1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Lane was Terrible yesterday.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tested911, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

settle the kettle; lane had a bad day, covered up by everyone else having good ones. i'm not advocating demoting him. it's just concerning because he is going to be asked to come up big in big situations a lot. berkman, they know, can kill; now they have a taste for ensberg - his season wasn't a fluke. guess who's next up on the "prove it" game?

btw, i was also concerned, slightly, by wheeler, springer and gallo's performances. hopefully, gallo was in because of the big lead. he doesn't need to be anywhere near a tight situation. further, hopefully wheeler was working out nerves.

but overall, it's hard to imagine a better first game. biggio was great; bagwell's hit filled me with pride; i'm not as nervous about our offense and this team seems to have a cocky swagger to it that i like.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You said it all, he had a bad GAME... so people need to stop "worrying" about one game. Thank god all the b****ers aren't coaches... "I know we won by 5 yesterday, but you guys really sucked it up out there!"

3. ruddy

ruddy Member

Dudes, dont worry about SvpernaUt, he's always defending Lane. Kind of blowout games like yesterday are the game where Lane show up, so it's weird he had a bad game yesterday. :) ;)

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Nope he played in last year's playoffs and got a pinch hit home run against the cards one game I think.

He just had a bad day as did a lot of other people in the lineup. He'll do better and you'll be praising him then.

5. ruddy

ruddy Member

God hear you. :)

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure, and what was wrong with Andy Pettite I mean he gave up 2 whole home runs.

This team sucks !!!

:rolleyes:

7. Svpernaut

yup, i've been defending the entire team all year too ;-)

8. Hey Now!

uhm... which line-up are you talking about? they hit .355, drew 9 walks, sacrificed 4 men over and scored 10 runs. i wouldn't say "a lot" of other people had a bad day; one guy had a bad day - lane.

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

This just in........

Lane "is" terrible.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

HEY, I WAS AT SOCCER PRACTICE!!! :cool:

..AND I DIDN'T GET MUCH HELP FROM YOU, I MIGHT ADD!!!! :D

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, Lane and his 26 homeruns sucks!

12. Svpernaut

Willy T didn't get a hit yesterday and I don't see people saying he is terrible... and Lane and Willy each got a walk. All of our starters got on base yesterday, so how in the hell can you complain?

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because they're whiners. :)

14. Hey Now!

taveras scored a run and sacrificed biggio over in the 1st; he contributed. lane didn't. besides, are you really winning any points comparing ;ane's production to taveras'? if they hit 5, 6 in the order, fine; they don't. taveras is a tablesetter; lane is supposed to clear it.

and for the record, i'm not complaining. i came into this worried about lane and remain worried; that's all. he looked overwhelmed and that's concerning because if you read justice's column (not that we needed to, but...), ATL is NOT going to pitch to berkman. it is going to fall into ensberg and lane's laps to drive in big, clutch runs. ensberg is off to a good start...

i don't see how pointing this out is a problem.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ESPN: Players of the day. Mark Mulder and JASON LANE! :cool:

Peter Gammon sees Jason Lane having a big game because of all the pitching around Berkman, and likely to be Ensberg.

16. Svpernaut

Please see 10.02.2005 inning 6; don't worry... not everyone is going to deliver everygame.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just not a very good one...

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That .323 OBP is solid. :)

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Compared to Everett it's outstanding!

20. Hey Now!

yeah, well fortunately, the playoffs last 38 games... oh wait, no they don't. in october, it's not about delivering every game, it's about delivering every at bat. he had chances to blow the game open in his first two at bats and didn't.

what's your point?

svpernaut brought up taveras' performance yesterday as a way to try and excuse lane's performance, not me. frankly, taveras played well. regardless, my only point is that it's not an apt standard for lane. we don't expect willie to drive balls to the gap, plate runners and do all the things we're going to need lane to do; nor will i rip lane if he doesn't get on, steal a base and score from second on a bloop to right field.