1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Kidd considering retirement

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Mar 22, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/03/jason-kidd-reportedly-considering-retirement/

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Will he retire from wife beating and alcoholism?

3. Classic

Classic Member

19 seasons. Dayum. Will he limp like McHale in a few years?

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

In all seriousness, where does he rank in all-time point guards?

5. bc2k

bc2k Member

Should be one of the best ever, he's the sole reason the freaking New Jersey Nets made it to the NBA Finals 2 years in a row.

6. mig0s

mig0s Member

Right after Lin.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm not surprised, the rest of his team is also considering retirement.

1 person likes this.
  8. SexyButIgnorant

Surely a top 10 point guard.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

As a point guard.

Magic
    Isiah
    Nash
    Stockton

I think are clearly above him. Same with Oscar and West if you call them PGs. So I'd say around the level of Gary Payton.

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

A couple of notches below John Stockton,
    along with Gary Payton.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Jason Kidd retired 5 years ago.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Actually, on second thought, I think I'm going to place Kidd below Payton and Frazier and possibly Cousy as well, and I'll go ahead and say West is a point guard but Robertson wasn't.

So,

Magic
    West
    Nash
    Stockton
    Payton
    Frazier
    Kidd

So, 7th best PG at best case scenario, possibly 8th, and Paul will almost certainly pass Kidd before his career is over.

At the end of the day, I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Kidd. He gets way too much credit for creating two so-called Finals teams which were only Finals team because they were in the East.

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

brett favre of the nba? :confused:

14. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Interesting. I don't have Nash in my top 8, who I felt was a late-Uber bloomer, with his numbers inflated playing for D'Antoni. Personally, I put Nash just above Mark Price.

Magic
    Cousy
    Zeke
    The Big O
    Stockton

Then the list gets murky.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

After Dallas championship, he said he wouldnt mind being a backup a couple years and doing a mentoring role. That was with Dallas not in NY. But its gotta be a LITTLE blow to the ego going to the bench. And it just takes a lot out of you playing almost 30 minutes/gm at 40 years old.

He reinvented himself as a steady 3 point maker hitting the smart open shots. But even that part of his game is regressing back. Yeah I'd say he just doesnt have much left and at some point you just finally 'feel it' gone and know its time to move on

16. Anxiety Trooper

Kidd is ahead of Nash. Kidd did so much so early and continued to produce well into the late years of his career.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

agree, no nash hate. but kidd had an immediate impact, nash is obviously a better scorer, kidd a better defender. both of them are on same level as playmakers or running a team

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They were laughingstock lottery teams before that.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Define this. What did Kidd actually do? Because Kidd never created the offensive teams that Nash did, he was a massively inferior offensive player to Nash, and while yes, he was a better defender, that's really not important for a point guard. No point guard aside from Magic has created the offensive teams that Nash did. And he did this repeatedly, with terrible coaches ( even ignoring D'Antoni's junk, let's not forget that Nash played under another idiot in Nelson in Dallas, who demanded that Michael Finley handle the ball as much as Nash and Dirk), limited supporting casts ( the 2011 Phoenix Suns with Gortat and Dudley were a top 5 offensive team, the 05-06 Suns were the 2nd best offensive team in the league without Amare and Joe Johnson).

The only thing Kidd really has is that he got to feast on crappy Eastern teams, only to suck and have his teams get blown out when they played the West.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

That is so ridiculously wrong. Magic ( and if you want to call him a point guard, Oscar) are the only ones who were better than Nash at running a team. The Phoenix Suns were that incredible offensively ( and I define this by Offensive Rating, not points, which factors in pace, so don't play the "it was only because of D'Antoni" card).