1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden follows the footsteps of Tracy McGrady, as far as efficiency is concerned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxD, Jan 30, 2013.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

you mean a 2-time scoring champion? leading the rockets to a 22-game WIN streak?

so you don't want those? :confused:

2. Rocket Booster

Even though T-Mac is a proven loser and quitter, it's not fair to compare him to Harden. T-Mac when he was younger is way better than Harden is now.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

your reading comprehension skills suck.

I'm not dissing McGrady. I'm recanting specific facts.

this board is too full of black and white. People seem resolved to always have to align themselves with one side.

Why can't you say that the streak was a mix of timing, opponents and great team play without it being a hating Tracy comment?

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

studogg,

you and I remember the streak, the coaching, the team chemistry, the new heroes stepping up every night. Showcasing our talents OTHER THAN McGrady and Yao, while McGrady fans use it merely as a career highlight in a career that was disappointing for someone who was so talented.

you ever hear a Rockets fan say, hey Hakeem was responsible for that 15 game winning streak in 94???

you know why? cause they know he did greater things that season.

McGrady fans thinking: What can the Rockets do for McGrady?
    Rockets fans thinking: What can McGrady do for the Rockets?

If you ever see Daryl Morey, thank him, buy him a beer.
    If he asks to pay, tell him... "It's on me"

5. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

Heartless and soft is completely wrong.

Your argument can only be made for his last season.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I'd be ecstatic if Harden gets to T-Mac's level. We may have all hated his softness (which had much to do with his glass body), but that guy was elite in his prime. Unstoppable scorer with crazy handles and a point guard's playmaking skills.

I'm pretty optimistic about Harden because, similar to McGrady, he isn't just a scorer. His playmaking is up there with the best of them as far as 2 guards are concerned. I don't think he's as gifted as McGrady in that aspect, but I think he's got the talent and the drive to get to similar level. Can't wait till Morey is able to get that second max guy!

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Whoop dee doo daa!!!!

Do you think the winners in this league care about regular season scoring records? The winners care about playoffs and winning series and winning rings.

That you are placing so much importance on regular season scoring numbers speaks volumes about him as a player and you as a fan of his.

The myth that he led them to a 22-game win streak has been shot down multiple times by multiple people in this thread and past threads as well. The whole team was playing at an insane level that streak. McGrady was just one part the machine. They wouldn't have had the 22 game win streak without him but then again they wouldn't have accomplished it without the insane production from other players like Scola and Alston in particular.

Example: The game against lakers where Mcgrady disappeared going up against Kobe (yet again because he was intimidated by him), but Rafer came to the rescue with his 3 point bombs. Rockets ABSOLUTELY would NOT have won that game without Rafer.

So quit pretending and dreaming that your regular season hero led you to a regular season dreamland all by his lonesome.

Nope. I will gladly trade all those for deep playoff runs, playoff series wins, and rings.....things that winners crave.

I have been spoiled by the championship years. As an avid fan of McGrady, you are not going to understand that.

#67 Zboy, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're a joke. Shadaaaap.

When's the last time you even attended a game? Mister real Rockets fan.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

you want to hear a joke?

So McGrady is in China right, and a Chinese fan goes up to him and says

"Ni hao"

So McGrady says "Oh my knee is oww all the time! "

10. tinman

Supporting Member

These guys never were scoring champions.
    [​IMG]

11. sammy

I hope you realize that you're killing the quality of the GARM.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. TheGoldenGreek

Tracy McGrady was a supremely gifted athlete who, when healthy and focused, was one of the best players in the NBA. Few could produce anywhere close to the same offensive numbers he did and to this day one of McGrady's most underrated attributes was his playmaking ability. The only issue was those qualifying factors; he wasn't ever healthy or focused enough to realize his full potential as a basketball player. What we now have in Harden is another uber-talented swingman who has the potential to lead the Rockets to a championship. Stop comparing the two and try to remember the good times with McGrady and look forward to all the good times ahead with the beard!

14. sammy

15. Nook

Nook Member

Harden is not as physically gifted as McGrady, but then again McGrady is one of the most physically talented players in NBA history. He has the length and size of a power forward, the vision and first step of a point guard and was as explosive as a two guard.

Had T-Mac stayed busy, worked harder and been willing to not settle for 20 foot jumpers, he would have been one of the 10-15 best players ever. There were very few things he could not do.

Harden is not quite the athlete T-Mac was, but he is smarter and more skilled. Further, he is not afraid to score inside and seems to have a more mature mental outlook.

When it is all said and done I would not be surprised if Harden is better.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't come in to Houston as often as I should, but I don't define my fandom based on what you say.

First and foremost, I'm a 99er. you know all the 99ers keep it real.

Two. All the complaints about the GARM are not about 99ers or people making up crap about the 22 game winning streak being about 1 player. This is just a small portion in a thread.

You are focusing on the wrong poster or posters dude. Cause 99ers are forever.

You think I caused the Rockets fans to do this?
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wQ8_sQZOKjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z7qT-39KaGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nope.

What are Rockets fans dude? People who keep reference last year's Knicks highlights? People who think a scoring champion from Orlando who went 21-61 is better than Moses Malone?

You can waste your energy on me dude, but you know I will keep it real.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

So you're mad I called Ziggy a "real Rockets fan"??

He CORRECTED someone and told him that the 22 game winning streak was a total team effort, not just one person.

and he's a 99er. I'm just giving props to him.

if you said anything good I'd give you props too.

So do you agree? 22 game winning streak was a total team effort?

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Zboy,

you are a real Rockets fan.

(This statement will cause resentment by other users such as :sammy,
    he will claim that I'm ruining the GARM by praising my fellow Clutchfans
    )

19. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Could not agree more. It is always a team effort. When Harden refuses to pass, it drives me nuts.

1 person likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Great post!

Harden will learn just like all the greats like Olajuwon, Jordan etc when they were younger.