1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Sullinger: How did we leave this behind?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is in the rotation for the Celtics and performing capably. 16 rebounds tonight. HOU passed on him 3 times and 2 of the picks none of them are contributing (Lamb was traded, but also hanging out in DLeague with Jones, White is, of course, MIA). Folks (me included) got worried about his ability to deal with NBA height/length, but he seems to be adjusting better than most rookies.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Good question. At first I wondered why we got Jones instead of him, but now I want him instead of White. I think 29 teams feel this way after every draft.

I still think Jones will perform well in the NBA.

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I think he has a medical red flag..bulging disk or something

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right now I'd take any other player in the draft instead of White because he's not even a basketball player.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

We left him behind because he had injury concerns, and White seemed superior at everything- attitude (everyone was screaming give him a chance he's mentally awesome), talent and health.

He had a serious problem with bulging discs or whatever, and his physical measurements weren't that good either. He's looking good now, but the only way to judge someone like him with health risks is 2-3 years down the road, when the grind of the NBA starts wearing on his health. At the time, White over Sully was a no brainer, I doubt the Celts would have taken him if they had our pick.

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

bulging dicks is a serious medical issue and can make teammates very uncomfortable..

2 people like this.
  7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I wouldn't call it a no brainer. Sullinger was a beast in college. If not for that bulging disk he would have been a top 10 pick. We took a chance on a player with mental health problems instead of physical health problems and we are losing out so far. Still early though.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly would rather have Jones based on what I have seen. Sullinger also does not fit our style of play. I will say this, Sullinger has some of the best hands in the post that I have ever seen.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

everyone said the same thing when dejuan blair blew up for a while. Dude is in his 4th year and can't get more than 15 mpg even when Duncan is old as balls and has to rest a lot. His per36 stats have fallen off since his rookie/soph years.

Maybe those injuries do hinder development and/or ever playing a lot. But maybe these types of guys are worth a look at least for solid, though limited action for a few years?

1 person likes this.
  10. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

we dont play rookies....so he would not even be playing this year,,

jones is better

11. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Long term. He might not be playing past his 4th or 5th year in the league. At the rate we're developing rookies, doesn't seem like a great pick for us.

12. arjun

arjun Member

LOL

have you heard the saying "hindsight is 20/20"????

2 people like this.
  13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This.

14. ptR91

ptR91 Member

i'd compare him to dejuan blair. has body injuries, but still good

15. lionaire

lionaire Member

He went from potentially being a Top 5 pick to falling out of the lottery because of his injury which doesn't take away from his talent so no one should really be surprised by the way he's been playing. I have no idea why so many teams passed on him including us!

16. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

and eventually he'll start clamoring for #protocol to be in writing

17. thisiscaketown

I don't think he provides anything more than what Terrence Jones brings to the table.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

But we're talking about a guy who was predicted to go in the top 5 in the NBA draft at one point. I think that's why some are asking why did we passed on him. Every pick is a crap shoot, so if you're going to take the risk on an underweight/undersized PF and a PF with mental health problems then why not take a risk on a guy who plays like a big 6' 9" player should play who may not get injured again. If you think about it every NBA player is prone to injuries each time they step on the court.

Sometimes that expression is lame, because there are some really knowledgeable basketball posters on this board.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like that kid from Denver. I think Faried is his name. Perferct big that runs and brings energy.

20. nt24

nt24 Member

This is why:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hm1w6BLTl50?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.