1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden vs OJ Mayo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

LOLLOL

2. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

why not?

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Since O.J. Mayo abuses steroids and has had issues getting along with teammates in the past, nope.

Harden all the way.

4. Lihao

Lihao Member

because he's not as good as Jordan, and it's not even close

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Out of my ass apparently, since I don't know either. But when he was 25 KMart got 24.6/3.6/2.7. And that was his season average, not just 12 game start.

Martin played with John Salmons, Beno Uldrich, 2nd year Spencer Hawes, and Mikki More on that Sacramento team. I have no idea who on that roster was drawing defenses' attention away from Kevin Martin. If you watched many Sacramento Kings games back then, perhaps you can shed some light on the situation.

Anyways, in Martin's age 25 season, he was assisted on 57% of his baskets. This season, Mayo is assisted on 59% of his baskets.

6. MostLoyalFan

MostLoyalFan Member

the difference between the two is that OJ Mayo plays in an offense that has legitimate movement and off the ball screens so he's able to score a little more than he would elsewhere... especially if he was the defense's top priority. houston's offense is stale is hell and Harden still finds ways.

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'd have to go with the Bearded One, Harden, for the same reasons that other's have listed. He's younger, can get to the free throw line, had a more diverse offensive game, has more defensive potential, etc.

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

OJ Mayo is seriously overrated. He is nowhere nearly as impactful player as Harden. Not even close!

Will Mavs do well without OJ Mayo? Of course!

Will Rockets do well without Beard? Of course not!

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its not like Mayo came out of nowhere. He was probably more highly regarded as a player coming into the league.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I expected OJ to do well in Dallas in a starters role. I always thought Memphis mis handled him. OJ had a lot more to prove than JHard plus he's older and does not come with the star attraction that the Beard comes with. I think Harden is the better player even if its only slightly better at this time but more importantly I think Harden is more likely to attract that elusive 2nd star in free agency next summer.

11. Lihao

Lihao Member

no regret at all, Harden is better , Mayo is cheaper , we've got plenty of cap space that time, of course we should go for the better player.

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Harden is more complete but Mayo's got more killer instinct and dynamic scoring ability. I wonder what kind of contract he'll get in '13.

13. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

what were the MJ stats for his age of 23?

When Jordan started playing in NBA did everybody instantly knew he'll become Michael Jordan the best player of all time?

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

OJ is older and his stats aren't as good as Harden's, straight up. Harden has been the victim of anemic ball-movement and a floundering team with an identity crisis in the young season so far.

This is not meant as a disrespect to Mayo, I am very impressed with his season and would welcome him on the team. I do not like Harden's decision making late in games. Both players could improve further. We will see.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Jordan
    28ppg on .515 FG%
    5.9 APG
    6.5 RPG
    Rookie Year

Look, I think Harden can be a really great player in the NBA and I think people are placing his ceiling too low for such a young player who has only improved year by year...but he's not Jordan, not close.

16. SK34

SK34 Member

Smh @ some of you at saying OJ mayo seems fluky but Jeremy Lins Linsanity wasn't a fluke to y'all. Smh. Anyways, I'd still take Harden > Mayo cause Harden has played on a bigger stage.

17. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

There was a lot wrong with OJ Mayo's attitude in Memphis.

He was a cocky son of a gun while he was there.

Remember, OJ Mayo thought Tony Allen was a scrub and was basically clowning him on the plane. Tony Allen had enough and gave him an old school whoopin like he's never had before.

After that altercation OJ Mayo became humbled and realized he might not be the MAN like he thought he was.

He's always been a pretty good scorer though.

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Seriously?
    Jordan put up 28/5/5 in his rookie year, he was 20 back then.
    At the age of 23 Jordan averaged 37/5/5.

Look, I love Harden, but lets dont get toooo ahead of ourselves.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Accurate and fair post. As much as I hope Harden reaches Jordan's level, I just don't see it happening. LeBron and Kobe still have not achieved Jordan's level of play yet.

20. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

Harden is 24/4/4..as per offensive abilities I dont see he is that much superior...on the other hand MJ could be much better defender then harden?

On the other hand when MJ firstly appeared were everybody excited about the best player of all time? or they didn't knew about that already, and only later he deserved that title?

I don't claim harden is now better than MJ i just see an incredible potential in him....