1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Castro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, Aug 14, 2013.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

I'll admit, I was pretty disappointed when we drafted him seeing as how Berkman was getting older and Justin Smoak was still on the board. Smoak has struggled up until this year and is finally starting to show some promise at the big league level, but I must say, I'm very pleasantly surprised with how much production Castro is having. Originally, I thought he'd be a .265/10hr/65rbi guy but he's showing he's got alot more power than anyone had anticipated.

His defense used to be his calling card, but I think his knee injury has kept him from being the dominating catch and throw guy he used to be and hopefully he can get back to 100% next year. With that said, I hope he can keep it up and be our catcher for the next 10 years.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually he was touted as "Mauer with power". So i expected the power. Kind of disappointed in the avg, though.

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Castro was the right decision for this club. He is continuing to develop.

Smoak will also be a good player. He was rushed to the big leagues way too soon. Because of that, he struggled. Yes, it looks like he is figuring it out. Will Smoak be an all star? Time will tell. I believe that his overall numbers will improve if he gives up switch hitting. His splits are night and day.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ed Wade FTW!

(Will be even more telling if Cosart, Springer, Folty, Obie, Santana and DDjr all have big time success... All Wade guys).

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Eh, the drafted guys were more Bobby Heck, at least that's what I got from everything that was written about the Wade/Heck duo. But Wade definitely did a nice job on the Pence trade.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wade still got them signed. He also dictated their development plan. If GM's get the blame when the minor league systems suck, they should also get credit when players drafted on their watch lead the system back to respectability.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I agree. Unfortunately for Wade, he wasn't here long enough to see it through. Which was the best for all sides.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. Will Luhnow be in the same predicament in 2021? (The year Springer could be a free agent... A year later than what it would have been had they promoted him this year).

9. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Not talking specifically about Springer, but I hope Luhnow always makes decisions that are in the best interest of the club long term and not for his own short term private interests.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

By who?

Mauer with Power was Matt Wieters.

11. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

Yep. I don't recall any scouting reports projecting much power from Castro. He's been the Astros' best player by far this season.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I didn't say he was.

If anything, he's looking too far out for the future, instead of trying to field the best possible team now.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Luhnow signed these veteran players so that they could be moved for no prospects. We haven't given up any players, besides Bud Norris, who should be members of a winning team. They did give up Jed Lowrie before the season, but he is older with an injury-ridden past. They aren't going to make the playoffs for 2 years at least.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Castro has the 6th best OPS for all catchers in MLB this year. Not too shabby