1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden named to All-NBA First Team; Howard Second Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 4, 2014.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Harden's defense is bad but it's overblown to the point where it's clouding people's judgement of his talent. He's one of the best offensive players in the league and basically the cornerstone to this franchise getting off the mediocrity treadmill. He's not only well deserved of the 1st team honor, it's not even really that close.

Who else did you want? Stephen Curry, whose team had a worse record and who is also a 0 on defense. Be proud rockets fans.

5 people like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Congrats to Dragic as well, helluva season and well deserved.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Stats don't mean jack? So what, exactly, are you using to compare and rate players?

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yao was robbed by Howard (or Shaq) for most of his career, not just 2009. Yao was the best center in the NBA for a 5 year span. Yao consistently ate Howard's lunch during their head to heads. Only clear advantage Howard had on Yao was rebounds. Yao was much better offensive player, not even close.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah, but if Cliff Robinson fronted Yao, the big guy vanished

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Noah over Howard is the biggest travesty I have seen this whole year. Other than Harden's defence.

Seriously, Noah shot 47.5% from the field as a CENTER, REPEAT, CENTER, on only 12 PPG. Let me remind you that Asik scored 10 PPG on 54% shooting, and this guy can't catch the ball. Quite frankly, Noah can't really score, and his passing ability is really starting to make him overrated.

In addition, Noah is not a better defender than Howard. It would be really interesting to see his defensive presence when he is not with Thibodeau and excellent perimeter defenders. Replace those guys with Harden, Parsons, and (insert PF here). This ranking is ridiculous, and why it is hard for me to take media opinions seriously (with exceptions).

7. BinBinRingRing

This is a regular season award right?

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Congrats to James.

Dwight got screwed in the All-Star voting and now this. Hatred is a factor.

9. j3i

j3i Member

Yup, just like Dirk's 2007 MVP award.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Obviously. The playoffs are even over yet

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Congrats to Harden and Howard. Good for Dragic, I guess WB doesn't qualify with missing half games.

12. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

not sure if Harden deserved first but if were just looking at regular season and not playoffs then Harden is deserving.. he was consistently great at getting to the paint and scoring. Not sure wherr that Harden went during the playoffs because Dwight played like an all star so i personally feel it should be reversed but based off the regular season they are both deserving.

13. Mr Chuck Norris

People do you guys realize we have 3 players on all NBA teams.....and we act like we are the bucks. This is why players don't like Houston

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I thought players don't like Houston because there are too many fat girls.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's SA ese

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Couldn't of said it better, these dummies don't know that harden is a legit MVP hof talent. His maturity and drive will determine wether he reaches those accomplishments, but at just 24 he's off to as you pointed out a very good start.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Exactly zero people take note, or care about your opinions.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

A lot of fans on here have been insecure about their star players as of late.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

Can't defend the post season flameout nor do I want to. I would like to point out that through 6 playoff games in the 1st round, Russell Westbrook was just as bad if not worse and Kevin Durant was in the neighborhood. Those two had an opportunity to turn things around and thanks to some late game heroics by a certain Blazer, Harden wasn't afforded that opportunity. Nice how so many people have completely written him off, but I guess it comes with high expectations. There are a couple of players each year that we chop to pieces after the playoffs and some like Nowitzki and Lebron eventually redeem themselves by winning big. After this playoffs, Durant, Harden, and CP3 are a few getting the hate. The story is not over for these guys. There are many chapters left to be written.

Secondly, Harden put up numbers in the regular season in points, rebounds, assists and steals that only a handful of player who certainly are much better than him have ever done. Type in his stats on basketballreference and you'll only see the names of Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, D. Wade, and Rick Barry pop up. That is it.

He has been a starter for only 2 years and has much room to grow, but he had a fine regular season. No shame in his selection. Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs has no bearing on any of these awards. KD would have still been the MVP had Randolph not been suspended and they managed to lose in the 1st round too.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all act like Harden played like a scrub in the playoffs. 27/5/6 is enough, even if it is only on 38% shooting.

27 points per 22 shots isn't awful either.