person likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great post overall, but I take issue with your thoughts on officiating.

1. Is it the most difficult to officiate? Probably.... but then, as you note, there are plenty of officiating difficulties in the other sports, as well. Regardless, it's really just an excuse. If the NBA has become such a HUGE, UNREAL business success, then how about Stern shell out and put another official out there? Wouldn't that help? How about coaches challenges?

2. The abuse of the rules. The reason guys travel, carry the ball, 3 seconds, etc. on every play is because they can. Start making those calls, and they'll stop. When the NBA changed the hand-check rules for guards in the 90's we didn't see any major issues with guards starting to foul out, or excessive FT's, etc. Rather, perimeter players learned to play defensively differently / without fouling. I don't think it'd be a FT fest if officials actually called the fouls by the book. The game would certainly be different, though. Point being, change the actual rules or make calls according to the rules. The situation we have is calls are made randomly, which means officials for whatever reasons (randomness, betting, favoritism, being pushed by the league office, etc.) are impacted the game outside the rule book. In that way, a Sacramento Kings fan can literally and probably honestly say they were cheated out of a trip to the NBA Finals earlier this decade, probably to keep the Laker/Shaq/Kobe machine (star league, right?!!) rolling.

3. Stars league. Yes, it is a stars league. And yes, perhaps that is what makes the league a success, financially. But at some point you have to look past the economics. I want to watch fair competition, and see who the stars are out of that. My guess is it'd still be the same players, because they are legitimately the better players, but that doesn't diminish the fact that giving those players star calls absolutely does impact games, and W-L records, and results. Again, it's about sports on a fundamental level, to me. Whether it's a pre-schooler or professional, I think the whole concept is about a fair competition between foes to see who is better. We don't have this. Instead, we have the league changing rules to accomodate certain star payers favorite moves - see Lebron's crab dribble. So in the past rule changes are made to keep players like Wilt from completely dominating, and today we have the league cow-towing to the stars. I don't care for either, but still an interesting difference...

I think there's too much emphasis on the huge financial success the league has become under Stern's rule. So? What do I care as a fan? I guess I benefit somewhat with nicer arenas, better access to more games, and a more international flair, which has improved talent level to some degree. But I don't care about owners and players making ridiculous money. And of course, I am gouged by the ticket prices, merchandise costs, etc. I do really really like basketball. So, yes, I need a legitimate professional league

1 person likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

selig, bettman, tagliabue, garber, stern, silver, balke...

one of these does not fit the sequence :confused:

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've read that a 4th official was, at one point, considered. I'd think, at the very least, a replay or booth official would make a lot of sense, but it's tough because there are SO many calls made during a game, having to constantly challenge them could present issues in terms of slowing the game down. But, I'd totally be for some additional officiating.

[qutote]2. The abuse of the rules. The reason guys travel, carry the ball, 3 seconds, etc. on every play is because they can. Start making those calls, and they'll stop. When the NBA changed the hand-check rules for guards in the 90's we didn't see any major issues with guards starting to foul out, or excessive FT's, etc. Rather, perimeter players learned to play defensively differently / without fouling. I don't think it'd be a FT fest if officials actually called the fouls by the book. The game would certainly be different, though. Point being, change the actual rules or make calls according to the rules. The situation we have is calls are made randomly, which means officials for whatever reasons (randomness, betting, favoritism, being pushed by the league office, etc.) are impacted the game outside the rule book. In that way, a Sacramento Kings fan can literally and probably honestly say they were cheated out of a trip to the NBA Finals earlier this decade, probably to keep the Laker/Shaq/Kobe machine (star league, right?!!) rolling.[/quote]

Virtually every Dream Shake was a travel. Should they have called all of those? Shaq using his bulk to secure position in almost always an offensive foul, but is it his fault guys are smaller than him and can't hold their position - which is the only reason it would get called in the first place?

I'm not saying the rules shouldn't be enforced, but part of what made the game so much fun to watch over the years is the grace and fluidity of these players that often circumvented the letter of the law. Sometimes, they superseded them. I certainly think calls could be tightened up - flopping, frankly, would be first on my list - but there is an element of the game that comes from the way games are called.

As fans, we all do, but we are in the minority. Take something you like, but aren't a big fan of. For me, it's movies. I like them, but I'm not a film buff or someone who cares that much about the Academy Awards or whatever. I don't really care if the integrity of film is hurt by me liking a crappy action movie. I like it. End of story. But, I'm sure there are critics and hardcore fans who think I am part of the reason the film industry sucks so badly.

When Yao joined the Rockets, millions of people became fans of basketball. Sure, it was annoying that many of them didn't care if the team won so long as Yao did well, but that is the way it works. Without that star power, the league doesn't exist.

When Wilt was in the league, the ONLY significant rule change they made was goal tending and much of that was because of his size and athleticism. But, there were those that claimed the reason it was done was to prop up the Celtics dynasty, which brought the league a lot of success.

In the late 70's, the NBA and ABA nearly destroyed one another. It took not only their merger, but the willingness of the NBA to accept that dunk competitions and a slightly greater focus on style was important to the casual fan. Is it silly? Of course. But, it is what grew the league from something that was less popular than golf and tennis to arguably the 2nd most popular sport in America.

Look, I'm not saying you throw out the rule book when Chris Paul steps on the court, but I also wouldn't want to force every player to fit in, skillset be damned.

You may not like them making a lot of money, but why don't you just watch the D-League or Arena Football or college basketball/football or minor league baseball? Why do you watch pro sports? Because you want to see the best players in the world. Even you aren't immune to that.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Since we're on this topic, and someone wants me to be commish, here are some things I WOULD change.

1. I'd look into widening the court. Players are substantially bigger today than they were when the game was invented. Making the court wider and even longer, by even 1-2 feet, could open up new lanes and make more room to get up and down the floor.

2. I'd look into widening the key for many of the same reasons.

3. I'd establish a much more stringent review of officials and make that data public. It would eliminate much of the criticism of them and help fans better understand how they are evaluated.

4. I'd seriously tighten salary cap rules and punish teams much more severely for both going over and for cost cutting measures. Teams should be required to have both maximum and minimum salary requirements and they should be sanctioned heavily for violating those rules.

5. Teams would be required to acknowledge their cities in team apparel. Nothing pissed me off more than when the Rockets said they would not put Houston even on their away jerseys after they got new uni's and despite the fact that taxpayers bought them a new building.

Those are off the top of my head. I'm sure I'd think of more.

2 people like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's worth getting you on the job just for these two changes. :)

Jeff for Commish!!

16. Doctor Robert

Jeff - thanks for the response. It demonstrates many qualities lacking in the commissioner :cool: This truly was a personal rant that has been building upi, so when I heard the SVG situation, it brought me right back to that Dallas series, JVG's $100k fine, and all the things that I find irritating about the league. As a rule, I just find the "shut up and smile" tactic that Stern takes on many disputes highly counterproductive. It reminds me of an incapable parent yelling at their kid in a grocery store when their kids are just looking for attention. I equate that behavior from Stern with general incompetence, so I project that to other things about the league that I believe need improvement.

1) On biased officiating... I actually sympathize with the league when it comes to sweeping that issue under the rug. I believe that it was true, and like Jeff, I also believe that it affected other officials. BUT, that issue could have seriously damaged the league, and I don't believe there is any solution that could have fixed it other than hiding it. That said, if the league paid more attention and was more serious about the officiating, they probably could have noticed a problem before it had playoff implications. Regarding the "star" calls, I agree with JayZ750 - if you enforce the rules correctly and consistently, players will adapt. I don't think Hakeem's greatness was built upon a foundation of travelling (which he did).... it was built on unbelievable skill.

2) To improve the officiating, I would also start with adding an official on the court. If that wouldn't do the trick, add one on the court and one on the side... If that wouldn't do the trick add... you get the idea. Would it really be cost prohibitive? Put out of bound sensors in the floor, have line judges, station the officials on each side of play... we went to the moon and built the iPhone. There is a solution.

3) The HD thing isn't a huge deal, other than the fact it seems so goofy that a professional league doesn't broadcast in HD. I know it is local channels, but I get YouTube in higher quality than NBA broadcasts. It would seem pretty easy for the NBA to own the cameras or provide cheap loans to local channels to purchase what they need. You don't have to broadcast locally in HD to record and send HD to the league.

5) The Clippers make money so that is probably hard to argue with from the league office's perspective, but in combination with the lottery/draft rules, they are a talent destroying machine. As Jeff said, the NBA is a star-based league more than any other. If a good baseball player gets trapped on a dead-end team, it makes less of a difference to the league than in basketball. The LA Clippers kill a top 10 player in the NBA once every 4-6 years. It will be interesting to watch Griffin's career. Will he learn to lose on the Clippers, then take his losing ways to another team that expects him to turn it around, but that never happens?

7) OK, it is true about Stern's past successes. This is actually a question I have - How much of the league's continued success has been Stern? As we know in sports coaching, a great coach might be a great coach period, or the perfect person at the perfect time. Which one was Stern, and is it still his time?

8) Good explanation given limited space. Probably way to in-depth and emotional to be 1/8th of a personal rant.

17. trugoy

trugoy Member

The commissioner does not work for the "fans" or the "players".

He is responsible to the 30 owners, and he has full support from them, if he ever lost support from even a handful of owners, he would be out the door.

All these issues only matter to fans and players, what matters to owners is the capital value of their teams, as long as that is going up, everything else is just petty details.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The NFL has a much better attitude about officiating. They have a rep that comes on tv and explains controversial calls and the rationale behind them. Contrast that with Stern, who's more "you don't like the call, too bad. And you owe me 25K, by the way".

The NBA is hard to officiate. No argument there. But doesn't college play the same game? Why is the officiating so different in college? Can you say that for the NFL and college football? Maybe you can, I can't say that I've paid enough attention.

One of the huge problems I have w/the NBA is the schedule. Out of the 3 major sports, the NBA is the one where W/L is affected the most by scheduling. I saw the other day where the Rockets had the most sets of back-to-backs in the league. Why isn't it equal? I guess it could even out by the end of the year. But when two teams are playing and one is on its 4th game in 5 nights and the other is at home and rested, the outcome is almost always predetermined. That should have been fixed a long time ago. Fans are getting short-changed in that situation.

Stern's recent comments re: SVG on Mike & Mike were ridiculous and one of the big issues I have with him. Such an a-hole.

19. Doctor Robert

WTF? I love being lectured about how the real world works. Are you serious?

We don't have to play Kevin Bacon to realize that:
    Happy Fans = Ticket Sales = Money
    Happy Players = Well Behaved Players = Happy Fans = Ticket Sales = Money

So, even in your cold harsh world, it pays to make everyone happy.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The NBA is MUCH harder to officiate than college. I watched some of the conference tournament games while having LPBB on at the same time and the speed and flow are at another level in the NBA. The college game is in slow motion.

If you wanna see truly bad officiating, watch FIBA.