1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Terry traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of non-guaranteed contracts for Jason Terry and two 2nd rounders?

1. YES

483 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

139 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Fixed.

2. bmd

bmd Member

Wasn't he injured? Or maybe he didn't mesh with the style of play in Brooklyn.

I mean, he's a jump shooter so it's not like he was relying on supreme athleticism before anyway. I think last year was just an anomaly.

His 2 pt% may go down some as he ages, but he went from .498 the year before to only .327 last year. That's too big of a drop to just chalk it up to age.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Daryl Morey has never made a mistake in his life. If he traded Harden and Howard for conditional picks that we never ended up receiving it would be the smartest move in league history.

- no one ever

4. bmd

bmd Member

Personally, I agree with most of what Morey does.

It doesn't always work out because nobody can see into the future, but logically he makes the right moves at the time.

He's a smart player at the table.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You say that, but it'd take some significant cognitive dissonance before this board really turned on him. If I proposed this offseason 6 months ago, everyone would consider it a disaster. Now we see threads about addition by subtraction, how Ariza's defense is more important than Parsons all-around game, and how we're going to be better this coming season.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one here thinks this off season went the way Morey planned as his first option. However, many people recognize that his plans for the off season made sense and were risks worth taking. And that the contingency plans he's executed (Ariza, maintaining flexibility, etc) also make sense.

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Looking to get an update. Does anyone actually think Jason Terry will ever wear a Rockets uniform?

The thought of that makes me sick to my stomach.

I may throw up if I ever see him in a Rockets Jersey.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pretty much sums it up.

Just because we didn't hit a home run this offseason doesn't necessarily mean we struck out and the game is over.

9. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Agreed. If you told them at the end of last year's Portland series we'd miss out on ALL the big name FA's, lose Parsons, only get back Ariza, while bringing back Joey Dorsey, they'd call for you to get banned. Their are ppl here that'll support Daryl Morey regardless if the moves are good, bad or ridiculously terrible. The focus is never on what we have, it's always on who we're aiming to get (Bosh, Lebron, KD, Love etc).

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

is educated conjecture an option?

below is a post i made earlier in this thread linking to posts i made a month ago which explained why we need this kind of trade, and predicted that our non guaranteed contracts would be moved for a larger expiring contract... even listing terry as a possible option.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9208952#post9208952

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In other words, Terry, just like any other players, is just one of the pieces being tossed in the Morey Assets Churning Machinery.

I don't necessarily object to what Morey is doing. But I am sympathetic to people's cynicism about whether a player we acquire is really a player we want on the court. It makes talking about a player's talent and how he may fit the team kind of a little less meaningful.

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Every time he shoots, the ball will bounce off the rim full court and and into the other bucket to score for the other team.

13. Fantasma Negro

I'd trade that NOP pick and Jet to OKC for Reggie Jackson

14. NotChandlerParsons

I think it's a distinct possibility. I don't really think this situation is comparable to Fisher. He'll be the first to go IF we make a trade, but I'm not sure Morey has anything up his sleeve at this point.

15. Chamillionaire

Ahh no.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I just don't get this angst. Teams do this all the time, but somehow there's something wrong with our GM doing it. It's the way the salary cap works.

17. platypus

platypus Member

Reggie Jackson is a stud

18. Asian Sensation

As would I. That NOP pick isn't going to be worth much in my opinion. Also, Reggie is a major upgrade over Bev. Getting Bev back to the bench where he belongs would be huge for us.

19. Fantasma Negro

Repped

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yup. to an extent. its all asset churning until we have a big 3. after that i think he will acquire role players for on court fit rather than asset churning. think back to how he build around yao/tmac. investing in vets like sura, barry, mutombo, etc... isn't asset churning since they have diminishing value due to age/regression.

morey plans backwards. he starts from the end point and thinks about the steps needed to get there. this was the key to predicting such a trade as i did this time. the goal would be rondo or another big time player. those players are traded for picks, young players, and expiring contracts. we had plenty of the first two, and no contract large enough to make a trade like that work cap-wise. thinking logically you can find what we could offer for such a player (NG contracts) and what kind of team would be interested (teams close to the LT), and whittle it down to which of those teams has a contract that matches the value of our NG contracts. it was a short list.

does this make talking about the move less meaningful? not really. less meaningful about what terry can add to on court production, but more meaningful about the direction the team is trying to go in. teams make cap moves and asset moves all the time. morey a bit more that most, but i don't think it takes away from the meaning of each move. after all, this move does impact on court production, whether that was the point of the move or not. we can debate the value of this move on two levels. on court, and asset management.

i think this move is great for both. as i outlined in the posts you quoted, its great for asset management because it allows for salary matching in a big trade this season. however its also good for on court production. sure terry is a shell of his former self, but that shell is still way better than gee/hopson/powell. he brings more talent than who he's replacing, he brings championship experience and a strong veteran presence in the locker room.

anyway you look at this trade its a net positive for the rockets.