1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I do respect him as a personality too, just don't consider his opinions that much.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Thanks for posting the article, really enjoyed reading their comparison between past and present mvp through the metric of game score. By any chance was there a table/list with the highest avg game score or most games over the avg games score over the past MVP years and not just this past season?

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sporting News Sean Deveney going full LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Russell Westbrook, Thunder
    2. Kawhi Leonard, Spurs
    3. James Harden, Rockets
    4. LeBron James, Cavaliers
    5. Isaiah Thomas, Celtics

Westbrook has done something this season that has not been done in 55 years, and all the arguments that can be stacked against his MVP candidacy are just not enough to obscure that fact. He was the story of the season, and his numbers say it all: 31.9 points, 10.4 assists, 10.7 rebounds.

You average a triple-double, you should be the MVP.

Yes, Westbrook has mundane shooting percentages, 42.6 percent from the field and 34.4 percent from the 3-point line, both well below league averages. And his team is sixth in the conference with 47 wins prior to OKC's season finale Wednesday night, which would match Moses Malone for the 1981-82 Rockets as the last MVP playing for a team with so few wins and seeded that low within his conference.

But there have been MVPs for worse teams, though only twice. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s Lakers were 40-42 and did not make the playoffs in 1975-76, and the first-ever MVP, Bob Pettit, played for the 33-39 St. Louis Hawks in 1955-56. Have a look at the Thunder roster and consider where the team would be without Westbrook.

Again, all anti-Westbrook arguments crumble in the face of the simple fact that Westbrook made it through an entire NBA season averaging a triple-double. That’s an incredible accomplishment, and he should be MVP because of it.

-----

BTW, I quested Deveney on his selection of KL over Harden at #2. The conversation:

ME: If you chose Westbrook as your MVP based on his stats, what was the reason for placing Harden 3rd? Not sure I follow the logic.
    SD: Because Kawhi Leonard was second.
    ME: Right, I did read your column and saw the ranking. I just was curious as to your reasoning, the factors involved to make the decision.
    SD: It is always the same, a combination of individual performance and numbers, plus team performance and intangibles.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CBS Sports Matt Moore, who is an influencer on twitter did a HUGE, deep dive into the MVP race. Very detained and lots of context.

Moore choose Harden.

This is absolutely worth a read.

Richie_Rich, adw, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Does anyone know for sure if Steve Kyler is an official voter? (all jokes aside).

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

He is.

Deuce likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think this is a good point. Who gets the 2nd place vote if Kawhi Leonard is your 1st. Could be big!

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Please tell me this fool isn't an actual voter.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Here is my updated list. Work in progress.

BTW, not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but Calvin Watkins DID confirm on Twitter he is an official voter!

OFFICIAL MVP VOTERS
    Howard Beck - Harden
    Calvin Watkins - Harden (hopefully)
    Broussard - Westbrook (Harden 2nd)
    Isola - Westbrook (Harden 2nd)
    Bontemps - Leonard (Harden 2nd, Westbrook 3rd)
    Wilbon - Westbrook
    Beadle - Leonard (obviously)
    Royce Young - Westbrook (obviously) (Curry 3rd!)
    Haberstroh - Leonard
    Windhorst - Westbrook
    Jon Krawczynski (AP) - Westbrook
    Tim Reynolds (AP) - Lebron
    Brian Mahoney (AP) - Harden
    Simmons - (appears to lean Harden)
    Lowe -
    Matt Moore - Harden (Westbrook 2nd)
    Sam Amick - (probably Westbrook)
    Rachel Nichols - (probably Westbrook)
    Marc Stein - (probably Westbrook)
    Shelburne - (probably Westbrook)
    Flannery -
    Ziller -
    Deveney - Westbrook (Leonard 2nd, Harden 3rd)
    Aldridge - Westbrook (Harden 2nd)
    Arnovitz - (leaning Harden)
    Steve Kyler - Westbrook (Harden 2nd)

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty sure he is. Sadly.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'd prefer him to run away with it if he's gonna win. That way we know Harden never had a chance no matter what, and we can just accept that reality going forward. Great players like Shaq and Kobe only have 1 MVP each. If Harden gets shut down for a media award it is what it is.

12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Why Mike D'Antoni is a bad fit for the Houston Rockets | FOX Sports

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Vivi likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's going to be Westbrook. You can make a case for either Harden or Westbrook to be honest. I think Harden has a slight edge but I am biased.

At the end of the day, Westbrook as the better narrative and that's what media types gravitate towards. Think about it, if you are a sportswriter - which is the better story to write about? What's more exciting for you and your readers?

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

"In the interest of full disclosure, the conversation with D’Antoni was the latest PR move driven by team officials who want so badly for their star player to win the award. This is standard procedure this time of year, when the politicking efforts are made until all the votes are in. Rockets CEO Tad Brown noticed a recent USA TODAY Sports interview with Thunder coach Billy Donovan via Twitter, then recommended that D’Antoni join the conversation as well. Alas, here we are."

Makes it sound like he was so excited to do this :rolleyes:

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I love that Rockets CEO Tad Brown saw that Amick did a Donovan interview, and then pushed to have MDA have his chance, his say. Equal time and all. Nice work Tad!

DonKnock likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BTW, I am pretty convinced from Amick's tweets that he will go Westbrook in his MVP vote.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. Handles

Handles Member

I'm expecting James to lose and it makes me really sad. We all know James deserves it more. At the end of the day, James is just a better player than Westbrook. Through and through. Stats are better, record is better, playmaking is better, shooting is better, decision making is better.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wow what an a$$hole. If you have either Westbrook 1st or Kawhi 1st then Harden has to be 2nd. It doesn't make sense any other way. You should also have you vote taken away if your only criteria is triple double.

adw, slothy420 and DonKnock like this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

Goodnight, my friends.