1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Whitlock rejoins ESPN - plans to create "black Grantland"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Richie_Rich, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It was more of a sarcastic post from me. I should have made it more clear. I like Grantland the way it is, especially with Jalen Rose and that other guy. I do agree with the guy's assessment of First Take though.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't see the sense in targeting a strictly black audience because they are something like 15% (?) of the population. I think if anything they are targeting people who are attracted to a kinda hip-hop culture in their mid-twenties that isn't strictly black. That's a significant percentage of the population. Jalen Rose is a perfect example of a personality that appeals to everyone. If Whitlock aims to appeal to a strictly black audience I think he will fail because it excludes.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Expect content to be ultra-black to appeal to suburban male teens who need a little spice in their boring lives.

6. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

100% true.

Jalen's angle is to be transparent about things related to the NBA subculture -- especially about players. It isn't necessary to say a 'black player' does this or goes here... just by mentioning names 99% of true fans will know exactly where Jalen's coming from. At times, he will explain how something 'may go down with brothas' but he does this to give insight/context when telling stories to a mainstream audience. It's all about providing access for entertainment purposes, and it's very effective. (coming from a white guy, here)

Whitlock's approach is the exact opposite. His schtick is to alienate the caucasian viewer and 'empower' the African-American athlete/coach/GM, etc. when he perceives that a racially-charged injustice or affront has been committed. It's a tired act popularized by the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. What's more, this form of racial polarization has no place in commercial sports media. Save it for satellite radio.

7. rudan

rudan Member

They should have him do a show cohosted with John Rocker, call it ebony and ivory :cool: