1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Jeffries in the summer league

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rezdawg, Jul 15, 2002.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What a bum, check out these stats against the Bucks:

32 minutes
    2-6 FG
    4 points
    2 rebounds
    3 TO

Of course, you can put too much emphasis on these games, but, if I was a Wizards fan, I would be pissed.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

:eek:
    I guess those extra 15 pounds of muscle did only two things... jack and ****
    Do you know how juan dixon is doing?

3. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

He's not a bum. Just because he didn't play good doesn't mean he's a bum. Maybe he's just not going to be a great NBA player, that's all. He has been working out like crazy, gaining 15 pounds of muscle so calling him a bum isn't right.

4. jams3y

jams3y Member

haha yes the one game and you suck. forgetting so soon the "one game" against a much more talented duke squad ( than a summer league squad ), in which he led an underdog indiana team to victory? lol why am i even posting, i don't give a **** either way... in saying that it probably seems like i'm saying he's instead gonna be a badass cus of THAT one game... let's clarify, i really don't care, but i just don't like ppl saying someone's gonna suck after one game.

#4 jams3y, Jul 16, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2002
  5. rezdawg

Did I ever mention anything about his future?
    Read my whole post before you type.
    I said:

#5 rezdawg, Jul 16, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2002
  6. jams3y

jams3y Member

actually, i did read your entire post. it was characterized by a sense of ambivalency, saying he was a bum, then that the games don't mean anything... then why say he was a bum, why say you would "be pissed if you were a wizards fan", if you didn't think the game held some semblance of the future? seemed to me like you wanted to have it both ways, i gave you my opinion in regards to the part i disagreed with ( the other side of your post was addressed in mine as well, giving a nice gift-wrapped package of what i thought ), because reasoning held that if you didn't consider him to be a bum, you woulda said he had a "poor game" or something. and even if that weren't the case, i'll still "type" whenever i like, so please don't try and tell me what to do.

#6 jams3y, Jul 16, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2002
  7. rezdawg

The game he had was like that of a bum. I could pull down 2 boards in 32 minutes of play. Spare me your lame responses.

8. rezdawg

27 min
    3-14 FG
    11 points
    6 rebounds
    2 steals
    1 assist
    3 TO

9. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Rezdawg, after reading some of your posts I think you don't know what you are talking about. You have claimed that "the only reason that I think Iverson is a punk because of what I've heard in the media', and now you are calling a hard working ball player "a bum", for having one poor game. That is totally crazy. What if he scores 30 the next game?

10. rezdawg

The bum comment was administered just for his performance tonight. THATS IT.

Its saying nothing about his future. Get that through your head.
    Again, read my previous post before typing.

11. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I read your previous post. I don't really care about that. I care about the fact that you just don't say a guy was a bum that night for having an off night. All of the best pro atheletes (not saying Jeffries is) have off nights. So if Michael Jordan in his prime only scored 10 points in one game would you call him a bum for that night? You should'nt. If you do bad someday at work would you like people to call you a bum?

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I can interpret about guys who put up big points in the summer leagues:

These are people with a scorers mentality. Given their druthers, they'd be the focal point.

What I can not tell about big summer league scorers:

Whether they're going to do it in the NBA. It's a fine line between Allen Iverson and Victor Page. I think it's pretty safe to say that there are plenty of guys who'd outscore the Ben Wallaces of the league in summer ball, but that doesn't mean they're better players.

IMHO, Jefferies can potentially follow the example of guys like Robert Horry, or Donyell Marshall. Being tall, long, lanky, and mobile, he'll alter the dynamic of the game on defense. But, as with Horry and Marshall, he has enough skill to actually get away with playing at the 3, but is more suited to a reactive offensive role. These guys are sort of the 'glue' that holds together the good teams.

I can appreciate a guy who realises he isn't on his game and therefore doesn't try to force it.

13. rezdawg

On nights that Michael Jordan had an off game, he played like a bum. Its just a term to describe their play for that ONE GAME. The same goes for my description of how Jared played. He played like a bum (A lottery pick should have a better performance than he showed). How many times will it take for you to understand that? Its not a difficult concept.

14. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Sorry Rezdawg, I think it is still wrong to say that a player 'played like a bum today', because the guy is probably out there nervous becauase it is his first game, working his but off, and he ends up playing bad. How would you feel if you worked that hard just to called a 'bum for the day'.

15. rezdawg

Im sure he is working very hard. Im sure he is nervous. Im also sure that he will play much better the next game.

I used to play pro tennis. On my off days, I played like a bum. People can go ahead and call me a bum that day. It doesnt mean I didnt work hard. Who cares what word I use, its just a term to describe not playing up to your potential. GEEZ!

16. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

Hes not calling him a bum, hes merely likening Jefferies's play in that particular game to that of a homeless man. With no basketball skills.

17. rezdawg

Even though I feel you are making fun of me, Thank you. A bum could get 2 boards and 3 Turnovers in 32 minutes of play.

18. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

LOL Ninja Sauce X. That's a good way to put it.

19. jams3y

jams3y Member

you keep saying you meant he "played like a bum", but you said he "was a bum"... normally, when ppl say "what a loser" or "that guy's an *******", it doesn't mean they were a loser / ******* only AT that time... it would be more appropriate to say "that guy ACTED like a loser", or he "ACTED like an *******"... or in your case, "he PLAYED LIKE a bum". i understand you now, but this little lesson in semantics is solely to keep you from having to constantly bicker with everyone... b/c if you had just said "jared jeffries had a ****ty game", no one would have given a ****, and this petty bantering would never have come to fruition...

20. rezdawg

I even said that you cant put too much emphasis on these games. Some people need to just chill. If all this discussion was over such a small technicality then the problem lies with the other posters, not me, because I tried to correct it numerous times in the thread.

#20 rezdawg, Jul 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2002