1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Players Tribune interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He has been called dumb for a long time.

I didn't call him dumb though. I just find it hilarious to class him as high iq.

Oh and I don't need to prove ish. Harden made the claim, let him prove Carmelo is high iq lol

2. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You could not possibly know what Morey thinks of Carmelo's iq. Even if he were asked, he would say OF COURSE!

It's amazing that Clutchfans think we could have gotten a high IQ, team-oriented, elite scorer for the minimum! The first time in NBA history this happens for a player in the thick of being able to demonstrate those qualities. Hooray!

3. HP3

HP3 Member

By who? When has there been a criticism of his bball IQ? I will gladly concede if you give me sources, or anyone calling him a dumb player.

Thats kinda calling him dumb though? I think if he buys in, he can be a high iq player, I dont think his intelligence has ever held him back more than his pride, thats just my opinion and speculation. I could be wrong come this season.

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

What does @vlaurelio think?

hakeem94 and vlaurelio like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure he wishes he could take that back and say it again. Just straight up savage though. Lol.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I love how Harden was smart enough to know that bringing in CP3 wouldn't threaten him. So he actively pursued that possibility, ultimately convincing him to sign here. Just like CP3's leadership rubbed off on Harden, I think the unselfish play of both of THEM will rub off on Melo.

Say what you will about Melo's history to this point, but the fact is he's never been in a situation quite like this one, which is set up to maximize his talents while attempting to hide his flaws. Those two stars on the Thunder are the opposite of CP3 and Harden. I think this year is going to be pretty damn special.

hakeem94, Richie_Rich, rhee and 6 others like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I cannot believe Harden admitted to using the media narrative as fuel! This is a tremendous day! Harden watches ESPN confirmation! To think Harden is watching the various sports shows smiling. Harden was even smirking in the interview, LOL! Have we ever heard Harden talk about his motivation? This has to be the first.

You can see Harden's confidence in his abilities to propel any team to success on court, but I don't think I have ever heard him talk about it this candidly. GOAT interview by the Player's Tribune.

hakeem94, Richie_Rich, rhee and 8 others like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

In the context of the interview it didn't sound like he was saying Melo has a high IQ. To me Harden was talking about himself and CP3. Harden expresses confidence in his and CP3's ability to get the most out of Melo.

Richie_Rich and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

So, it's pretty clear you don't know what high iq player even generally means if you think a player is going to BECOME a high iq player based on his circumstances at the age of 30-whatever. Seriously, do a google search and I think you'll find you're talking about something else altogether.

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Could be. Now that you mention it, it's not so clear to me.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

No homo?

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Judge Judy eyeroll.gif

14. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

This has got to the most enthusiastic, high-energy I've ever seen James in an interview.

It's weird to say the least.

DreamShook likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

The burden of proof is on you not me, you are the one who made the claim(and yes you did make the claim that people have called him dumb show me some proof). That kinda just shows to me you are just saying whatever you think without anything to back it up. LOL and yes I know what a high IQ basketball player is. I didnt say the man was gonna become Lebron James or something but when you are in the right situation with a good coach things change. The man even said OKC didnt even have a plan for him being there, we do. You didnt have to go ad hominem man, was just having a convo, sheesh.

#35 HP3, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Richie_Rich and clutchdabear like this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]

vlaurelio likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'm honestly not going ad hominem. For sure there are tons of totally random gaps in people's knowledge that would make them look silly in various moments, and I'm not excluded from that. Genuinely, with no antagonism, I think your definition of high iq basketball player is different than the vague concept people discuss. You repeat it in your last post too. Situation and coaching doesn't make you high iq, especially after 15 years in the league. A high iq player is a high iq player basically since they started playing basketball, and if it doesn't show initially while they are rookies in the NBA it soon comes to the forefront.

A high IQ player is essentially a coach on the court, someone like Chris Paul or Shane Battier. The exact opposite would be someone like Russell Westbrook or Karl Anthony Towns or Stephon Marbury - all very talented players in their own right. It's just a type of player. It's nothing necessarily to do with talent or ability to impact a game - dumb players are 100% capable of impacting winning - but it's just not something that someone is going to become over one off season. Perhaps if you argued that he has been improving that way every season, but that wouldn't be valid given he gave mediocre effort on defense and took 40% of his shots form midrange (his worst shooting spot) last season.

clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay, I see what you're going for here, my apologies. I can agree with alot of this. So first I wanna say that I disagree with your definition of high IQ player. Or at least, I wanna disagree that a high IQ player has to be a coach on the court, those are like elite level IQ players like Chris Paul, Harden, Lebron James or whoever. Your bar is way high. A high IQ player is a player who generally makes the right play at the right time, simple as that. That is the Carmelo Anthony that I think we can have. Ariza is someone I would consider a high IQ player, makes the right plays at right time.

In regards to Carmelo almost his WHOLE career, he's been a scorer , and the number one option on his team(except his later Knick days and OKC) , so he's not a high IQ player cause what? He doesnt get that many assists? Or he doesnt run a team? Does Kevin Durant also have a low IQ because he's a scorer? Is Kobe a low IQ player cause he was a scorer(could be a bad example depending on how you feel about Kobe)? Or you mean he takes bad shots, shots that he was taking pretty much his whole career as a number one option. Yea they are bad and they should go away. But changing the way you've played your whole career when you used to be a superstar like him is hard to do. Do I think he has he shown he can run a team like Paul, Harden, or James in his career, no, he'll never be that and never was that. You are right, he doesnt have the IQ to impact the game like that. But does that mean he cant make the right play at the right time. No, I think Olympic basketball has shown(although against weaker competition) that he indeed can make the right play at the right time. I think coaching and situation definitely impact that or will at least allow him to make high IQ plays that he is capable of.

Of course at this point, I could be horribly wrong and this season just goes to pieces but I have hope haha.

19. farhen

farhen Member

I'm guessing you are

20. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

IQ = Intelegence Quotinet, when applied to Bball it measures how a player applies the knowlege of the game that he acquired through experience, those with higher intelligence acquire information quicker and can react to outside information with more nuance and precision. To in layman's terms, the higher your intelligence, the more the game "Slows Down" for you.

However, BBIQ seems to be used to measure a player's knowedge of the game, which is mostly based on experience, not talent.

You can't really precisely measure a player's aptitude in spatial and situational awareness (which vary from person to person, even of similar intelligence) by watching them play basketball, but you can tell who has it in abundance and who lacks it altogether. Guys like CP operate at multiple speeds and change their play styles depending on what the defense gives them, those who can read a defense and have the brain and the talent to pick it apart, even when perfectly executed, are exceedingly rare in sport in general, with Peyton Manning and Chris Paul being the only two I can think of from this millennium.

HP3 likes this.