1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Ennis vs Luxury Tax Savings stats in the 2nd round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 3, 2019.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Shumpert hasn't done anything to show he's worth a roster spot. He hasn't even done the things you could do on a team that doesn't fit your style.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Wasn’t it obvious to everyone except the Tillman only fans that it was luxury tax savings to give away a first rounder? @Carl Herrera and I have been echoing it for months..

bmelo likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You guys really have. If you could stop echoing that we straight up traded a first round pick for Shumpert, that would be great.

Jettisoning Knight, Chriss, and Ennis was one of the ways we got your lord and savior House on the team. Not to mention Rivers, and Faried.

We went from 14th seed in the West to a top Western conference contender again and you guys went silent about Tilman.

Now we've lost two games and it's all back, and undeniable. This is going to be an FUN offseason on Clutchfans if this is already the playoff discussion.

You guys have still never proven who you would've elected to go into lux tax for. And the anti-Tilman bros never seem to have much to say about the failed Memphis/Miami trade and what that means about Tilman's cheapness.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

The Rockets going from the 14th seed to top 4 had nothing to do with Tilman. That was all James Harden and his historic play.

5. jowman

jowman Member

ennis wouldve won us those games over shump and house lol. close games, his points wouldve helped.

6. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

if memory serves me well, most of fans on this board complain about Ennis constantly before he left.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Perhaps we should enumerate all of the things that are and are not Tilman's fault, so we can't keep cherry picking.

Is it Tilman's fault that:
    • we overpaid on CP3
    • and Capela?
    • Signed Melo?
    • signed Rivers
    • and Faried?
    • Didn't offer House a big contract?
    • Resigned House?
    • fell to the fourth seed?
    • we're facing the Warriors in the second round?
    • the bench has disappeared in the playoffs?
    • the refs didn't call fouls in game 1?
    • we're in an 0-2 series hole?
    • we traded Anderson for Knight and Chriss?
    • we traded Knight and Chriss and a first for Shumpert?

There's still a series going on and I don't think it's time for this post-mortem "it's Tilman's fault" conversation... again, which people were very quiet about post All-Star break. Everything always has to be someone's fault. Why can't our current situation be a combination of Capela, D'Antoni, Faried, Shumpert, Tilman, Miami, Grizzlies, Durant, Green, Harden, and refs?

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ennis was unplayable here

Blurr#7 likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Luxury Tax Savings is the X-factor and the key to a championship formula.

smp likes this.
  10. smp

smp Member

Sarcasm on:

Hold on. You aren't getting it. You want to spend into the tax when CP3 is another year or two older. Not right now. Isnt it obvious? Of course you dont want to spend into the luxury tax the year Harden played a historic season, CP3 is healthy, and you are following up on a playoff series that took the champs to 7 games. Don't worry. Tilman will spend later.

Sarcasm off:

Yeah- whatever. I'll believe it when I see it. Apparently the spending strategy makes perfect sense to Tilman only Fans. It doesn't make sense to me. The only possible thing I can think of is that Tilman doesn't believe in this team and he's waiting until he does before he will spend into the luxury tax. I think the truth is that he's waiting to see if KD leaves GS or not.

My prediction is that if GS stays together, Tilman will not spend into the tax. Let's see what happens.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The All 3-character names team:

PG: CP3
    SG: EGo
    SF: MCW
    PF: LTS (got to be 6'8)
    C: DMo

Coach: MDA

12. dwhite

dwhite Member

You are 100% correct....Shumpert will come up big for us next year when he is on another team and has to guard Harden. We will finally see some dividends for losing our first round pick on this useless no defense (no offense) scrub.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was excited about getting Ennis originally because I remembered seeing him play good defense during one game on Harden earlier in the season we got him, not an easy cover. Harden went 4-20 in an overtime game we won. After he had been with us awhile, it sunk in that that had been one game. I felt like a chump and wondered if Morey saw the same game I did and then felt as foolish as I felt. Then I realized that he must have had reams of analytics on the guy. I guess analytics can fail as badly as an eye test of a player in one game. For a moment, I was Daryl’s equal!

Not! ;-)

14. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Shamp is Joe Johnson

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The last time Morey picked up a legitimate difference maker at the deadline was Lou Williams. It cost the Rockets last year and probably will this year. Compare that with Portland this year. Hood and Kanter have been really good.

bmelo and Little Bit like this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we spent the LT this year it should've been to keep ariza. $15M/1yr isn't even that bad since its only 1 year of tax. he might've taken a slight discount to stay ($12M?)

ariza instead of Melo, Ennis, MCW, house, green or whoever else got minutes on the wing this year would've made up 4 games easily. we'd be the #1 seed again. we'd face the warriors in the WCF with home court again.

moreover, ariza getting minutes instead of house, shumpert, green, and nene...plus having homecourt... would've made up 4 points in game 1 and 6 points in game 2. we'd be up 2-0 even with the refs cheating. whatever the tax cost of that ariza contract would be, that's the cost of the championship.

Jake Tower and TheFreak like this.
  17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Luxury Tax Savings is a year away from being a year away. Classic Morey.

18. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

D’angelo Russell did take a huge hit though

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

20. igotwhipscollectingdust

Rockets system kinda sucks . I don’t really blame the guys that don’t fit in.