1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jan 1] UFC 125: Edgar vs. Maynard

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RoxSqaud, Dec 27, 2010.

1. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSZjNErXnIs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSZjNErXnIs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

2. Asian Sensation

I'm SO ordering this not because of the main event but because of the first 2 fights. The first 2 fights will be the best fights on the card.

Fireball kid vs. Guida?!?! Are you kidding me? That's going to be a blood bath. Could you ask for a better match-up? Maybe... but you'd be hard pressed to find one. I got Gomi via TKO.

And my boy Dong Kim!!!!!!!!! He finally gets a big name. I hope he destroys punk ass Diaz. I'd like to see Kim strike with Diaz just to show he can and then take him to the ground and pummel him. I can NOT stand Diaz and who better to beat him than the DONG.

3. Asian Sensation

And the light heavyweight champ is going to continue to be a guy named "Frankie" or a dude with a tramp stamp.

An impressive Gomi victory should get him in line for a title bout or at the very least make him a top contender.

4. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

...too bad the Carwin v. Nelson fight's not happening.

5. Prince

Prince Member

i like the under card. main event is like hobbit ufc;)

6. ketchupNmustard

Wow, alot of people are sleeping on the main event. I'm excited for the Gomi and Kim fights as well, but Edgar/Maynard is a good match up. Both men are in their prime. The champ is coming off 2 shocking wins against BJ Penn, and Maynard is undefeated and has earned his shot. Then the winner gets to test out Showtime to unify the lightweight belts. This fight is big.

And how can someone call it hobbit ufc, when they just added 2 smaller weight classes, I don't wanna be a sick but that just an ignorant statement.

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I love LW, anybody that says hobbit is just being dumb. That said, the main event is lame, Gray Maynard is the Jon Fitch of LW.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Anytime Clay is fighting, I'm watching.

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I may order this just for the Guida-Gomi fight.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Leben and Stann is gonna spark fireworks.

11. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

Fixed.

Agree on the solid undercard, main event is a snoozer.

12. ketchupNmustard

I can't wait to post back in this thread after the main event on saturday. Some people just don't know.

13. VanityHalfBlack

WOW, what a way to start the new year with that lineup of fights, JESUS CHRIST!!!!

14. Asian Sensation

Don't know what?

They're both really good fighters no doubt but Frankie is not a huge draw as a champion. As a matter of fact I bet if there was a poll for least known/unknown/boring champion ever... regardless of weight division Frankie would take the cake. There's nothing fun or excitign about the guy and he's just not a big draw.

Combine that with Gray Maynard who is also not very well known to the casual fan (he's a good up and comer) that hasn't finished a fight via ko or submission in over 3 years (he's got 8 wins via decision and only 2 by ko) and the odds are you're probably going to get a boring main event.

Looking deeper they've fought 25 fight between the two of them. And 16 of those have ended in decisions. That's almost 65%. I'd say there's a strong chance there's gonna be another decision on Jan 1st. At least it will be a 5 rounder.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sucks that Joesay Aldo (Goldberg lol) won't be on that card. Want to see him fight again so bad.

Anyone going to watch the Dynamite card on HDNet?

16. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

figured I'd put this in here....

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/...es-from-mma-accepts-new-executive-position-w/

Chuck Liddell Retires From MMA, Accepts New Executive Position With UFC

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

We need an official MMA thread.

UFC Heavyweight Champ Cain Velasquez Out 6-8 Months With Shoulder Injury.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/...p-cain-velasquez-out-6-8-months-with-shoulde/

18. ketchupNmustard

So you're saying a fight that results in a decision is boring? Look at fights that have gone to decision, Liddell/Silva was a sick ass fight, Griffin/Bonner 1 and 2 went to a decision, those were extremely entertaining.

I'm just trying to know what you wanna say. You came with all these stats and stuff, but why don't you just say if it's not a first round knockout it's a boring fight. Is that not where you are getting at wig your intolerance towards fights that go the distance?

1 person likes this.
  19. sew

sew Member

the Gomi/Guida fight may very well end up being a hump fest. Guida has already said that his strategy is to use his superior wrestling.

lets just hope Gomi has been workin on his TDD.

Stun Gun is one of the most underrated WW out there, but Diaz is a big step up in competition.

Leben/Stan is guaranteed fire works.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Repped my good sir.

If you find decisions boring you need to go watch smaller organizations where they setup major mismatches in order to provide knockouts. The UFC pits good fighters against each other. These are the best in their sport. They are not always going to be able to finish each other.