1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Collins heard negativity

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yo, Mar 21, 2014.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

I commend Collins for being professional and not saying the culprit's name and what he said. But anyone wanna guess? Nets played the Kings, so mine is Boogie Cousins.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...ays-another-player-made-negative-comments-him

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Brooklyn Nets center Jason Collins revealed Thursday that he has heard negative comments from another player during a game.

Collins, the first openly gay player on an active NBA roster, would not reveal the identity of the player or the team he plays for. He told ESPNNewYork.com that he did not react to the comments while on the court.

"There's no need to even engage in a conversation with him at that point," Collins said. "In the flow of the game, you have emotions going. It goes back to controlling what I can control -- having self control and having the discipline to recognize it for what it is and keep the focus on the game.

"We're all human. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You hope that if someone has a negative opinion, that they would keep it to themselves. But at the same time, I understand that in the NBA, we're a bunch of individuals and this is America and everyone's entitled to their opinion."

Collins acknowledged earlier Thursday to the New York Daily News that the incident occurred.

"One player, one knucklehead from another team," Collins told the Daily News. "He's a knucklehead. So I just let it go. Again, that goes back to controlling what you can control. That's how I conduct myself -- just being professional."

Collins reiterated that overall, the reception toward him has been overwhelmingly positive.

"This was the only incident," Collins told ESPNNewYork.com. "I don't know how many players and coaches that I've faced. It's been over 100, I would say. ... But again, the focus is on the games and our team and our next opponent."

The Nets signed Collins to a 10-day contract on Feb. 23. Later that day, he became the first openly gay athlete to play in one of North America's four major professional sports when he debuted against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Collins signed a second 10-day deal after his first one expired, and on March 15 was signed for the remainder of the season.

Collins has appeared in 10 games with the Nets, averaging 8.4 minutes. Since signing with the Nets, Collins' No. 98 jersey has been a top seller on NBAStore.com.

2. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Pretty sure it was Boogie.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

My money is on Aaron Gray, nobody looks more like a thug than this guy.

[​IMG]

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Oh no!! Negative comments!!!

5. FearTheBeardJH

so nobody can talk trash to him just because he is gay? That's like the only reason he is on NBA roster.

6. yo

yo Contributing Member

Pretty sure he means homophobic comments.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What a great news story. Negative comments. Won't somebody please think of the children.

8. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

If someone says "you suck" to Jason Collins, does he receive that message differently than a straight player does? Where do we draw the line between trash talk and homophobic "negativity"?

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm fairly certain that you'll know you're receiving homophobic comments if they were directed at you.

Besides, how crappy is a professional basketball player's trash talk, if the best they can come up with, is "you suck?"

10. Steve_Francis_rules

I would guess that there are a number of players that use anti-gay terms all the time on the court as part of their regular trash talking.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am pretty sure it was Rudy Gay

12. ling ling

ling ling Member

I'm sure it's either Luther Head or JJ Reddick.

13. Classic

Classic Member

poor guy, how did the other player know tho?

14. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

he makes 7 figures as a scrub.. no sympathy here.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Did he narrow it down to the kings or we're just guessing here?

16. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Commend him? For throwing every player he played against into speculation to hear questions from reporters about his BS? Either name the player or STFU.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

My money is on "NO-HOMO GUY" from the Pacers...:eek:

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Mystery player: "Hey Jason nice to see you back on your feet"
    Jason Collins: "Thanks man. How's it been going"
    Mystery player: "Not too well. My wife found out about my chick on the side and now she wants half of everything. Found out I got Herpes from the side chick. My endorsement deal with Nike is about to run out. I haven't had anything good to eat in days."
    Jasons Collins: "That sucks man"
    Mystery player: "Yea..well...that's what he said"

BOOM Media Circus ensues

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm kind of with you there. That's like working for a company and making a complaint to HR where you say "I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but SOMEONE FROM I.T. sexually harrassed me!" Well, now you've gotten everyone in trouble instead of one guy.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Talking smack is a part of sports. If Collins can't handle that, he needs to look for a new profession.