1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden vs His opponents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It is hard to quantify how bad Harden is at defense because our team/help defense is so terrible. I have seen Harden play exceptional defense in short bursts at the end of games/quarters, however I have also seen him seem disinterested. People should keep in mind that we are playing at an insane pace and Harden is getting nearly 40 minutes a game carrying an enormous offensive load. Other than Hardens 26 pts, we have no idea whom else is going to score for us from game to game.

I will say that the defensive metrics show him to be close to average (at least the last time I looked), however, as I pointed out discussing other Rocket players defense, it is just so hard to rely on defensive statistics because our help/team defense is terrible.

I will say my opinion, is that Harden is a far better defender than Kyrie or Lillard. Kyrie is probably the worst defender I have seen in some time. He is essentially Amare Stoudamire at PG.

2. pnr

pnr Member

Yeah and this year his team is a 2 seed whereas the other years he made it out of the first round once riding the coattails of Billups.

3. gah

gah Member

I would hope for McHale to call him out on that, if he doesn't I hope hundreds of fans or the media deliver the message. His average should read 26 points minus 8.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Again, it is hard to say how well Parsons is defending. For example, last night he was guarding Jamal Crawford at one time and could not keep Crawford in front of him. However, if the Rockets played the P&R well, and played good team defense, it is possible/likely they Crawford would not have done as well.

Same thing goes for Jeremy Lin. He was lit up like a Christmas tree in certain match ups last night. For example, he was giving Crawford way too much room to shoot. Now, the question is, did Lin do that because he played poor defense, or because he had no confidence that if he played Crawford tight, that his teammates would rotate or pick up Crawford?

At this point it is just a huge ball of GROSS. It is so messed up that most of the defensive metrics are to be taken with a huge grain of salt, PPP, etc all are limited because the element of team defense is so hard to address.

I personally believe that Parsons/Lin/Harden all can be average to good defensively with more time together and better rotations.

5. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

It's his first starting season. It's going to take time to learn and adjust. Especially for the body to adjust to the energy exertion. He'll learn how to balance out his offense and defense.

The way I see it is we don't have to score 100+ every night and Harden doesn't have to go 30+. If we can defend 10 more possessions properly, the production is already there.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Kyrie has the same problem that Steve Francis had. Both were very quick straight ahead, but not laterally. Kyrie can improve, but he is never going to be a lock down defender.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is what I said last night too.

It's hard for a defender even as good as Parsons to stand out because our team defense is so bad.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lin & Parsons are already average to good defenders. Carlos Delfino is also good on D. Asik is excellent. Harden is well below average. Yes the Rockets team D is bad but as an individual Harden is a poor defender. Harden is the only player I have ever seen on the Rockets repeatedly walk back on defense. Even just basic fundamental things independent of team D Harden is below average at.

10. Nook

Nook Member

In fairness LeBron James was a poor defender for seasons before he became the best defensive swing in the NBA. Kobe Bryant played defense at a high level for 2 seasons. Kobe has been a poor defender for seasons. Scottie Pippen did not have to carry teams offensively, and was one of the most physically gifted defenders ever. Clyde Drexler was up and down as a defender.

The other thing is that EVERY single player you mentioned had atleast one other superstar next to them to help carry the load.

I expect Harden will ultimately be as good as Drexler as a defender or better. Harden plays very good defense when he tries. As the team gets better, and as the defense improves and the team defense improves, you will see Harden improve.

11. pnr

pnr Member

The thing is even on the Thunder he was a poor defender and was one of the reasons Sefalosha started before him. He really needs to change his mindset.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

I love Harden but he will never be MJ or Kobe. Also, I love how Kobe is considered a great defender. He gets on NBA defensive teams on just his reputation alone.

That's not to say can't be a good defensive player, but he picks and chooses when he wants to play defense, mostly during crucial 4th quarter situations. Kobe mostly sags off his guy and plays the passing lanes.

Maybe Harden will play some defense when Morey pairs him up with a complimentary superstar.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh no... the Rockets team defense is horrible, and that includes Lin, Parsons and Delfino. The Rockets' switches are terrible, they do not fight through picks, they do not rotate, they do not communicate.

The last I looked Harden's defensive metrics were not as horrible as you make them out to be. So either the metrics are very limiting, the team defense is bailing him out (it isn't) or he is not as bad an individual defender as you think.

I personally do not think he is a terrible individual defender, but he is horrible as a team defender..... along with 85% of the team.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

What's the difference between McHale and D'Antoni's system?

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Look again. There are only three Rockets who have a positive defensive impact. Asik Carlos Lin (in that order). Everybody else is a big fat negative.

16. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I suggested a number of games ago that Harden should try harder at defense but I got jumped, was told to stfu/gtfo, and accused of being a LoF. Apparently since he scores about 30 points a game nothing else matters.

Winning hides a lot of problems and weaknesses.

17. Nook

Nook Member

McHale is not really incharge of the offense the Rockets run.

Also, there is some debate over whether this is the pace and system the Rockets intend to run long term or whether they think this gives them the best chance of winning at this time.

If you are asking how the systems differ.... well DA is very much based on the spread pick and roll, and the point guard makes virtually all the decisions. Typically there will be a single initial screener in the post, the point guard will then use the screen, which causes everyone to collapse, and the point guard must make an immediate decision to pass to the perimeter, the moving screener or shoot at the basket.

I know what Finch and Morey are trying to run. They want less of the point guard alwayscoming off of a post pick, and want a team with good spacing (Dallas) where multiple players can handle the ball, drive to the basket and decide to pick out to the perimeter for 3's or drive to the basket or hit players cutting to the basket. The problem is that right now, the P&R is not being handled well, the spacing is poor, and if the threes are not keeping the floor spaced, you have a bunch of poor shots.

In theory, the Rockets system would be harder to stop because it is not point guard dependent. A SG or SF could also initiate the offense, and a PF and even the right center could handle the ball and shoot 3's if open, or trigger the break.

18. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes: Already discussed this and how hard it is to evaluate defense in metrics when you have absolutely no team defense or accountability on the switch. Further, virtually half the league is going to have a "negative".

It seems you have a vested interest......

19. liunatic

liunatic Member

Parson hasn't regressed, it's our rotations that are killing us.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The team needs to play D! If Harden does then he'll be the only one.