1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Kidd is the best player in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketFan85, Dec 21, 2002.

1. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Jason Kidd to me is the best player in the NBA. I think he is more important to his team than anyone in the league. Even more important than Shaq is to the Fakers. The Nets made one heck of a trade when they traded Stephon Marbury for Jason Kidd. Marbury is good, but he is not anywhere near as good a Kidd. Last year Kidd should have been the MVP, but this year he has even raised his game to and other leval. I wonder if he is going to re-sign with the Nets, I hope he does I realy like to watch that team play.

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

His jumper is on this year. I think its about 90% he resigns with the Nets. I think he's sincere when he talks about staying.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He's not in the top 5 of best players in the league.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I have one requirement for the "best player in the NBA", and it's that they shoot better than 40.6% from the field for their career. By that, Kidd is disqualified. Granted, he's doing it this year, but I'd like to see him do it for more than 25 games before we crown him the best.

As far as saying he should've won the MVP, keep dreaming.

Look at his supporting cast last year:
    Kenyon Martin
    Keith Van Horn
    Kerry Kittles
    Richard Jefferson

Duncan's supporting cast last year:
    David Robinson
    Steve Smith
    Tony Parker
    Malik Rose

IMO, Duncan's supporting cast is worse, and at best they're equal. Duncan led his team to a 58 win season in a very difficult Western Conference. Kidd led his team to a 52 win season in a well below average Eastern Conference. Who's the MVP?

5. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Whoah! How can you say that Kidd is the best without mentioning AI or TMac?!?!?!!?

I know Kidd is a very good player and is, I think, the active leader in triple-doubles. He is an unselfish player and a quick go to guy.

But Iverson is unbelievable. He's got to be the shortest guy on the Sixers, but no doubt the best. He's an amazing player. He can shoot from anywhere and do just about anything.

McGrady is also extremely talented. He is definitely better than Kobe (where's the doubt anyway). Although he hasn't won championships, he can lead his team every night. He's a very powerful player who is still improving.

Both TMac and AI score in the mid to upper 30s almost every night. It seems that McGrady has 40-point games all the time.

But I don't think you can compare two specific players unless they guard one-another.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You guys b**** about Steve all the time, but AI's shooting percentage is lower than Steve's.

7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

When you say "you guys", you aren't referring to me, are you?

I have never b****ed about Steve, he's my favorite player!

but regardless of shooting percentages, because of experience, AI is still better. Although they haven't had many head to head matchups guarding each other, it's really tough to tell who is better.

Some can say that Baron Davis is better than Stevie because he's better when they play one-on-one in games.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

well, i'm not going to get into who the best player in the league is. i've tried to make a top five before and i found it virtually impossible. at best, i can do a top 5 for guards, a top 5 for forwards and a top 3 for centers (because after three they probably all pretty much suck) but what I will say is that Shaq has been the most dominant player in the league for the last three years. I really feel like over the last three years, you could put Shaq on any team in the league and they're instantly a finals contender because most every team in the league has at least one star. Now granted, there are chemistry issues, there is learning to play together blah blah blah, but just for fun, insert Shaq in random rosters and see if that team doesn't suddenly scare the **** out of you.

actually, just for fun, I'm going to do it here:

Milwaukee Bucks- Shaq, Ray Allen, Sam Cassell? enough ball? maybe not but try to tell me you want to play them in a best of seven?

Seattle Supersonics- Shaq and Gary Payton? Not to mention guys like Rashard Lewis and Brent Barry. Again, I don't want to see my team play these guys in a best of 7.

Los Angeles Clippers- Shaq, Elton Brand, Lamar Odom (the week he isn't hurt), Andre Miller and all the talented young guys they got? I don't like it at all.

Orlando Magic- I'm pretty sure it would be the same story as in Los Angeles, just substitute TMac for Kobe. oh but no, Grant Hill too (if he stays healthy). Ouch.

Toronto Raptors- Same story as in Los Angeles but substitute Vince Carter for Kobe.

Philadelphia 76ers- Substitute AI for Kobe.

Phoenix Suns- Shaq, Shawn Marion, Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, Amare Stoudamire- not enough ball maybe, but if they do play together, good god.

Houston Rockets- Shaq would be the best back up center ever!

:) Yao, Steve and Cuttino! Who would miss Kobe?

Sacramento Kings- They would have went to the Finals if Shaq wasn't stopping them.

Dallas Mavericks- Oh my lord.

hell, let's put him on the Cleveland Cavaliers- Shaq, Ricky Davis, Dajuan Wagner, Darius Miles- it doesn't sound too bad at all. Nevermind they have no back ups.

Memphis Grizzlies? Shaq, Gasol, Gooden and four or five good young players (with no playoff experience but who cares?)

New Jersey Nets: I don't even want to think about Shaq and Kidd on the same team.

San Antonio Spurs: I don't want to think about Shaq and Tim Duncan being on the same team either.

etc etc etc. basically, not even the cavs, the warriors or the grizzlies sound too bad if you put Shaq on the roster and in fact, the only team I can think of that would still suck is the Nuggets. That's about it. So maybe Kidd is the best, maybe he isn't, but for the last three years, there is nobody I'd rather have on my team than Shaq AND I HATE THE GUY!