1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: Allstar or Superstar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Antec, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Harden (as of right now): Allstar or Superstar?

1. Allstar

253 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Superstar

209 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Superstar. Although I admit I am fairly liberal with the term "superstar." I consider the top 10-15 guys in the NBA superstars.

But 1st team all-NBA, and 5th in MVP voting? C'mon now.

2. Antec

Antec Member

Has Harden's efforts on the defensive end, improved at all since entering the league?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[youtube]wVYJULACcao[/youtube]

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why do u guys always like to discuss so-so topics?
    Harden is harden whether what u think what he is.
    What is allstar? what is superstar? can u give a standard?
    I don't understand why the Rockets fans r such nonsense!

4. TheJet

TheJet Member

This is way too subjective to prove. All star is easy. You either make the All Star team or you don't. All NBA is the same. Superstar is something else. Where's the line? What puts you in that category? Championships? Individual honors? Scoring titles?

That's like, "Hall of Fame" vs. "All time Great". Do they mean the same thing?

Off the top of my head let's say it goes like this:

Scrub (Dorsey?)
    Rotational player (D-Mo)
    Solid contributor/role player (Beverley)
    Above average role player (Parsons)
    Borderline All Star (Lowry?)
    All-Star (Howard)
    All NBA (Harden)
    Hall of Famer (Duncan)
    Once in a generation player (Durant)
    Once in a lifetime player (MJ)

Just some rough examples, but I'm betting even on a list like that there are tons of folks that would disagree. All subjective.

Fun to debate though!

5. Antec

Antec Member

What does "harden is harden" mean?
    I gave you my personal standard in my first post, I think we tend to overuse and misuse the term superstar when comparing to allstar. I feel like we only have a few superstars today, but many allstars. And Harden is an all star. If you want to see my personal standards, read right under where you quoted me.

We like to discuss what we think of our players because its not like there is anything else to talk about...
    Unless you want to talk about how butthurt we are over parsons, or what a jerk bosh is, how pat riley is the devil, or how morey failed, how we gave away lin AND our first rounder for nothing, or would you rather talk about how much an impact Joey Dorsey is going to have?

6. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

What are you comparing you ridiculous asshat? The stats are all wrong. And you compared age 23 Harden to 24 Arenas. Also Harden never shot .446 from the field in a season.

7. bmd

bmd Member

This.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Top 10 offensive player.

I believe he can be at least average defensively.

Superstar.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

All stars are made in the regular season.

Superstars are made in the Finals.

IMO, true superstars play within the team concept and elevate their teammates to achieve greatness. They are flat-out winners. They are clutch. They embrace the pressure of making the right play, regardless of the stat sheet. They are unstoppable, fearless and consistently dominant.

This generation has its lot of faux superstars.

Given the above criteria I would say each generation has 3-4 genuine superstars -- not stars.

Began watching in the early 80s so I'll start there.

80s -- Kareem, Magic, Bird, Thomas
    90s -- Jordan, Olajuwon, Malone
    00s -- Duncan, Shaq, Kobe
    10s -- LeBron, Durant

All others like Barkley, Ewing, Stockton, Drexler, Robinson, Miller, Iverson, Dirk, DWade, CP3, etc. are great players but not quite superstar caliber, IMO. The term 'superstar' gets thrown around far too freely for my liking.

Others will disagree, and that's OK.

10. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

All wrong

11. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Stick to the buffet line, fatty!

Martin, Lamb and Adams for Harden - LMAO

13. Antec

Antec Member

I actually pulled those from an article long ago comparing the 2 and those were the numbers they used. But that's fine if they are slightly off, I pulled the following numbers from basketball-reference.com myself.

Arenas:
    [​IMG]

vs.

Harden:
    [​IMG]

14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

none of the above.

15. Antec

Antec Member

If harden doesnt show dramatic improvements on defense this upcoming year, im going to make the bold statement that he has reached his peak. He's going to be as good as he will ever be.

This is a make it or break it season for Harden in my mind in terms of stardom.

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

If Harden's a superstar, then Hakeem should be considered a minor deity.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

First of all, Wes Matthews isn't a scrub. He's a good 2 guard on both the offensive and defensive end.

Secondly, if you believe that Wes Matthews shut down Harden then either you didn't watch the series or you don't know much about basketball. Portland schemed their entire defense to stop Harden. They chose to not double Dwight and to completely ignore our PF (Jones or Asik) so that they'd have two big men camped in the paint at all times. Matthews responsibility was to play up on Harden to contest a 3 pointer and over play to the outside to force him to the middle where Aldridge and Lopez were waiting.

That's the exact same strategy that OKC used in the 2013 playoffs. Dwight is always going to be near the rim so his man will be down there too but we have to have a legitmate threat at the PF spot to pull that second big man out of the paint. Otherwise, we'll see the same thing next year too. It doesn't really matter who we play, if Harden has to go 1 on 3 to score then he's not going to be effective.

18. romain

romain Member

A superstar-designate. He's still young, isn't he?

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Harden was schemed out of the picture. It was a beautiful triangle formed behind Matthews at all times. The Rockets didn't counter with either scheme or players (there was no player they could run at the 4 to open things up).

The team is gonna have to have some different ideas about how to use Harden -- even without a stretch 4 -- because teams are going to resort to the same zone/help scheme every post season.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member