1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Terry traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of non-guaranteed contracts for Jason Terry and two 2nd rounders?

1. YES

483 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

139 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Terry knows what he did to the Rox over the years and he was a big mouth when it came to unsportsmanship like conduct. The guy kicked his own former teammate in the balls (Michael Finley). I don't think he wants to be a Rocket. He's being packaged and sent elsewhere.

2. basketballholic

I guess I don't really believe Terry is actually going to be here. I think there is a bigger deal being set up right now.

3. basketballholic

Your Boston-Rondo trade could be accomplished by sending them Gee, Hopson, Powell, Covington, DMo, and Bev plus the picks. In other words...we could add Covington to the expirings we are sending out for Terry and provide Boston cap relief. Boston has no need or desire to pay Jason Terry $5.8 million. I'm certain they'd prefer to take all the non-guaranteeds and give a look in training camp over paying Terry $5.8 million.

#563 basketballholic, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

true, if we are able to complete a trade for him in the offseason. if boston wants to wait until the deadline, we can't keep all of those expiring contracts past preseason, then terry makes sense as a way of combining all of the NG salaries into one roster spot.

1 person likes this.
  5. chandlerbang21

Rondo had said he never asked for a trade .

6. basketballholic

And true.

However....Rondo is expiring as well. His trade value is going to be much lower at the trade deadline. No way would I give up all those assets for him at the deadline.

And herein lies the dilemma for Ainge. And this is the clog in the NBA trade machine right now....Rondo. Something has to happen there and Ainge knows it. He's either got to get Rondo committed to staying and keep him OR he's got to move him before the season starts BECAUSE if he waits until the deadline he is going to get less for him at the deadline than he is going to get now. And Rondo is already going to go off at around 50-70 cents on the dollar.

Rondo ultimately controls his destination and it's difficult to ascertain where he wants to play. I don't see PJax wanting him in NY. Doesn't fit the triangle. He would probably fit in as a..hole #2 in Lakerland. But don't know if they could win anything and don't know why he'd want to leave Boston for another rebuild. Dumars wanted him but don't know if SVG feels the same way. If SVG does then Rondo to Detroit for a freshly signed Monroe makes a lot of sense.....for Boston. But doesn't really make sense for Detroit to pair Rondo with Drummond who can't shoot free throws and Josh Smith who is a poor jump shooter and poor free throw shooter. I don't think SVG is that dumb.

Rondo is a big question mark right now.

1 person likes this.
  7. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Might be a dumb question. But what happened to the jlin trade exception?

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You do know it's against the rules for a player to publicly acknowledge asking for a trade? (technically you're not allowed to ask, but the nba needs you to be dumb enough to admit to it for it to stick)

9. Aleron

Nothing, it's still there

10. Aleron

I'm not sure he'll lose value if he waits til December, or at least comes to a tentative agreement to be enacted when players become available. We might not hear about it, but it would make sense. Much past there though and the issues begin.

11. Remlap

Remlap Member

THE JET HAS LANDED..........

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Everyone complained that we needed someone experienced off the bench right? Well here you go, classic Morey move that nets us a possible serviceable player while getting draft picks as well for unguaranteed contracts. Hopefully Terry can still shoot, because we definitely need that off the bench.

Terry is not a dirty player, unlike Fisher. I never respected Fisher as a player or a person. He was a smaller "Bruce Bowen" to me. Terry at the worst can at least help mentor Nick Johnson into becoming a great 6th man off the bench.

13. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

This point exactly. I've watched every Rockets game since 2004 and during the 2005 to 2011 seasons, Terry was one of the guys that scared me the most whenever we played the Mavericks. I hated the guy for all the shots he hit against us but at the same time there was some respect involved since it was him hitting a big shot. Not much but it was there.

Everyone is trying to equivalize it to Fisher which doesn't make sense. Fisher is the epitome of dirty and ring chasing. Takes leave with the Jazz to sign with the favorite Lakers then when the Lakers crashed and he was released by us, ran off to OKC. I remember when we traded for Fisher, everyone was going against it and hoped he would get cut.

Terry is okay in my books. It's obvious we did this trade for his expiring and the 2 2nd round picks but if he has to stay until the trade deadline, that would be okay too. The guy can still shoot and prove leadership to guys like Johnson, Canaan, and even Harden.

14. hehlol

hehlol Member

kenny won the shoot out, so he can be the jet jr

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Well said. I have this feeling Nick Johnson is going to surprise a lot of people this upcoming season. He's mature for his age and he's not a liability on the defensive end while being the best athlete on the team. If he can hit the 3 ball watch out.

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

I think he could possibly raise his value after a few months of the season if he proves he's healthy. Otherwise you're right.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wasn't he suspended once for punching a player in the balls? I think it was Finley. Come on now.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If Rondo comes out and proves he's healthy you can bet for sure the price will go up. But at the same time if the Pelicans come out and lay an egg at beginning of season you can bet that their first round pick will be very valuable to the rockets.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

20. damunkster

damunkster Member

I like the draft picks and overall trade but I will never like Jason Terry