1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Rose thinks Dwight Howard will join the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Forget about CP3 and that is unrealistic, period.

CP3 and Dwight sounds good but how much does CP3 wants to come here? Houston already has a team setted up ready. Lin is only in his 3rd year in the NBA and he has ton of space to improve and Asik too with that athleticism.

Bring on Howard!!!

2. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Agreed. People say that we won't get CP3, but I disagree. Dwight Howard (if acquired) will be the main domino that falls and either CP3 or J-Smoove will join him in Houston. Who wouldn't want to team up with him, Harden, and possibly Parsons if he is still in Rocket Red, after acquiring one of those two players via S&T? Sure, I don't have the financial numbers in front of me, on how it would work against the cap, but I'm sure Morey will figure that out all in good time.

Nothing against O.Asik, I absolutely like what he did for us this past season, but when you have an opportunity to land two big marquee names in FA, 9 times out of 10, you don't pass that chance up, no matter how their behaviors are, what has happened in the past.

I mean, I was at a job for many many years that I was content with but not totally happy with, as in the back of my mind, I wanted to go to a place in a better situation, overall. After viewing my options, I am finally at a new workplace that the people highly compliment me for my good work, and give me more responsibility in developing me into something special for the company. I know the NBA and a job may not be comparable on the same level, but I'm sure Dwight Howard would want to be put in a better situation, no matter how BIG or BRIGHT the lights shine in L.A. Hollywood will ALWAYS be there, being part of a highly upside potential team that most likely will contend for the next 5-10 years, just needing one or two more major pieces for that to happen, you don't pass that up. Sure, it may not be the most popular choice, from a major network point of view, but one should go where it makes them happy most and I believe Dwight Howard will be most happy in a Houston Rockets uniform for the long-term. Also, I don't think its too far-fetched that Chris Paul may follow suit as well, to join his buddy in H-Town. Him and Howard can establish their own Lob City here. The only thing that could make that happen is if CP3 is truly unhappy, on when that story leaked out that made him angry with the Clippers. Maybe Harden & Howard can talk into one of CP3's ears, and he will buckle and want to join us, thus forcing the Clippers into a S&T. I mean, I am SURE the Clippers would rather get something rather than NOTHING for him. Thus, the trade of Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin, Thomas Robinson and a Future 2nd Round pick should be PLENTY! :cool:

*Fingers Crossed* Hopefully when my Birthday comes around (July 1st) the Rockets will have a verbal agreement with Dwight Howard and maybe Chris Paul a week from then after Dwight is signed or possibly at the same time, we'll see what happens! It would be such an AWESOME Birthday Present! D-12 AND CP3 to Houston! :)

In Morey I Trust! :)

3. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

WOW. Seems exciting for you in the next couple months. I am too. I can't wait for the new season to start so I can watch this team actually play already. Dwight? Heck yeah!!

It hasn't been that exciting since Yao and Tracy Era and now Houston holds its own destiny again.

But speaking of CP3, I'd rather have Lin + Asik. Lin is young and so is Asik. If Lin can learn to play off guard a little and sliding CP3 to point, That would work. But I don't want to see Houston turns over the entire roster to add a superstar, period.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Jesus H., guys, we ain't getting CP3 and DH12. We'd have to gut the entire team. And why would either LA team cooperate in trading us the second of the two, accepting our dregs as trade bait?

If I may quote the coach from the Friday Night Lights movie, "I love enthusiasm but my goodness."

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not super excited about Dwight coming to Houston, but I'd be pretty surprised at this point if Dwight doesn't come to Houston. It just make too much sense for him to join the Rockets. The Lakers are a damn mess, who would want to be a part of that? The Lakers may let Dwight name who he wants to be the Head Coach, but the Lakers would still be a mess. Dwight can have a fresh start on a good team and a have a bunch of cool teammates with Houston.

I'm in the camp of wanting to keep Asik. Two superstars is plenty and the Rockets can surround them with solid players. I think it is critical to keep Asik, I think that Chicago would love to still have him on their team. Asik only averaged 30 minutes a game last year, Howard averaged 35 minutes. Next season I'd like to see Howard play about 32 minutes a game and Asik about 27 minutes a game. I would love to see what the rockets could do with a Defensive stud in the middle for 48 minutes a game. I see no reason why Asik and Howard can't play 10 or 12 minutes together each night. Dwight can play Power Foward with Asik at Center. Asik and Greg Smith played together at times last season, so I'm sure Asik and Dwight would work also.

6. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I completely agree, but no one saw a 4 team deal (how often do those happen in this league) that not only dodged the best package, but also involved a superstar and 2-all stars (one with no knees)?

7. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

cuz...

8. VBG

VBG Member

Jalen was the one who said Harden would be traded before the season when most people thought Harden was staying. He definitely has good connections.

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

Yes, but I dont think he ever said Harden would go to Houston specifically.

My biggest fear though is Howard being guilt tripped by kobe and Laker nation and at the last second decides to stay in LA.

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Nice dream. I agree with you about the domino effect. If Dwight lands in Houston, CP3 would most definitely want to join him.

Where you plans fall short. First of all, Thomas Robinson + T-Jones or D-Mo (I doubt we can off-load White) will have to be traded just to make enough room for Dwight's superman.

After we land Dwight, the only way to get Paul is a S&T. The only pieces we have left to match Paul's $18.7m are Lin and Asik ($16.7m). We cannot force Clippers to do anything! Paul has nowhere to go, he doesn't want to go to Atlanta or Dallas and play alone with Horford or Dirk. It's Houston with Dwight or stay in LA. Sterling ( Clippers owner) knows this and will just say NO to a trade. Clips have Bledsoe and Jordan, no need for Lin and Asik.

Besides that, I don't think giving up Lin and Asik for a 2nd ball dominant guard is worth it. I think the better option is Asik for J.Smith. At least that fills the need at PF. But to be honest, I think Asik is too valuable and the Rockets will at least give the twin towers until the trade deadline to work.

11. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

I'm not sure if this is doable but could we get public commitments from both dwight and paul and then maybe have both Lakers and Clippers outbid each other for a sign and trade? i dont think either team would want to lose their player outright so maybe both will be open to a sign and trade. Of course it could be dangers to get the commitment without the name on the dotted line (carlos boozer) but just a thought.

12. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Tony Parker > Stephen Curry > CP3

13. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Conversation between Clips and Lakers after Rocket's ultimatum.

Clips: we can re-sign Bledsoe. Don't really care. Screw 'em

Lakers: if he walks it'll save us $85m in luxury taxes. Don't care either. Screw 'em

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Possible, but not likely.

15. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

lets hope your right Jalen

16. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

While CP3/Dwight/Harden could be the next big 3 I'm not so sure that you want that. I think you will all agree with me that both Bosh and Wade skill set has not been fully utilised and as such their value is lowered and not worth the contract on their team as currently constructed.

If you put CP3 alongside Harden what you have is an overlap of skillset similar to Wade and Lebron. Both CP3 and Harden are #1 options, can handle the ball, pick and roll, dribble into the paint, draw fouls but there is only 1 ball, so while CP3 might be good from a talent perspective, it isn't efficient financially ($$ vs production). Once you add CP3, all of a sudden Harden is no longer severely outplaying his contract. It's what we saw with Lin this season, he wasn't the go to guy or even the primary ball handler.

So what you get with CP3 is your current #1 option being marginalised OR CP3 being marginalised both not completely playing to their strengths and you still have a gap at your PF position.

If we make it a numbers game rating talent used on the court it might look something like this (using PER from 2012-2013 season [http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Efficiency.jsp] and estimating PER for 2013-2014):

PER last season (2012-2013):

Lin (14.7)
    Harden (24)
    Parsons (16.9)
    Jones (7.7)
    Asik (17.2)

CP3 (23.8)
    Dwight (22.2)

Projected PER (2013-2014 Season) based on overlapping skillsets:

CP3 (21 - Dropped due to overlap with Harden)
    Harden (22 - Dropped due to overlap with CP3)
    Parsons (16.9)
    Jones (7.7)
    Dwight (22.2)
    Total: 89.9

vs

Lin (14.7)
    Harden (24)
    Parsons (16.9)
    Dwight (20 - - Dropped due to overlap with Asik)
    Asik (15 - Dropped due to overlap with Dwight)
    Total: 90.6

vs

Lin (14.7)
    Harden (24)
    Parsons (16.9)
    J. Smith (19.8)
    Dwight (22.2)
    Total: 97.6

Yes, these are estimates, but SURELY this is something that Morey & his staff have taken a serious look at. So my preference would be getting Dwight & J.Smith then if that can't happen, Dwight with Asik (especially since having a defensive Center the full 48mins would be epic) are my preferences over getting CP3. This also doesn't account for the growth that Lin could have this offseason which could reduce the gap between him and CP3, especially if he can develop a better 3pt shot.

1 more thing to consider is the longer term. If you get Dwight and keep Asik, you have 2 years (I think this was mentioned in a recent #Rocketscast live. If you trade Asik for J.Smith, you have him for 4 years. Unless the Dwight/Asik combo turns out to be epic, I see Asik walking to another team after his contract ends as Morey probably won't be willing to pay him the $12-$14 million he is going to be offered. So really what I am saying is, Dwight/Josh Smith should be the #1 option this offseason.

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Quit trolling.

18. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

This! Thank you!

19. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Why is everyone so high on Josh Smith? Is Rockets going to overpay him? I doubt it. I'd rather have Asik on 4.

20. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BHqgHFcmAOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>