1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Ennis signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Good signing. It'll keep everyone from hyperventilating.

RyanB and Nook like this.
  2. mockster

mockster Member

On the real though good pickup, the guy is way more athletic then Ariza and has better vision, ball handling n etc I think he can take over the spot up shooter role but also gives more versatility like Luc gave.

I remember he was being hyped on heat for a while as an upcoming guy and although he’s still good he kinda fell off a bit. Hoping he can have a fresh start here and really contribute

#182 mockster, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    rockets1995 likes this.
  3. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I think it does and here's why, Tucker now can move back to the bench which greatly strengthens our second unit.

Melo/Tucker
    Ennis/Green

raining threes likes this.
  4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

There is a reason for this guy to play 5 teams in 4 years and only getting a minimum contract when he is 28 years old.

Ericonomist and MarioKissoDeath like this.
  5. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

You could have said the same thing about Luc

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's never gonna to happen.

Pretty amazing to find someone who watched the playoffs that thinks it is a good idea to replace the one guy that can help the helper. You would also take out the only guy that can dig out rebounds and boxouts on late rotations after Clint's initial help. (Also our most reliable corner three point shooter) Basically, you would be removing Clint's bodyguard that allows he and James to be as great as they are, and instead you add a non-defensive chucker to muck-up our elite starting lineup.

Truly a disastrous idea.

Hakeemtheking, Richie_Rich and RyanB like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm very surprised that Morey got him for the minimum, and agree with your take that he'll be pushing himself to earn a much better deal next summer. Great signing! We need more, a lot more, but it's a clear move in the right direction, in my opinion.

raining threes likes this.
  8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

from his last team, the Pistons reddit

StunStorm[S] 7 points 2 hours ago

Good pickup for them. I hope they get another SF though cause he isn't starting caliber.

King-Kunta24 5 points an hour ago

I mean I guess he’s a poor mans Ariza? A very poor mans Ariza lol

YROK1986 1 point an hour ago

Seemed like a good guy in his short time here. I hope he does well in that system and I wish him all the best.

don grahamleone, DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  9. broteinshake

broteinshake Member

Now that we have Ennis to fill in the hole left by Ariza/Luc, if we retain Clint Capela - would some of ya'll be okay with Melo joining us now?

10. Nook

Nook Member

You mean the same organization that traded for Blake Griffin? Have destroyed their cap situation, didn’t have a first round pick and can’t sniff the playoffs?

Also the Rockets play a completely different style.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

12. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Lmao, why would it matter that Tucker comes off the bench, playing nearly the same amount of minutes, hit the same corner 3s, and offer that same help? Wouldn't he be even more valuable by being able to help out without Capela on the floor and by anchoring that second unit? Could he also not back up Capela at center when we go small for stretches? Which was exactly what happened for 50 GAMES last season before Ryno got hurt and never returned to the lineup the same? Smh...

IF Tucker starts next year, he'll be changing positions. Melo will NOT be coming off the bench for him, he's a borderline HOFer. Tucker won't be in any HOF discussions when his career is over. And I'm a big Tucker fan btw.

Melo will also NOT be our next starting small forward, he had enough trouble guarding power forwards last year. He would never be able to stay in front of Tatum, Kawhi, Kuzma, George, etc. Ennis or even Tucker have a MUCH better chance of defending those players.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On a minimum, expiring contract, which is actually quite valuable.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ahh forget that.

The more interesting topic on that page is about Kevin Durant arguing with a high schooler on Twitter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOL...what a cupcake!

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The player option is brutal here and shows we are in win now.

If he has a bad year he’s opting in and it costs the team a lot in taxes

If he has a plus year then he opts out and we either lose him or use he mle to keep him

kjayp likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

And PJ Tucker. And Green.

The name of the game is finding players who are undervalued by the rest of the league but will outperform that value profile significantly in the Rockets system. Once that happens they become overvalued (Ariza) and move on and have to be replaced with another undervalued guy. This is moneyball taken to an extreme and it is brilliant.

18. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Kind of hoping he's the defensive version of Green. Bring the energy and the rest will follow

DonKnock likes this.
  19. anchel

anchel Member

Ariza defended a lot of SGs, even PGs. It remains to be seen what MCW and Melton can contribute. Watch out with MCW. He comes from an horrible season, but he's talented man, he was rookie of the year. And he REALLY is a very very good defender (not like Ennis) who can defend both guard positions. He could end being the underrated signing.

20. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

What's all the hypes and shoutings about this signing? He's at best a replacement for Luc as a backup behind Melo if we sign him.

Ennis is not some highly converted FA or the next all Star player.

This is a good good signing given our situation, but don't make it more then it is.

kjayp and D-rock like this.