1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: Allstar or Superstar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Antec, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Harden (as of right now): Allstar or Superstar?

1. Allstar

253 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Superstar

209 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. champstocome

champstocome Member

harden is only 24. He doesn't have enough accolades to really be a superstar but competes and perform at the level of some of the best. He is on a path and it has a beard as well.

2. Antec

Antec Member

Read my post right above yours. Compare the numbers.

Gilbert Arenas early in his career was VERY VERY GOOD.

3. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Heh, nice stat nitpicking. Harden is on pace to take a streaming dump on Arenas' career. Compare age 24.

4. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

I just saw that, I will stand here and eat crow. You are right numbers are very similar

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

This is what was said about his 2012-2013 season when he was ranked #4 overall player in the NBA by ESPN last October:

"Last season, Harden became the fourth different player in NBA history to average at least 25 points, 5.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game at the age of 23 or younger. The only younger players to do so are LeBron James, Michael Jordan and Oscar Robertson."
    -- ESPN Stats & Information

And if Harden "emerges" as he put it at the end of the last season, then he could be Hall of Fame level of greatness.

“I have to emerge,” Harden said. “I have to grow and take another step. It’s a matter of will and focusing on that end as well. Focus is a major part of the game. Talent-wise, I’m there, but just focusing on the majority of the game (needs to improve)....I have a lot of time now to work on both sides of my game. This summer is going to be key for me.”
    Chron.com May '14

I would be more surprised if Harden doesn't end up one of the NBA's G.O.A.T.s more so than if he does. Play off performance and D. Once he has those, he's there.

6. fattz

fattz Member

I think Morey should IF and ONLY IF he can get the right return.

7. Antec

Antec Member

How is this stat nitpicking? These are the most COMMONLY and OFTEN used stats when comparing players...Points, Assist, Rebounds, Free Throws, Field Goal %, and 3 Point %

PPG:
    APG:
    RPG:
    FTA:
    FT%:
    FG%:
    3PT%:

8. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Lol just noticed he compared Arenas' 24 to Harden's 23. Not even worth replying to.

9. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Allstar. One way player. Needs a defensive point guard to make up for his deficiencies. First round bomb 2 playoffs in a row.

10. fattz

fattz Member

If the trade to get him could be unwound... I think I would take Martin, Lamb, & Adams

11. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

I voted superstar. I feel as if to many of yalls definition of a superstar is unattainable. A superstar can still have flaws, no player is perfect. When you are doing things to put your name in record books next to the greats as far as statistical achievements go for guards/ wings then you're a superstar or at the very least pretty darn close. Some of y'all just want to much.

12. Antec

Antec Member

WTF are you talking about?

Arenas:
    [​IMG]

vs.

Harden:
    [​IMG]

13. LiveEatSleepRox

At this moment in time, he's definitely a superstar by being the best SG in the league. Yes he's missing the defensive effort, but I distinctively remember the days when A.I was hailed the best player in the league with below average defense. The similarity is that they both had/have the offensive power of an entire team in one person which can take control of any game.
    (Note: A.I played the passing lanes amazingly, but also gambled too much which caused him to lose position, that small body of his didn't help against the bigger PGs either)

Back to Harden:
    Considering the amount of experience he's had in the playoffs I want to give Harden a semi-pass on this horrendous post-season we saw against Portland. But that's definitely changing THIS coming season, no more excuses really. My vote could change depending what happens next year!

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Is James Harden the best SG in the game? Yes.
    How the **** is he not a superstar? He might not be a superstar by standards one decade ago, but he is now.

15. deshen

deshen Member

Howard is the superstar on this team, Harden could be another if he improves his playoffs performance.

16. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

All star. Superstar means you are still elite in the playoffs. Harden tends to disappear then. He's a superstar during reg season, but in the playoffs he is: ______________?

17. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

AI was a beast in the playoffs that took his team to the Finals. His defense can't be criticized here...

18. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

All-star. Till he gives a crap on defense.

19. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

Name someone else, at the age of 24, who is doing what harden is doing! Can you? I can't think of any! So, when you say for right price, I will counter with, there isn't a right price for that scenario

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He is a top 10 player in the league (arguably top 5), which in my mind makes him a superstar.

If we go with the term superstar just meaning the best player and compare off of them, then there are only 2: Durant and Lebron, everyone else is 2nd tier (no matter what advance stat you look at these 2 are WAY better than everyone else).

Harden needs to work on his defense, and if he gets that to just an average level, he'll be unquestionably a top 5 player.