1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Ennis signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. mockster

mockster Member

So the offensive capabilities of Mbah [If not better] and the defensive capabilities of both.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Sino rocketfan

Starter:
    CP3
    Harden
    Ennis
    Anthony
    Capela

Six man :
    Gordon

Bench player:
    Tucker
    Knight/MCW
    Green
    Nene/Chriss

Vipers guy:
    ZhouQi/Hartenstein(Maybe rotation next year?I don't know)
    Vincent Edwards
    Bruno Caboclo
    Rob Gray

Luckily we don't have Onuaku anymore!

3. onreego

onreego Member

That was a great read. I'm excited to see him in action.

True Rocket likes this.
  4. jogo

jogo Member

I like the confidence. He's not intimidated.
    From the article:

"can defeat the Warriors in a seven game series?

Ennis: Yes we can. A lot of power. A lot of offensive power. A lot of defensive power. Bringing in Carmelo who is an offensive threat. Michael Carter Williams is a good guard, he can score the ball, his length. If everyone is healthy, we’ll definitely beat them."

"They’re a good team." I like this, sort of a little shade. They're a good team but we're not in awe of them.

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  5. PatBev

PatBev Member

I said when we signed him that he was gonna have a bigger impact than Ariza. Can shoot the three decently, younger, quicker, probably the same defensive impact as Ariza, can dribble, drive, and overall more versatile.

I think he should start over Tucker. Teams like GS I'm not worried about CP3/Harden/Melo/Ennis/Capella playing much defense. GS will have 2-3 allstars on the court at all times while resting players. We need that defense when we start putting the bench guys in who cant score like our starters or have the same kind of ball movement.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There's no way PJ Tucker loses his starting role in camp.

As arguably our best defender, the guy shot
    • 47% threes for 17 playoff games, making 2 per game
    • 50% threes in 12 games against the two best playoff defenses last year (Utah and GSW)
    • 48% threes in 7 games vs Warriors
    • In the regular season, we only lost one game with him once he became the starter (23-1), until we secured HCA.
    There is not one thing Ennis can do better, until he proves it on the court in real Games, using that chip he has on his shoulder. However, Ennis might start over Melo, if key-minds can convince Melo to join EGo to run with the bench group.

Nothing Ennis does in pre-season will dislodge PJ from his well-deserved, starting role.

#506 heypartner, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    IvanLCPM, Deuce, Vivi and 7 others like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd rather just rest pj and save him for the playoffs. let melo start at the 4 and get worn out, he can't be effective in the postseason anyways :D

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Yo this is what I like to hear. I like his confidence.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This just gave me a good giggle

10. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

@quaczar confirmed either Daryl or Rockets staff
    You set up an account and just post the article
    Sup with that?!!

Vivi, heypartner and hakeem94 like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I think you may be onto something

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Also important to note, he was not this good when he was spending more time at SF. He was clearly more effective guarding 4's. I've not looked up stats on this, but it definitely looked that way.

Which means for Melo to start, we would plug his mediocre defense at the 4 and a diminished Tucker at the 3, while Harden is not the best defender in the world. I don't anticipate that group defending well, and that's a very very unathletic team, despite its offensive potential. I'm not sure you even need Melo's offense with Harden/CP3 on the floor, Capela rolling and 2 dead eye shooters in the corners.

I think there's a small chance we move Harden to the 3 and start Gordon at the 2 though. MDA loves to shock you with the smallness of his lineup and there's no chance Harden is worse at defending bigger guys.

hakeem94 and joshuaao like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Melo can still play his natural position the 3 in limited time.

#513 daywalker02, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

Also new member but member since 2012??!!!
    And only 4 posts which is basically the article

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps someones double account prepared for risky purposes such as posting copyrighted articles...either that or this is morey himself since @Batman Jones mentioned morey never posted on cf

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Hrmm....

per 82 games,
    PJ Tucker opponent production
    @SF position: eFG% 47%, PER 11.5 PPG/48 19.3
    @PF position: eFG% 57% PER 18.0 PPG/48 21.8

Net/48
    SF: +10/7
    PF: +9.3

He was good at either spot, seems better defensively at the SF spot by those stats. And his offensive numbers were a bit better at the SF spot too.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes but I'm not talking about limited time skills.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Except his SF minutes are against opponents second units, and offensively not with Harden on the floor.

Can you put up the link? Would love to take a look, don't know where to find it.

19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

i am glad they promised him at least 25 mins or a starting role.

Ennis is the most similar player on our current roster to Trev and Luc. He is younger, finishes better at the rim, a comparable 3 point shooter, and brings length heart and tenacity on the defensive end.

if we had a formula that worked all year and in the wcf why change from a defensive first philosophy at the 3?

Melo reportedly said that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Let Ennis do the heavy lifting with the starters. Melo would have easier defensive assignments and we can help preserve his legs for his offense. I think Melo would feast even more as a 4 at this stage of his career, and is no where near the defensive liability he would be chasing starting wings, or getting isolated by premier guards on switches.

i think Ennis is the type of glue guy we need. I would hope for at least 26 minutes per game, and we play around with EG, or Harden at the backup 3 along with PJ and GG depending on match ups.

until we trade for another 3 and D wing Ennnis and PJ are all we have, and PJ is aging. Ennis just fits the mold, and should be able to fill the void we had left after Trev and Luc departed.

i too have been miffed that he never gets mentioned. I hope this adds weight to that chip he has on his shoulder.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

I feel like we are one more gritty wing defender from beating the Warriors, just ONE damnit.

Relativist likes this.