1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Smith Flagrant on Griffin+Hornets Clips Confrontations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yao11, Mar 22, 2012.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

lol... Stephen A Smith said Jason Smith should get suspended 10 games because of how he walked off the court.

I think I've lost all respect for Stephen A. Never really took the guy seriously any way but this is just stupidity.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

So Jason Smith wasn't looking to Blake out? He was just bumped? Rightttttttt

Man some of yall smh

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol @ all you guys saying Smith didn't intentionally foul Blake while not even trying to go for the basketball:

[​IMG]

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Nate atleast went for the ball first he just went fr it hard and added someting extra. Can't say the sam for Smith

Serious question. If a Rocket player got fouled how Blake was fouled what would your reacton be?

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That already happened. The Kevin Love cheap shot was far worse. We all saw the reaction with that.

6. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Unless it was Lowry or Scola they wouldnt have flopped and it wouldnt have looked that bad.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not to me. I don't hate Nate but if what Smith did was a flagrant 2 then so was Nates intentional foul. Nates foul was clearly worse and more dangerous. But it was a heat of the moment thing.

I can't stand Fisher. I was really happy he never put on a Rockets uniform.

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Players are allowed to foul. You are just not supposed to foul in ways that are likely to lead to injuries. This is a shoulder bump on a player that is not airborne. He did not tangle his legs. He did not push him from behind. He did not throw him in any way. There was plenty of space for Griffin to roll, which he did. Very safe play.

Griffin seems to think that every time he is in the open court, the other team should give up the clear path to the basket or slap his wrist. But that would just be bad defense.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wonder how much of this has to do with age. I can't imagine anyone that watched 80's ball think that this was more than just an over zealous bump.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Players are not allowed to foul with no intention of going for the basketball. That's why the Refs review fouls and upgrade them to FLAGRANT ones if they don't make a play for the ball. They give flagrant fouls to avoid non basketball plays and that was a non basketball play.

11. rockbox

It was definitely a flagrant, but I don't think it was a flagrant 2. He didn't tackle him. He was just running in his way.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Meh, not good enough of a foul in my books. He needs to break something of Griffin's first. How I wish.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Nates foul was worse and intentional period. Did he really go for the ball? It was a half hearted attempt at best. His very clear intention was to throw Dragic down and he did so with a very clear and visible follow through motion.

http://www.nba.com/features/misunderstoodrules_051128.html

And per the rules a flagrant 2 involves a swinging motion with a follow through which is a perfect description of the Nate foul. A flagrant 1 includes hard contact or a follow through motion after a foul but not both. Per the NBA's own website the Nate foul was more of a flagrant 2 than the Smith foul.

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG] awwwww poor Blake.

I watched basketball in the 80's so... this is hilarious. Weakest flagrant foul in the history of basketball. Blake needs his vagina checked for how long he stayed grounded.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Awesome. I loved Blake Griffin in college, but he's become a punk. Close proximity to Chris Paul and jumping over the hood of a Kia will do that to you.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That wasn't even bad. Supple gave me a harder foul than that in jowers during his lunch hoop sessions,lol.

You know, griffin has no game. That's not to say he can't get one,but he's a long way from being a reliable offensive player. He's like amare before the knee injury.

17. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I agree about not going for the ball, so a flagrant makes sense, but it was not a malicious play and was not dangerous.

I would disagree about it being a "non-basketball" play. If you look at the way they are running, Griffin is not ahead of Smith. Smith is trying to get to the defensive spot before Griffin, but can't quite make it there in time so he ends up bumping him. You can see that he lifts his arms so as not to get tangled and prevent injuries. It's certainly not a case of him saying "my arms are up so I didn't foul."

Griffin play is actually very dangerous here because he chooses to go straight to the basket as if the defender is not there. Because of that, there is no way to avoid a collision unless Smith chooses to stop defending. I don't think Smith should be obligated to run away just because Griffin wants a highlight reel dunk.

18. rockbox

Amare was better because could pretty much take anyone off the dribble when he was a rookie. He didn't need anyone to assist him.

19. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X7r6vXeOfyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No ejections during this foul correct? Was it even called a foul? Good ole days

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? I also played with Supple, Leeb I will bet we know each other in person.

DD