1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Terry traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of non-guaranteed contracts for Jason Terry and two 2nd rounders?

1. YES

483 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

139 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

What was wrong with his last season? Only 35 games played, shot terribly

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Most of the people equivocating Terry to Fisher are people who are making PRO Terry arguments. It's a classic straw man.

If he can bring something to the team - GREAT! I don't think he's dirty. But in the meantime, he was a Maverick for along time, therefore screw Jason Terry until further notice. It's really that simple. :)

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ilyasova, Bass, and perhaps even Millsap are trades we make after acquiring a 3rd star. For that reason, I don't think they would be involved in a potential 3 way deal in September.

There are so many directions we could go right now. I'm not sure that our best option isn't to go into the season as is. Essentially, we would be crossing our fingers that several of our young players prove themselves and are worth more a few months into the season than they are now.

That's the problem with a guy like Canaan. I think he's got plenty of potential, but none of that potential is proven. Right now he's just a throw in for a trade.

Morey's goal is to solve our talent deficit at both PG and PF during this season. We might be better positioned to do that in December than we are right now.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Amen and amen. That's why Clutch would never trade Bima like an asset to another forum. :grin:

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Not a bad trade honestly... Just weird to have the jet

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

The trade is great. I ****ing hate Jason Terry though. I literally despise the guy.

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Who is the 3rd star that we can finally try to trade for again this upcoming season or next off season? I mean, what potential impact players are already KNOWN to be available then, or might become available then? (not 2016)

If there is not a clear great answer, maybe we should try to build around our 2 super stars with maybe 2 more "stars" and a great bench, instead of waiting for a 3rd Super Star. I'm all for a 3rd Super Star, but let's get what we can while we can.

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Good solid move, IMO.

Lets see if he can bring anything to the table.

9. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Can we please at least get Terry off the front page of Clutchfans??? Seriously, I want to be sick. If this guy has to be on this team can we at least request that he put a bag over his head or stay far away from the camera?

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I agree Morey will strike big sometime between now and the deadline.
    I feel the Rockets are in the exact same place they were before stealing Harden away. With Harden, Howard and one of the better role players in the league, Ariza, id be fine just adding two more super role player type starters. Bev and TJ would give the Rockets a much stronger bench.

There seem to be plenty of outstanding role player types being thrown around in trade rumors.

Rondo, Bledsoe, Dragic, West, Scola, Millsap, etc

TPE, an insane amount of picks acquired in trades, THE NOLA PICK, Jason Terry's 5.8 mil expiring contract, etc. They really would not have to give away much if anything of value that they have on the current roster.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if it's been said yet -it probably has - but the other thing this consolidation of contracts could mean is that Morey has begun to think more about getting a deal done at the trade deadline. All those N G contracts were kind of use'em or lose'em when the rosters have to be trimmed down.

It could be interpreted many ways, but one of those could be that DM doesn't think his big deal is getting done before the start of the season.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

don't forget they invested a good amount in jennings. rondo wouldn't make sense there unless maybe rondo/green for monroe/jennings. even then i think they want smart to be the starting PG.

detroit does make sense for boston, but not for rondo, IMO. players in rondo's position usually look at last years playoffs and start from the top down.

spurs - not interested
    heat - not interested
    pacers - good fit for both sides
    thunder - not interested
    clippers - not interested
    wizards - not interested
    blazers - not interested
    nets - maybe interested in a dwill/rondo swap?
    dallas - interested
    houston - interested
    warriors, grizzlies, bulls, raptors, hornets - not interested

rondo's list must look like: pacers, houston, dallas, hawks nets. those are the teams he can take over the top. all other teams he could help get to the playoffs, but who cares about that? if he wants to win a championship he chooses from the first 4 on that list. he might add the nets, knicks, and lakers just because of their markets. when you look at what each of those teams can offer, ainge will laugh at the lakers, knicks, and mavs pieces. nets might be intriguing if they offer dwill but then again the nets may prefer dwill to rondo.

the best offers will come from the pacers, rockets, and hawks. from there its up to ainge. all 3 of those teams would greatly benefit from acquiring rondo now rather than at the deadline, which ainge prefers (as you pointed out). all 3 teams' best player to include in the offer would probably be their PG (hill, bev, teague) who all have similar value. all 3 teams would fill in the rest of the offer with picks (the nola pick tops them all) and young players (the rockets have the most/best to choose from).

now or at the deadline, the rockets have the best offer of any team that rondo might consider. hopefully the terry trade (as you mentioned) might be a precursor to such a trade before training camp. this would save our offseason to such a degree that DM might be in the GM of the year running.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That is how I see this. Non-guaranteed contracts > expiring contracts when it comes to filler. And when you're filler is 5.8 million, it's way better to be able to not pay a cent.

There was going to come a time when Morey had to use use'em or lose'em and Morey wasn't going to let it expire. But if there were ANY hope of landing a big deal in the next month, he would be using them in the deal - and he wouldn't make this trade for Terry. I can't think that any dealing party would say, I'll rather pay Terry's 5.8 million dollar salary in addition to my other goodies you're sending me vs a 5.8 million dollar savings and my other goodies (even if you added the additional 2nds).

Getting the word out earlier is a last ditch effort to make something else happen, but really it would be a worse deal than what they could have gotten before Friday so I think all big deals for the Rockets are on hold until the trade-deadline.

Hopefully Terry can add a bonus and actually be able to play. But if not, the trade was still worth it even though 'soon' is not happening.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm not advocating we wait for a "super star". LMA is staying in Portland and I'm unwilling to wait 2 years for Durant (absolutely NO CHANCE OKC trades him under any circumstance)

My best case for us is trading for Goran Dragic and Paul Millsap. Dragic is a star. Millsap is a plus role player, but won't get us to the same level as Dragic would. We don't have enough to get both right now, but the hope would be that we can unload most of our assets on Dragic, and then cross our fingers that our remaining players improve enough to net us Millsap at the trade deadline.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree. Before the Harden trade, no one would have argued that Martin, the TOR 1st, Dallas 1st, and Lamb was worth Harden......but it happened anyway. I feel like people are saying the same things now: "no way TJones, NOP 1st, Capela etc. are worth Dragic".........yet it will happen anyway.

16. bongman

bongman Member

There might be a huge difference with that trade. Martin as predicted, came of the bench as the same position as Harden and if he did not work out, they were banking on Lamb (same position) to being the future SG. Phoenix has twins on that PF position in addition to Len and Plumlee and that makes TJ the odd man out. That is probably where the cynicism is coming from.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

The huge difference is that Dragic will be an unrestricted free agent, whereas Harden still had 1 year left on his rookie year AND was going to sign a 5 year extension.

So 1 year of Dragic vs. 6 years of Harden.

The suns front court is relatively immaterial to the discussion. TJones is better than either of the Morris twins, and it's possible that one of them would come back to Houston in a trade.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

19. bongman

bongman Member

You can't really say it is immaterial because that is your opinion and the possibility of Marcus coming back is just conjecture. I was just pointing out why other might think Suns would not like the trade and I might be completely off with my analogy.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Didn't see this in the last few pages - did anyone post Kevin Pelton's trade grades?