1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Stark Rips Uncle Drayton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Major

Major Member

What 5 impact players of our caliber did those teams bring in over the past 5 years?

And no, they didn't help us win the WS. But each of those guys made their teams substantially better and put the team in a position to win a World Series. The owner/GM can't make the team perform. And monetary issues weren't to blame in not keeping Clemens, Johnson, or Alou. It's unclear what role it played with Beltran. I think it had an impact with Pettitte, others would suggest otherwise. Regardless, though, are you saying unless you keep the players forever, it's not a move to help win a WS?

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Championships:

Les Alexander 2
    Drayton McLane 0

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Braves - Hudson, Renteria, Texeria, Sheff
    Orioles - Tejada, Palmiero, (all i can come up wth)
    Dodgers - Furcal, Penny, Lowe, Wolf, Nomar, Pierre, Kent
    Mets - Beltran, Pedro, Wags, Alou, Green, Delgado
    Cards- Rolen, Eck, Molina, Izzy, Carpenter, Edmonds
    Cubs - Soriano, Alou, Derosa, Marquis, Lilly
    Blue Jays - Burnett, Ryan, Clemens, Canseco(i think ), Olreud,
    Tigers - Maglio, Sheff, Pudge, Rogers, Polanco

Point is that everyone brings in "impact" guys....and we have had our share....but dont make it out like we are bringing in so many more than anyone else

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Add in the Yankees and Redsox, that's 1/3 of MLB.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Major was answering Nero's question about moves Drayton has made to try to help this team win a world series. That has nothing to do with other owners doing the same thing.

while we are at it, we could throw in Boston and the NYY

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Outside of the Yankees and maybe Red Sox, can you name any other team that brought in that many impact players over that period?

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Jerry Jones was considered a genius owner when he had Jimmy Johnson running the ship.

After Jimmy left, is Jerry still a genius owner?

8. NJRocket

whats ur point? he asked me to list anyone else who brought in imapct players.....and i would imagine if i spent some time, i could come up with a handful of other team that do it as well....

Giants - Schmidt, Bonds, Durham, JT Snow, Alou, Hernandez, Benitez
    Angels - Vlad, Colon, Cabrera, (there are definitely ohers there that i cant think of)
    Pads - Maddux, Barrett, Caminiti, Kevin Brown, Leyritz
    D BAcks - RJ, Schilling, Luis Gonzo, Byrnes, Womack,

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uncle Drayton, my least fav of the Houston franchise owners, 'inherited' a squad that was light years away from The Promised Land. He has helped 'influence' local interest to making baseball in general and the 'stros in particular relevent.

Leslie Alexander 'inherited' a squad on the doorstep to greatness. They crossed the threshhold and remain the only major Houston team in a league still in operation to have one, let alone TWO, championships. Alex has certainly endeavored to reclimb the mountain subsequently but has been cursed with good intentions gone bad (Barkley, Pip, Eggie, JVG). At least he efforts. (And if Houston were deemed to be 'East' then the Rox might have had several ops in the 2000s to play for another title).

I truly do not believe that Unka Dray is willing to pay the piper for a championship. I truly believe his true goal is making a competitive run.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

That is my point. 1/3 (or more) of MLB has made substantial moves to improve the team and to say we've done more than other teams is ridiculous.

As far as the playoff appearances, 1/3 of MLB have won a World Series during Drayton's tenure.

Making the playoffs has also been a lot easier with the inception of the Wild Card.

All points the Drayton apologists never recognize.

11. NJRocket

Look...i dont HATE Drayton...i know he has to get some of the credit for spending money to some degree and making us very competitive over the past 10 yrs. As a fan...i cant be upset with that.

However, i CAN be upset if every baseball guy in the league is describing the Astros problem and each one, without hesitation, says Drayton is the problem. I may not know whats going on inside....and you may not know either....but the anonymous team execs throughout the league know...and this is what they are saying.

12. NJRocket

ok...misunderstood what u were getting at...my bad

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I don't consider myself a Drayton apologist. I think he has done a pretty good job as our owner, but he is also partially responsible for the current situation (as in we are not good and it is mostly his fault...IF he has meddled the way it seems)

Also, though, (and I am NOT apologizing for Drayton...because he has enough dough to lose money on this team) teams like the Cubs (WGN), the Yankees (YES), the Braves (TBS), the Red Sox and the Dodgers have a lot more revenue to spend with. As far as the other teams, I give props to their owners.

14. msn

msn Member

Aaaaaah; I was thinking Astros; you clearly said Houston.

Les Alexander I'll give you, absolutely.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not going to bash drayton as cheap. drayton is a markerter as much as he tries to win. sometimes that works out well, sometimes it doesn't. He's definitely the best astros owner, but he doesn't have high standards to meet to earn that title.

the only thing that bothers me about drayton defenders is the argument of how well the astros have played these last ten years. that's as much on bagwell and biggio and hunsicker and even purpura finding pitching talent as it is on drayton.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm fine with that. but you can't then blame it on him when they lose, as happens here frequently.

of course, i would suggest he had SOMETHING to do with the fact bagwell and biggio were able to play out their careers here.

17. msn

msn Member

Exactly--that coin has two sides.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What do you give Alexander, absolutely?

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Who's to blame for not signing their 3rd and 4th round picks this year? That was strange.

Who was to blame for driving away Gerry Hunsicker - the architect of the playoff teams and king of the mini-deals?

Is Drayton going to hire a couple of Yes Men and then blame them when it doesnt work?

Jayson Stark is very well respected and was a columnist for Baseball America since I was a teenager (over twenty years ago). I still remember his goofy moustache.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love Jayson Stark. I'm not saying he's entirely wrong here. I was responding to what I see here quite frequently: that Drayton is bashed for all the franchise's shortcomings but it successes are because of someone other than him.

Hunsicker helped drive away Hunsicker. He was here for quite some time, by the way. Two very strong personalities that decided they couldn't co-exist.

I don't know who is to blame for the draft picks this season.