1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Rose thinks Dwight Howard will join the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

On offsensive shot selection and ability I agree, smith wouldn't be much upgrade over Asik. But Asik can't guard 3's and I'd rather have more defensive versatility than have it all wrapped up in the 5 spot and in the paint.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Don't look at it like that.

Rather, like this: Is Josh Smith an upgrade over Jones/Motiejunas/Greg Smith?
    Is Dwight Howard an upgrade over Asik?

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

That's not entirely accurate. While from outside of 9 ft up to 23 ft, both sorta suck, JSmith actually has a 3 pt shot. His season average from 3 pt range is above 30%, which isn't great, but I mean, it is noticeably better than DMo's, so not sure why DMo is considered to stretch the floor and Smith isn't. Furthermore, JSmith actually shoots 38% from the 3 pt range from the right wing! Obviously Howard cannot do any of these things.

Not sure why you're comparing Smith to Howard though -- my hypo was comparing Asik to Howard. I'm going to pretend then you meant Asik instead of Howard (because in both hypos, Howard remains). Thankfully, same argument applies to Asik.

The point was having Asik is slightly redundant when you already have Dwight locking down the paint. Sure, he is a solid backup and could defend the paint WITH Howard, but I think it would be more beneficial to have JSmith instead of Asik as JSmith could defend in the post AND be a well above average perimeter defender, something we need if Parsons does not step it back up on this end. Smith's ability to play the 3 and 4 offers us some versatility as well. Asik/Howard by themselves...not really. Could Asik and Howard work? Sure, but Smith and Howard are much more likely to work and cover more of our gaping holes rather than just add up on where we're already not too weak, hypothetically speaking.

And as I pointed out earlier, of course JSmith stretches the floor our more than Asik or Howard might. He can also run the fast break WAY better than Asik or even Howard can. He's an above the rim player that is as athletic as they come, and he can past out of the post or drive and kick, which also fits our system super well.

Does Smith take a lot of dumb shots on offense? Sure, but that is because he's the number 1 option on the Hawks. He'll be like #3 or something on our team (on offense). Guaranteed he gets WAY fewer touches as a Rocket than he did as a Hawk. That in and of itself cuts down on bone-headed players. Besides, his real benefit, much like Asik's, is on the defensive end.

4. pwnyxpress

Yes and yes. I'm confused as to what that was supposed to accomplish lol. The comparison we're making here is:

Smith/Howard vs. Asik/Howard

I'm willing to give the latter a shot, it could work, but I am MUCH more confident that the former is better/will work.

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

The poster I was responding to was stating that Josh Smith wasn't an upgrade over Asik. That isn't the way to be looking at it, is what I was trying to say. Compare the fours to the fours and the fives to the fives.

I agree with you.

6. pwnyxpress

Gotcha, that makes sense.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think you misunderstood my thought. I wasn't trying to say smith wasn't an upgrade over Asik. Quite the contrary, I'd rather see a Howard/smith frontcourt than a Howard/Asik frontcourt. The reason being is that both Howard and Asik are centers and though you might be able to play one or the other at times at the 4 you're essentially putting all your defensive "eggs" into the 5 or maybe even 4 "basket". Smith gives you the ability to defend well out to the 3 position as well. Howard/smith is more versatile.

8. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

asik=less money and easier to get

9. Raven

Raven Member

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A brutal wait, this shall be...

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Josh smith isn't that bad a shooter on the offensive flow shots, he just takes step backs, fade aways etc, when he should only really be allowed to do step in catch and shoots.

Josh Smith is what happens when an average shooter has horrible shot selection, he has Kobe's shot selection and none of Kobe's shooting talent.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Your overhyping Kobe. #8 Lakers FG attempts per game is 20, the next Laker on the list is Gasol with 11 attempts. The so-called chucker shoots 15 attempts in a game, a lot?!?!?! The next on the list is Horford shoots 14 attempts, Teague 12 and L.Williams 11. JSmoove's FG% is 46% this past season, same as Kobe. Career-wise, our resident chucker has a slightly better FG% than our HOF shooting talent. This season, Hawks #5 shot a pathetic 30% 3 point FG while Kobe shot at an amazing 33% from 3 point line. I'd take Kobe over JSmoove any day, but I would not take a pass on Josh Smith as a HOF chucker.