1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden vs OJ Mayo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Nov 23, 2012.

1. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

This is what Harden does every game except for on 4x the contract.
    Harden is the next Joe Johnson and Lin if he doesn't get it going will also be an overpaid bum.

2. Postcall

Postcall Member

I think both Lin and Harden have a lot to prove. In Lin's case it is that he can be an above average-good pg consistently and In Harden's case that he is a tier 1 top 15-20 star in the league. The future looks bright.

3. roadmatter

roadmatter Member

OJ Mayo is like having a Kevin martin type of guy. In 2011 he averaged 12.6 Points per game and Kevin Martin averaged 17.1 Points per game. They both been known to drop more than 20 points per game. Kevin martin field goal percentage was 41.3% and OJ Mayo field goal percentage 40.8%. Kevin martin field goal attempts pretty higher than Mayo because Martin was our type of guy first with the ball type. They both is pretty good but Hes more like kevin martin than james harden

4. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

The future looks pretty ugly if thats all they are gonna be.

Lin borderline all star and Harden top 5.

5. jondoe

jondoe Member

You lost me at "...jordanlike potential..."

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're wrong. Harden ranks among the best in Points/Assists/Rebounds.

Most of the Harden haters just judge if he's had a good or bad game by his FG%.

7. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

There's actually quite a bit of difference in these statistics, as Harden's is significantly higher across the board. Also two years younger.

8. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Harden is better hands down. Much more versatile player compared to Mayo

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Orange Juice Mayonnaise is shooting 51% from three point land this season.

This is a ridiculous percentage and is completely unsustainable, and Mayonnaise's shooting will eventually fall back down to earth.

In comparison, James Harden is shooting 33% from three through 17 games, which is a low for him. Last season he was a 39% three point shooter. He will undoubtedly improve as the season wears on.

So if the feeling is that these two are close in terms of production or talent, that will change shortly. It will be Harden ahead and it won't even be close.

10. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

He's on a hot streak... You know... Like when they headlined linsanity vs kobe heh lol (flamesuit on)

11. lilojmayo

lilojmayo Member

Yep first matchup between James Harden vs OJ Mayo coming up next game.
    Obviously its not the end of all be all whoever wins the individual matchup, both a great players I don't think anyone will refute that part. With that being said.

OJ Mayo though has just been fantastic and he is seeing the same double/triple teams, traps Harden has been seeing. And the Mavs have way less talent than your Rockets.

Even with that

OJ Mayo 47/51/85 on 20/4/4 on 3 made 3s a game. Dude has been fantastic.

James Harden vs OJ Mayo will be a great debate from now and the future.

OJ the better player at the moment and there's nothing wrong with that

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Where do you get that from? James is doing everything better outside of shoot the three ball (and his past history shows he can drain that too...) and even with some real clunkers of games his numbers are still better than Mayo's.

James has had a rough 3 game scoring stretch that he'll break out of, but he's much more than just a guy who can score the ball.

13. AFS

AFS Member

Slightly digressive, but I think part of the reason Harden's 3-point percentage has fallen this year is the kind of shots he's been taking on the perimeter. I have no stats to back this up, but just from what I've seen, he doesn't take very many spot-up 3s anymore. The first couple of games were he had monster production, he got the opportunity to take a couple of spot-up shots on the perimeter. Since then, though, a lot of his 3-point attempts have been pulling up in isolation with a defender in his face. That's a significantly lower percentage shot. In OKC, a lot of his 3s were spot-up as well.

14. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Lol, even in this 17 game stretch Harden has better stats. And when you judge the two by career, theres no doubt that Harden has been the better player.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes. He's taking harder shots now so all of his %s are down.

He doesn't even need to, when Harden just plays within the flow of the game then he looks like a player that is easily worth the max. Even he admitted back in OKC that he's best just going with the flow of the game and he'd rather not force things. I think the coaching staff is telling him to be as aggressive as he is sometimes.

With that said, it's really a mental thing with him that hopefully he will get over (although it's not a given that he will...) or if the Rockets get another guy he'll just go back to naturally playing within the flow of the game.

16. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

OJ has been on a tear but those numbers will come back down to earth. This comparison with Harden however is not even close. Harden is an impact player capable of carrying his team, does everything well from scoring, play making, assists, and can find ways to score even if his shots aren't falling. (see fta/ftm stat)

Mayo is good at scoring with decent defense and that's pretty much it. Also, I disagree about the Mavs having less talent than the Rockets. I assume that you are joking though. Collison, Vince, Marion, Dirk, Camen compared to Harden and a bunch of rookies practically. On paper Mavs is the better/deeper team. Harden just trumps the expectations thus making him star potential.

17. FearTheBeardJH

I wish Harden could make that shot which Mayo did in last minute vs. Suns.

Mayo is underated passer and almost elite defender. I don't even want to check Harden's efficiency after first two games.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Harden can and has made many clutch shots. Against the Lakers he did not make many clutch shots but he made clutch plays.

With that said, efficiency is a overrated stat. Kobe isn't very efficient...when a players usage goes up their efficiency goes down.

For those wondering if Mayo is better, asks yourself if you'd trade him straight up for Harden if it were only for one year (so ignoring the fact that Harden is already better than Mayo and younger)

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

At the rate Mayo's playing right now, how much is he getting in the offseason? 4yr/$50mil? At least? If the idea is that the Rockets missed out on a cheap player, then this argument doesn't really hold water. Mayo will be paid near what Harden will be paid in the offseason, and he doesn't have nearly the impact. If and when his shooting comes down to norm, he may be overpaid.

Harden is a player that even on a bad shooting night like with the Lakers, can still will his team to win. During crunch time with the Lakers, it was Harden attacking the basket that got those free throws for himself and Smith. Was the most important part of that comeback.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Mayo's gonna be a career 45% guy

so is Harden probably..

I think it comes down to who's gonna be the more creative playmaker lending to more late-game success... I think Harden has more creativity to his game while Mayo is very solid fundamentally