1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: Allstar or Superstar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Antec, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Harden (as of right now): Allstar or Superstar?

1. Allstar

253 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Superstar

209 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Guess you never heard of Magic Johnson. The Lakers would often hide him on defense throughout his career.

2. Remii

Remii Member

All-Star on the court. Maybe during his Orlando days in the east. If we had Howard instead of Harden two years ago _ no playoffs and drafting in the lottery. Howard can't necessarily carry a team offensively (his offense comes and goes), and as you can see even with him the Rockets defense is still bad. It's more about who he has on the court with him because he can only do so much from his position (and or the coaching and style of play).

Harden may lack on the defensive side of the ball but he can still carry a team to the playoffs (in the west) regardless if he trips and falls when he gets there. He's still young and some young guys take time. It's just his 2nd year as a starter being the #1 option. NBA is sometimes about patients and letting a player mature and develop on the court and that's what Harden needs. But our championship aspirations jumped through the ceiling once we got Howard so we expect that process to be exhilarated with Harden when we probably shouldn't.

Anyway. Super star is a wide ranged term. Some players are called super stars because they are box office. Like Howard.

3. Remii

Remii Member

I meant accelerated.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dang if there is only 2 Superstars in today's NBA then the league is watered down. These players need to step there games up. LOL

I miss the good ole days! haha

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I wasn't sure how to define superstar, so I thought about who I considered superstars in the 90s without over thinking it, just my gut reaction. I ended up thinking of the best 1 or 2 players from many teams. This included guys like Kemp to Dominique to Ewing. Of course it goes without saying Jordan, Hakeem, etc. I'm curious what other people think.

By that standard I guess I'd have to say Harden is even though I didn't think so as my initial reaction.

Certainly Lebron and KD are in a higher tier of their own, with Duncan and Kobe grandfathered in. GOAT discussion worthy.

6. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

superstar is a player who excels on both sides of the ball...right now there are only 2 superstars in this league....cp3 and lebron and possibly paul george...other than that, the rest are stars(melo, howard, etc.)

7. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Paul George is so overrated.

NBA Superstars(IMO):

Tim Duncan
    DWade
    Kobe
    CP3
    Blake Griffin
    DRose
    Melo
    Durant
    Dirk
    LeBron

I guess you can throw Harden and Howard up there.

8. Antec

Antec Member

At least Paul George plays defense.

9. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

hardan, superstar this is joke I suppose.

10. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

lbj,durant,carmelo,westbrook,nowitski are superstar now

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

There are more players that can play defense at the level that George plays than there are players who are offensively talented as Harden.

There's a reason that elite offensive players get more than elite defensive players. I get that George is a two way guy, but his elite skill is more replaceable and replaceable at a cheaper rate.

You want a player as gifted as Harden on offense? You are paying the max. You want a George level defender? We just got one for 8 mil a year.

12. verysimplejason

For me, neither... Till he turn a new leaf and prove himself in the playoffs he'll not be a superstar nor even an all-star. Other's opinion might differ but for me a star (superstar or all-star) is somebody that is really stellar on both sides of the court and makes everybody a lot better.

13. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Super super star

14. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Superstar and one of the best players in the game one the offensive end. Pretty much nothing on the defensive end.
    I would reserve the superstar status only for Lebron, KD, Chris Paul, and a healthy Derrick Rose.

15. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I think if you win an map you should be considered a superstar, so I would add Durant and healthy Rose to that list.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i think it's funny that people think harden's bad playoff series doesn't make him a superstar but dirk is, dirk shot 43%/8% (not a typo)/80%

Shooting percentages are so random over a small sample

17. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

NBA 1rst team! Superstar...peeps seem to forget he carried a team on his back to 6 games as an 8th seed his first year here, and first year as a number 1 option....
    oh clutchcity.net has gone crazy....my goodness chilllllllll
    SUPERSTAR-(yes he needs to play both ends of the floor, but it's called team Defense, and we have forgot what that looks like)
    -"what have you done for me lately!?"

18. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Superstars are either unstoppable night in and night out, or they play both ends of the floor. If they do both of those things they are Michael Jordan or Lebron James.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That's your definition zcarenow not everybody else's. A lot of the exoerts and ex-players define the word Superstar differently as well. Kenny Smith, Shaq, Webber, Hill and Fox called Harden a Superstar. I've heard some say he was because of his lackluster defense.

20. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Steve Francis type of all star