1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

No doubt

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He should absolutely win .

But these national pundits have their head stuck so far up their ass I don't feel good about his chances .

Can you imagine a scenario where he's not in the top 2 ? I could see it . It would be a travesty . I could even imagine a scenario where east coast guys favor Lebron and he's not in the top 3 . It would be hysterical . Never would a player have been so disrespected .

Honestly, part of me hopes he does poorly in the voting and then we win the chip and shove it down people's throats .

3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

James Harden is just 6 assists away from confirming that he will average a double double this season.

DonKnock, BigMaloe, Fullcourt and 2 others like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Gotta say, over the last couple of years I've seen the narrative on Harden from the majority of media people change from "manufactures fouls" and "flops his way to 28 ppg" to "is a gifted offensive player" and "is one of the craftiest guys in the league." In other words, most of them seem to have moved on from this idea that Harden cheats, and are now willing to at least give him credit for exploiting the rules to his advantage.

Will that be enough to overcome Westbrook averaging a triple double and Kawhi keeping Tim Duncan's team near the top of the standings?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This b****'s ****ing face when she has to say James harden ... What a hoe .

James prolly turned her ass down.

#1265 snowconeman22, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    DonKnock, BigMaloe, Drogba and 3 others like this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Harden will only get first, second or third votes on an MVP voting card, it seems Westbrook will get either 1st or 4th and 5th voting preferences. The second vote card would put Harden in a strong position to win

7. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

If Rockets can beat Thunder on Sunday and then win one of the two GSW games, Harden should lock it up

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

How do you know this ? You stated that as fact yet voting hasn't happened yet .

I'd be more worried that if Westbrook averages a triple double then no one will put him lower than 2 .

Kawhi will be 1-3 only too given that he's got the best record and night have the 1 seed too .

James should win , but even people that value team success might put WB over him becuase of the trip dub and out Kawhi #1 .

I don't think James falls out of the top 3 , but I also don't know how many Lebron but huggers there are .

9. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

It was nice getting to see the foul on Harden before the Leonard block again.....

Man they are clearing the lane for dem easy bounds for Mr Westbrook

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

She's a stupid LA fan. I can't stand that cu*t.

DonKnock, RasaqBoi and mario_v like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Westbrook is 1 tech away from a suspension. I wonder how the voters would view him missing a game due to a suspension because he passed the technical foul limit.

#1271 Reeko, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Deuce likes this.
  12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He better be on his best behavior when Philly visits OKC on Wednesday. Cuz if he picks up a tech in that game, he'll be suspended for the showdown at Toyota Center on Sunday. The ABC broadcasting crew will be apoplectic if he winds up missing that game after what they've been through with the Spurs, Warriors, and Cavs all sitting their stars over the last 2 weekends.

DonKnock, BigMaloe, Fullcourt and 2 others like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think you know the answer to this.

"Westbrook plays with such fire, he can't contain his rage! His will to win is unmatched! If only he had players around him that matched his level... He's probably tallying a triple double during his suspension! What a specimen! What a player!" *fap* *fap* *fap*

#1273 DreamShook, Mar 21, 2017
  14. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/17131591/2016-summer-forecast-west-standings
    http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/17155333/2016-summer-forecast-most-valuable-player
    Not even in the running for MVP as far as they are concerned at start of season.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/...iest-most-analytically-correct-mvp-debate-all
    Oh OK let's see how we can paint him out of the picture.. look at the focus at things that doesn't paint Harden to be MVP! Sure if you read the whole thing you get more detail and more Harden comments but all the key visuals are pointing towards ANYTHING ELSE.

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder
    How the hell is Westbrook in this?? I get it - great statistical season etc. - but there's no MVP fitting 10TH RECORD IN NBA(and looking set to drop lower) - EVER. Remember, Oscar's triple double season didn't win it either... the award isn't "most numbers" award it's most valuable and sure that often goes to guys on stacked teams but at least has a healthy trend of favoring those bringing winning teams to the table!

I can't believe so many "analysts" are falling for the inflated stat lines.

Remember when Kevin Love was looking like the greatest stat man of all time back when he had his best years in Timberwolves?? He never achieved anything but everyone was all over him as one of the best big men in the game (at the time). Fast forward to him leaving to Cavs and suddenly he is what he really is - a strong complimentary piece only.

If you want a real "stat" analysis then here's something a bit more credible...
    http://static.bkref.com/friv/mvp.html
    http://www.oddsshark.com/nba/nba-mvp-201617-betting-odds
    (I know one is betting, but those guys do more homework than anyone - there's money involved after all!)

DonKnock and Richie_Rich like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

How much did this game hurt Westbrook's MVP chances?

Max: ...(Not much) ... The idea of finishing the season with a triple-double ... there's something so sexy to sport writers about the idea of a triple crown. If Westbrook ends the season with a triple-double on playoff team without a ton around him, these sport writers who grew up in an era where the greatest had no shot to average a triple-double, we were never going to see it happen again. If he does that for a playoff team, you can say whatever you want about Harden, real good chance Russell's name is on that trophy.

Stephen A: You should be drug tested & any reporter who thinks like you should be drug tested. Here's the reality: you can talk about Russell averaging a triple-double all you want. He's 8 games worse than Harden. He's averaging 29, 11 & 8. It ain't like he's off the map. He's damn near averaging a triple double himself. Over the last 5 games, he's had 4 triple-doubles. Oh by the way, in those 5 games, 4 of them: 38, 41, 40 & 39. The only game he had under 20 was a win over the Lakers - where he recorded a triple-double - in which the game was over at halftime & they won by 39. While Westbrook is doing this, people are acting like Harden faded from the picture & went into the sunset chillin' on vacation. He's ballin', damn near averaging a triple-double himself, 8 games better, top 3 seed in the West, & oh by the way, he hit a game winner last night. Last night where he didn't have a triple double: 39-11-7. It's amazing how people talk about Harden like "OMG, Westbrook is doing this!" while Harden is on vacation. Harden is the front-runner. Period! Period! Period!.

Max: 29-11-8 vs 31-10-10. Westbrook is averaging an extra bucket, 2 more rebounds & behind an assist. Where there's a statistical advantage in those triple-crown categories is to Westbrook. Team record to Harden by a bit. But let me ask: 1) Who's team is better designed around him?

SA: Harden.

Max: So Harden's team is designed better around him & that'll show up in the W/L record.

SA: Yes, go ahead.

Max: And let me be clear: Harden was a beast before D'Antoni. But is he good for your triple-crown stat line if you're the primary ball handler?

SA: Yes.

Max: So his numbers aren't completely inflated but somewhat inflated & his team is properly designed around him, yet Westbrook has better numbers & the W/L record is explained by the design of the team.

SA: For those who don't know basketball or struggle a bit - yes, I'm talking to you Max Kellerman & those Max Kellerman clones all over the place - when you talk about inflated numbers, how come you don't bring up how that helps Westbrook? If you don't have so much & get to operate how you want, shooting when you want & are expected to do it when you have little to rely on, does that not inflate your numbers? The same argument against Harden I can make against Westbrook. They're the top 2 MVP candidates. In the end, I don't see Westbrook doing anything that James isn't. One thing James is that Russ isn't doing enough of is actually winning.

Max: Based on the question, we acknowledge James is a little ahead & it's not over yet. In terms of them not wining enough & design of the team, surround him with shooters.

SA: Hello? He had Kevin Durant the first 8 years. We said then he was being held back. Now Durant is gone, the show is his & now you say give him someone like that?

Max: With Durant healthy, his numbers will be kept down. If you surround him with shooters like Harden, not just one person but shooters to hit shots, different story.

SA: Ibaka can hit a 15-17 footer. Harden was once on that team. (Max: Who started, who came off the bench?) Durant was on that team. Reggie Jackson was on that team. We still heard criticism of Westbrook. Max Kellerman, if James Harden instead of Westbrook, if Harden had Kevin Durant & there was no Westbrook & it was Harden & Durant instead of Westbrook & Durant, who would be better?

Max: They were on the same team. Russell started, Harden came off the bench.

SA: I'm talking about based on what you see from the two players - who Harden is & who Westbrook is - who would Durant be better with? Which team would be better?

Max: Maybe James Harden.

SA: Thank you. End of discussion.

#1276 J.R., Mar 21, 2017
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stephen A. Smith was preaching that gospel! Hallelujah.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Gaining respect for Stephen A. Not only does he consistently make more sense than his fellow hot-takers, but he doesn't flip flop every 30 seconds.

Kellerman said it best, though. Say what you want about Harden, but for many voters, the triple double is the holy grail. Many votes will be cast strictly off stats.

Killatron 2000 and DonKnock like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

When the Rockets ramp up their "Harden for MVP" campaign they'll make it abundantly clear that Harden is almost averaging a triple double as well and he has more quality triple doubles than Westbrook does (1st player in NBA history with 2 50 point triples doubles in 1 season and the most 40 point triple doubles in 1 season in NBA history as well). A lot of people make it seem like Harden is averaging 25, 5, and 5 and that his statline is nowhere near Westbrook's when his numbers are just as insane.

mario_v likes this.
  19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

At this point with the Warriors bouncing back and the Spurs' shot at the #1 seed taking a hit, I'm thinking the MVP race is between Harden and Westbrook and comes down to 2 factors:

First is the team record as Stephen A. and Kellerman were debating. If the Rockets do wind up 8+ games ahead of the Thunder in the standings at the end of the season, that makes a compelling case for Harden. After all, that was a decisive factor in Curry's favor 2 years ago when his team won 11 more games than the Rockets.

The second factor is that showdown with OKC this Sunday. Granted, basketball is a team sport, but I think a lot of media folks who have a vote are gonna be tuning in to see which player performs better.

Reeko likes this.