1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Rose: "the term superstar for Dwight Howard, those days are past"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Feb 9, 2015.

1. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Dwight is a star, his numbers are still solid, which the TNT crew always argue about, but since we've seen what he's capable of, he's not playing up to par, and is not a superstar.

He is however, a star.

2. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I wasn't up about injured Dwight, but I'm still pumped overall about having him/getting him back. I remember the Blazers series, and he's seriously the only player who kept showing up. HE was beasting, and sadly Harden, Parsons, Lin etc didn't really show. They each may have had 1 good game (at most...ugh, Lin had a few good "minutes"...), but he's still not to be f'd with and people will realize that once his knee is back in game-shape.

Now maybe it can't get back, time will tell... but I swear...if he would just stop forcing a post-game then we'd be so much better. I like giving him the ball a lot at first to establish the post and get some inside points early, but once its not working/stops working, go to what does.

3. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

He's right, but we don't need D12 to be a superstar anymore. just rebound and defend.
    We have our Superstar in number 13.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

Dwight is a star on defense and not a star on offense. So overall, he's a good player -- not great. It's what TNT and others have been saying since last year.

5. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Good, if Dwight is man enough, he would prove Jalen wrong.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed. It's endorsements, personality, marketability, etc that separate a star from a superstar. Not purely numbers.

Dwight has been that before. Not saying he is now... but again, to say an injured player isn't a superstar is pretty bland. Maybe we give him another chance instead of all trying to be the first person to say "I told you so".

7. dream2franchise

I love that the highlights package shows a bunch of seven footers flopping around once Dwight makes contact...but he gets called soft.

I flat out don't think charges should be called under or around the rim. Get your hands up! Play some D.

8. lalala902102001

If Dwight ever regains his health he can still be a star in the league. There are very few true bigs left in the league. However, with his nagging injuries over the past few years and his age (will be 30 this year) I do have to agree with Rose that Howard's best years are behind him. People forget how dominant Dwight was in Orlando. He carried an otherwise not-so-talented team to the finals and averaged 15 rbs and 4 blocks a game in the finals. If we had that Dwight plus Harden today we'd be the favorites to win it all this year.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Dwight bout to get stupid in the playoffs. Bet that.

10. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

If he can come back in any decent shape I sure want him to stuff that down jalen's pie hole. Otherwise, dude is right.

Age always wins eh ?

11. conquistador#11

i get a kick out of people who trash him get offended by what jalen is saying. in comparison, jalen has a gentler take to what is said in the garm.

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Dwight's impact defensively is highly noticeable. He impacts the game probably more than any player outside of LeBron/Durant/Harden.

13. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

I stopped reading when I saw the name "Jalen Rose".

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

How so? I'm African-American and I've always felt that Jalen Rose had the IQ of a watermelon. However, some of my best friends are watermelons and they explained to me just how offensive they found this so now I feel that Jalen Rose has the IQ of a cantaloupe.

15. roidrage

roidrage Member

If harden is hurt I'll see you guys next year

16. Remii

Remii Member

Even if Howard gets health... The Rockets will still only have one super star.

17. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

We use superstar way too lightly. Dwight is not a superstar anymore. Unless he can return to Orlando form, he's not a superstar. There are too many big men I'd rather have over Dwight. Dwight is a star no doubt. Not a superstar.

Superstars are players that can go out there and dominate on the court. Dwight is a domineering force on defense, but his offensive game has regressed so much, that it's hard to call him a superstar anymore.

I don't blame him for it. It's hard to play at this level for so many years, receiving the kind of the punishment he has in the paint over the course of his career.

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Of course, agree with Jalen Rose here. Not a lot of centers (5?) I'd rather have than Dwight right now, but he's being paid like a superstar, which he clearly is not.

We are a flawed team right now being held up by James Harden's greatness. I do have hope he's good enough to get hot in the playoffs and carry us to the finals, but the rockets are a flawed team. We need more help.

We need another creator/facilitator. We need a real second option on offense. Josh Smith is great off the bench. Dwight Howard is ideally your third best player. A defensive star that can contribute on offense/can't create his own shot. Think Draymond Green.