1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's court vision, passing draw rave reviews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Harden's beard

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...uard-James-Harden-s-court-vision-10592289.php

ATLANTA - After the opening-night loss to the Lakers, John Lucas made his way around the locker room.

The former Rockets point guard and current player development coach offered the encouragement the Rockets needed at the time and told James Harden that Harden would soon break Lucas' team passing records. A part of Lucas might not have believed it.

Logic and the evidence of that night - when Harden opened the season with a career-high 17 assists, getting 14 in the first half to match one of Lucas' Rockets records - indicated Harden could put his name all over the team's record book and maybe the NBA's. But that was one game and Lucas was trying to lift a sullen locker room. But Lucas noticed a different feeling after Harden had his second consecutive 15-assist night Wednesday in New York.

"I'm envious," Lucas said.

It's a big club given the changes in the NBA since Lucas was playmaking in the 1970s, with charter flights, sky-rocketing salaries and offense-friendly rules. Lucas could have understandably been envious that Harden, 27, is 37 years his junior, Euro-stepping into his prime.

"No," Lucas said. "I'm envious because I thought I was better."

He's having a hard time making that case. Against the Cavaliers on Tuesday, Harden became the first Rockets player to get at least 40 points, 15 assists and five rebounds in a game.

Against the Knicks, his 15 assists made him the second player in the past 15 seasons (along with Rajon Rondo in 2010-11) to get 15 assists three times within the first five games of the season.

Staggering numbers

His 30 points made him the second player in the past 10 seasons (along with Stephen Curry last season) to reach 30 three times in the first five games.

His three games with at least 30 points and 15 assists match the total for the entire NBA last season as the Rockets average 118.6 points per 100 possessions with the 6-5 Harden on the floor, tops among NBA starters.

As impressive, he has seemed to get those numbers in the past two games easily, without spectacular shooting nights for him or teammates, and with passes that were more about what he saw than did.

"He's really, really, really good. He's reeeeeeally good," Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said, running out of superlatives in the season's second week. "He just sees the floor really well. He just has a unique ability to be able to play and notice stuff ahead.

"(Steve) Nash was like that. The great players, LeBron (James), are like that. They just see the game in slow motion or one step ahead. He plays at a very easy pace.

"There's no reason he can't keep getting better."

There have been subtle passes he has thrown to teammates who did not know they were open. He has sent pick-and-roll alley-oops when he seemed to be shooting, bullets to the corners when he seemed to be driving and bounce passes behind him to the 3-point arc when he seemed to be on a fast break.

"There are passes he does sometimes that make you think he might really have eyes on the back of his head," Rockets forward Ryan Anderson said. "I'll be behind him, trailing in for a play. He'll drive. There will be three guys on him. All of a sudden, he'll jump up and throw it right behind his head. I never played with a guy that can read that situation and make a play like that.

"There's definitely moments you're like, 'That's incredible.'"

D'Antoni in awe

Asked if there are times he feels that way, D'Antoni said, "Every game and every practice."

As much as is made of Harden, averaging a league-leading 12.4 assists per game, becoming Rockets point guard, the change is mostly about his title. He brings the ball up now, rather than having to work free to get the ball in the half court. But there also seems to be a change in how Harden sees himself and his role.

"The good thing about him is he sees the game as a point guard," D'Antoni said. "He understands where he wants players. He's doing a terrific job. Sometimes as a coach you look and go 'maybe I should come up with some novel idea instead of just letting him go down the middle all the time.' But his numbers are off the charts."

Maestro of the offense

Harden said he is learning his options against different ways teams have sought to get the ball out of his hands or rotate in pick-and-roll coverages. But looking things over while he brings the ball up has brought a greater feel for the options.

"When you watch in practice, he just has a command of the offense," D'Antoni said. "He knows where everybody should be and he can put guys where they should be. He does an unbelievable job of orchestrating the whole thing."

Lucas looked at Harden's start another way, giving him the ultimate form of praise a player of his generation could.

"He's old-school," Lucas said. "Ever since I saw him play, I thought he's an old-school player. What I've learned when he became a point guard, is his feel for the nuances. He has all of that. He sees things that other people don't see, like Magic Johnson saw things. James sees those things."

With that, Lucas looked down and shook his head, knowing the records he has left could soon be slipping away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seems like this Harden guy is pretty alright

D-rock and Patience like this.
  2. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

im curious does anybody know if james played pg in high school.

3. Harden's beard

I've seen him doing interviews where he says that he started his basketball career as a spot-up shooter, so probably no. But Harden was the de facto main point guard of the OKC, so that experience might have helped.

4. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

but but but but he plays no defense....

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's the vid of some of those quotes. Sorry about audio being out of synch.

fwiw: That's Feigen and Watkins

#6 heypartner, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  7. OTMax

OTMax Member

I hate these type of responses. Are they supposed to be funny?

8. Harden's beard

I don't know, one thing I like about MDA is that he seems way more eloquent and well thought-out than McHale ever was. I actually find myself enjoying listening to his post-game interviews, which was not the case with McHale at all.

Cool youtube channel btw.

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  9. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't pay attention to those responses, because more time than not, they aren't watching the games just the highlights. Kenny Smith made a comment about Harden's lack of defense on NBA TV on yesterday, same for Stephen Jackson on ESPN. I think James has been balling on both ends this yr.

Jesus couldn't please everybody and neither can Harden but eventually they will see!

kevtse likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

I know the media acts that way, but I mean the responses here on CF every time something positive is said they have to play that role of the media and say "but....." to give themselves a pat on the back or for gags, I'm not sure.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Top five in scoring and leading the league in assists. Assuming it holds up the whole season, he probably won't win MVP in lieu of some scoring leader like James, Durant, or Curry on a team with a lot more wins. I'll believe it when I see it. If he does accomplish that, then I think he should win MVP no question.

12. Harden's beard

I wonder what those people would say about this :

<a href="">

Probably nothing.

Labels are hard to shake off and unfortunately most of the so-called 'NBA analysts' these days don't do their homework - a.k.a. watching the whole game - and instead get their precious basketball insights from few trending vine clips. Geniuses.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loving the move to PG.

DD

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah, I was surprised to see clips of Harden in Summer league when he was with OKC playing the point. I didn't know they were grooming him to be a PG.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If only we had a REAL elite playmaker....

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Okay. That fluff piece worked. I'm excited. If this is just scratching the surface of what James Harden is capable of with an offensive genius for a coach, we should all be very excited.

D-rock likes this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

That is great and all, but we should probably get a real PG, like say a Ricky Rubio, and take the ball out of Harden's hands. Harden, one of the greatest on the ball players of all time, should probably play more off the ball, for no reason whatsoever.

Patience and J Sizzle like this.
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Milk hair post game interviews

- "ball got sticky"
    - "there was no juice"
    - "I didn't know what to do"
    - "I was throwing darts out there"
    - "we didn't play hard enough"

19. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Just trying to mock those who will try to disqualify Harden's performance so far

James Harden is obviously a beast, rooting for him to lead the league in scoring and assists.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Playing well off the ball is also a very important skill..... lol....

I get that he is good at his craft but that last sentence is not perfectly right