1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Rose: "the term superstar for Dwight Howard, those days are past"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Feb 9, 2015.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. treeman

treeman Member

Here's a test. Dwight is out. Wee see a guy who is doing 16/11/1.4 that is a realistic trade possibility. Are we salivating over that guy or what? Of course, and not even just CF, everyone is.

This is a dumb question.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Should of chunked a brick.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Don't kill the messengers because you don't like what you're hearing. I thought those guy's takes were fair. Obviosly no one knows the future and how DH will play when he comes back, but skepticism is defintely not out of line.

The Grantland guys weren't just spewing the typical DH hate. I agreed with a lot of what they said. Especially about the game changing and leaving him behind. And even more on the point of him demanding the ball in the post when that was NOT apart of his game when he played at his best.

Kevin Durant felt the need to get off the bench while injured and express how he felt about him. Those words were his genuine feelings. And I'm no Durant apologist.

I hope DH comes back and plays well. But I'm officially off his bandwagon and I think bringing him was a mistake. I don't like his game, his demeanor, and I honestly think the guy is a joke. Now this injury stuff just makes things more bleek. But, here's to him proving me wrong.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

and the fact that Rose is harping Harden as MVP. He is right. Dwight is no longer a superstar. When fully healthy and back he needs to play a Deandre Jordan role.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

ESPN have basically constructed the whole they hate Dwight, he's always been seen as a quirky weirdo, but to suggest they hate him because he kept to himself, what the hell sort of crap is that. Seriously, they said that the reason Lebron didn't go to Houston was Dwight, does anyone really believe that him making a choice between Cleveland and Miami only had anything to do with any player on other teams?

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

That's cool, the man is injured so lets label him before he gets healthy.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Just messing with you :)

Funny how that works

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Oh, I remember how good he was. The problem is that was over a span of about 6 weeks. The rest of the year, he's either been out with injuries or playing hobbled(and uninspired). Even if he does come back and regain his 20/12/2 form from November, he'll have missed half the regular season. Can we count on him to put up those kinds of numbers for all(or most) of 2015-16? What about after that?

10. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Why are people getting so upset?

He is what he is....... and that's not a super star. A super star takes over games and can put the team on his back and win. Dwight can no longer do that.

Some might say because of the systems he has been in since Orlando, but I don't believe that. Dwights body is starting to break down ( houston fans should know better) he couldn't handle the load he used to have in Orlando.

Doesn't mean he is not a good player. He just is not a super star.

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Was Jalen Rose ever one?

1 person likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I tend to agree with them I think you have to let Dwight get healthy and see about he playoffs.

Last year against Portland he put up 26, 14, 3+ blocks with a 27 PER. That's beyond superstar. He didn't have two crazy crazy games like LMA... But Was the best big overall. Lillard and how Harden sucked is why the Rockets lost.

All that said I'm not sure Dwight putting up those numbers helps the team win as much as it should. But that's not really on Dwight as much as the NBA. Anthony Dailvis has he same problem... Crazy crazy numbers, but the Peoicans need great guard play to win. Somewhat the same with Duncan even. He needs the be a leader defensively and on the boards. Offense doesn't matter as much.

Point? It's a guard league.

If Morey has missed one thing it's perhaps that. If you "just" hav a big two I'd rather it be two amazing wing players supported by great role playing front court than vice versa.

He should have gone super hard after Lowry... But in retrospect that's easy for me to say!

1 person likes this.
  13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

This means that Morey needs to find two more elite players, since it takes three to win a championship.

14. rocketseagles07

You guys reaction when someone says something negative about the rockets is comical. But when jalen rose said ariza was the most underrated signing of the off-season he was a genius

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I mean, he's not lying.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody said he wasn't an allstar when he is healthy, but a tad injured and he slipped to 'just' being above average.

There are only 3-4 superstars in this league IMHO

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bwhahaha this is too funny. Someone please tell Morey to get some of that money back.

Come on dude , the man has to get healthy.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Jalen = guy in shirt

Dwight = Balloon

[​IMG]

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. If Dwight ends up coming back and dominating during the playoffs, not an impossibility, I hope the chump eats more than his words. My dog left something in my backyard that Rose can have for a snack. Free of charge.

1 person likes this.
  20. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I have been saying this for a while now. Dwight's game hasn't really evolved with time and with his declining athleticism, he needs to learn to adapt to the team. Yes, he's still capable of destroying average centers when healthy. Can he do the same to the elites? Not quite. But is going through him on offense a good thing? Probably not. Opposing teams can live with giving Dwight all the touches he wants because he rarely moves the ball around. If Dwight is putting up 30+ points a game, that's a bad sign for the Rockets. It means other players are not getting their touches (Harden, D-Mo, T Jones, Ariza, etc).

At this stage of his career, Dwight needs to become a Ben Wallace or Tyson Chandler type of player. Focus more on defense and less on offense. The only kind of offense he should be getting are the ally-oops and the occasional putbacks/dunks.