1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jamaica Beach

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dubious, May 2, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

The beach is the beach.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

4. Dubious

If you didn't think Galveston was an overcrowded cesspool before you should look at the videos and read the police reports from this weekend. I saw two traffic accidents just on my way home from Home Depot, one car stranded on the median over Offatts Bayou and a wicked rear-ender on the seawall. Driving back to Houston at 8 on Saturday night even Stewart Road was gridlocked for miles.

For the love of all that is holy , stay away.

https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_e4c9272b-5f89-52ab-9d1a-ae1fff3b4aad.html

https://www.khou.com/article/news/c...wall/285-1f397dff-9b03-4bad-a8e6-1bf9b2fa37fe

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Heard it was bad coming out of Surfside, too.

6. Dubious

It's just 31/2 hours to the beaches off Corpus vs. 1 1/2 to Galveston but 1000 times better

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

For you it’s 1.5 hours/3.5 hours. For me it’s .5 hours vs 3.5 hours. With small children it’s a no-brainer to go to Galveston. It’s a day trip vs staying the night.

We had a beach house way past Jamaica Beach with a ‘private’ entrance (footpath) Wednesday pm through Saturday am this week. It was awesome. Before 11 we were the only people on the beach. The surf was good enough for me to catch some waves. The only downside was the Atlantic Nettle jellyfish but their occasional stings were weak and wore off within a minute. I got stung on the side of the face and neck but it was just a funny story to tell my kids. Neighborhood was nice with mostly single owners there that I got to know.

One other thing about Galveston that trumps CC, imo, is the locally owned restaurants, bars and night life (Just stay away from Landry’s stuff) It’s laid back, inexpensive and charming.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats a really slow chopper.

9. Xerobull

My wife really screwed this present up for me at Xmas. But what can you do? Grin and use it. At least I was able to hang out at Woodys with the angry fat white boomer biker dudes.

[​IMG]

#49 Xerobull, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  10. Dubious

[QUOTE="Xerobull, post: 12972842, member: 12692"

We had a beach house way past Jamaica Beach with a ‘private’ entrance (footpath) Wednesday pm through Saturday am this week. It was awesome. .[/QUOTE]

If you didn't notice, Jamaica Beach really ratcheted up the police presence last weekend. As usual for the Summer months, the 'on beach' parking was limited to between the bollards. But new for us, they were turning cars away when the parking reached capacity and they were not allowing a double row of parking on the dune side. This kept the numbers down for the first time since lockdown.

I suspect that the unofficial "Kappa Weekend" had something to do with our show of force (in town was insane with traffic and shootings). Or it may have been in response to a 3 hour town hall meeting the city held the previous Monday when every speaker but one supported a pedestrian only beach (an option allowed by the GLO, but also bans golf carts).

I'm glad you enjoyed it though, it was better.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

So is Surfside generally less busy than Galveston?

12. Xerobull

It is but the roads there are way smaller so the congestion in and out is just as bad. And you get the hillbilly set there, much like Crystal Beach.

13. Dubious

I was in Jamaica beach yesterday. I was surprised at the effect of the storm surge. Half the dunes are gone, all the grass and plants are yellow, debris everywhere, it was muddy and smelly and the mosquito were vicious

Xerobull likes this.