1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Smith Flagrant on Griffin+Hornets Clips Confrontations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yao11, Mar 22, 2012.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree that it wasn't malicious and that it was a flagrant 1. A hard playoff foul. I don't agree that you think players should stop fast breaks by jumping in front of players without being set. That's dangerous. If you can't get there on time then oh yell, they get the dunk. It happens.

You can easily stop the fast break dunk and take the clear path foul by grabbing his arm and wrapping him up. Players do that all the time but they don't give shoulder shoves.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do you not understand the difference between when a player is on the ground and when a player is up in the air? The latter is a LOT more dangerous. If you want to injure a guy, hit, pull, or undercut him while he's in the air. If you just want to give some pain, slam him when he is on his feet.

Smith hit Griffin's shoulder. That kind of collision happens all the time in soccer and it rarely results in injury. BTW, Griffin rammed his shoulder into Scola's ribs the other night. That was more dangerous (although not much) while it looked less vicious.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It was a foul, but back then men acted like men and came out swinging instead of laying on the ground acting like a vagina.

4. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

This only looks bad imo bc blake griffin went into automatic flop mode soon as the contact came...**** was a flagrant 1 AT BEST. Don't drink the flop koolaid

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

In soccer, that play would be legal.

Blake is a little girl with pig tails. Was it a foul? Definitely. Its just Blake decided to make the most of it. Flop city lives.

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

he was just tackling to prevent first down

7. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Blake did what he was supposed to, which is go strong to the hole. The defender being out of position for a charge or to defend makes it even more reasonable he went to the basket in a straight line. Smith cutting him off like that was basically like blindsiding someone or running a stop sign into traffic.

Blake may flop (like everyone else in the nba these days) but he got hit damn hard this play and the reason he only appeared to embellish because he rolled with the shot so as to limit the damage from the fall.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Blake Griffin is a p***y. He needs to grow a sack and stop acting like a teenage little girl playing ball with men.

How you gonna act all hard when you dunk on someone and then act like you got decked when in reality he was nudged by a guy that weighs less than him.

That's all I have to say about that.

9. mario713

mario713 Rookie

get er done MORRAY

10. conquistador#11

These players today are so soft. If you play them tough and scrappy they get offended. Then, when you deliver a message that you will not tolerate their douchiness..they cannot handle a hard foul. If you're going to dish out douchebaggery you better be able to take it.

Nba divas, a little humility to the beautiful game that naismith invented won't kill ya. now go get your man servants to cut up your steaks.

I'm not even saying that the nba is not the place to showboat. Showboating has been around since, well, forever. The blimp would dunk over people point at the dunkee and then point back at himself like ted dibiase, the million dollar man. But after he got decked a couple of times for his antics, he toned it down for his standards. The blimp went on to having many many kids and eventually ate himself out of the league.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Exactly. If this was the 80s and 90s, that would have been a hard foul, and Griffin would have gotten his free throws. Of course, if this was the 80s or early 90s, Griffin wouldn't have laid there like he got shot, either. He would have popped up, and either walked to the free throw line, or gotten in Smith's face.

However, I agree with the assessment that a Flagrant was warranted....even and in-game ejection. A suspension would be over the line, but Stern is a star-loving ****ing prick, so I wouldn't be surprised if Smith gets multiple games. If this was Lowry that got hit, it would've barely qualified as a foul.

12. Awesome

Awesome Member

..but the problem is the guy walks out trying to pump up the crowd which is just despicable behavior and shows us what his mindframe was the entire time

13. VBG

VBG Member

Big difference when you hit a guy on the ground versus a guy in the air. You really can't compare those two. Once a player is in the air a lot more can go wrong (see Andrew Bogut breaking his arm)

Anyway, this was not a basketball play by Smith. A clear ejection and 1 game suspension IMO.

14. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Granted, I do not watch soccer, but I do not get all the soccer comparisons. This kind of play happens in football and hockey all the time as well. It still doesn't mean anything in relevance to the NBA, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  15. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The foul on Dragic looked worse.

16. HombreDeHierro

Every team needs to have one scrub to play mercenary against Blake griffin

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

I'm seriously smh at all the insane bias on this forum. Fisher is the most hated man for what he did, then the Goran foul was worse than the foul on Blake, and now the guy is celebrated for trying to take out Blake Griffin. WTF? lol

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Ironic... you're complaining about bias. lol.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Remember when Bob Horry did that to Steve Nash and the whole Suns team got suspended?

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Are you kidding? I won't speak for anyone else, and I'm not "blaming Griffin," but shoulder chucking used to be an every-game play in the 80's. Cracking people in the face (a la D Fish to Scola) was never an every game play. That's just not a good comparison at all.

Now, as for Griffin's reaction to this little bump, give me a break. It's not his fault that the contact happened, but man up. He looked like a damned soccer player writhing around and then limping around (because his shoulder is bruised, what?) If he wants real respect, then he bounces up after that bump and gets in Smith's face immediately.

1 person likes this.