1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Rose: D'Antoni was clueless

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, May 26, 2016.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Steve Nash had Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley on that Dallas team. They were running a very different style offense. Nash was already a great PG, but the offense did not totally center around him.

The Mavericks were #4, #1, #1 offense teams from 01-04.

After he went to Phoenix in 2004, guess which team became #1 offense? Yep, the Suns.

2. Harden's beard

to add to this point, D'Antoni's record with the Suns before Nash joined the team was 21-40 :rolleyes:

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Please don't call me a Pringles only fan.

Does he say he is clueless in the clip? It doesn't say it in the article.

From the article he sounded like a coach who was confident in his system that was working. Why ask a coach that focuses on offense what they are doing on defense?

I know I just played myself by asking the question. I welcome the flambé

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

What does any of this have to do with the fact that D'Antoni doesn't even show the players tape of the opposition?

[​IMG]

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wNUn8zsVYIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DJEj31jwtL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

who was on the team? stop leaving the important elements out of your arguments.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

DON NELSON

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The problem is that everyone does what d'Antoni does now, but better than he did it. The game has evolved and it's questionable if he has anything new left to give to it.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its a delibrately sensationalized title by the OP, written like its a quote from Jalen's mouth. Not good to do that

THOUGH in the clip, Jalen CLEARLY has a low opinion about D'Antoni's coaching approach. He directly says D'Antoni did not prepare them to play. So its the same take-away...

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Les is now the NBA's version of Jerry Jones. The similarities in the two are stunning because they both had success early on, and now, their fanbases wish they were gone. They fail to realize their constant meddling and poor coaching decisions (as of late) is the reason why their teams will not win anything anytime now or in the future.

I must give Jerry major props for having won 3 SBs after becoming owner by making outstanding draft choices, trades, FA acquisitions, and having coach Jimmy Johnson change the culture of the team; as for Les, Charlie Thomas and Steve Patterson had the core personnel pieces already in place before Les owned the team. Les simply becoming owner is not what pushed them over the top; the Rockets were going to break down that wall and win it all those two years regardless of Les being owner or not.

But both franchises (from a legit title contender standpoint) have been irrelevant the last 20+ years. Speaking of culture change, after the disastrous season the Rockets just finished (considering their expectations and keeping most of the roster intact), culture change was exactly what this team needed. But Les will bring in D'Antoni, which will do nothing to help our defensive needs. As a Rockets fan, I am always going to support this team through thick-and-thin; however, neither Les nor MDA will not get the benefit of the doubt.

11. Harden's beard

Amare Stoudemire, Stephen Marbury, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson, Penny Hardaway, Leandro Barbosa, Antonio McDyess, etc.

That's one heck of a lineup. Basically the only difference was Marbury instead of Nash.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Everyone who read this thread ought to be scared out of their minds. That is freaking unbelievable if what Jalen said is true.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden's not a playmaking guard, he's a shooting guard who can make plays for others. At the end of the day his focus is not to run the offense, it's to score pts for the team you can see this as he always prioritizes his shots over making plays for the other guys.

The Rox have not had great precedent with Les Alexander stepping in, for example Morey wanted to tank Les wanted to be competitive which is why we had like that string of 14-15th pick in the pre-Harden era. Les Alexander stepped in and said Morey should get Lin at all costs, which is why we let Dragic go. Now, he wants the dumbass coach nobody else in their right mind would hire. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Rox just screwed themselves, who runs a massive coaching hire and settles on the overrated coaching candidate? We could've had JVG, Silas or Vogel and we go with MDA? **** me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Maybe there's a method to Les' madness.

Hire D'Antoni and his 7 seconds or less offense.

No more near 8 second backcourt walk ups for Harden.

He's force to jog up every possession which Les is banking on to make sure Harden is in game shape much sooner than last season.

Fires D'Antoni shortly after when Harden is hitting his peak fitness.

#genius

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also to be fair to D'antoni I've heard about every coach say "We have to worry about us." this is not like a new thing.

Also the whole "Let the star player go off, that's fine." mentality is nothing new. It's usually applied to perimeter players though.

I'm sure many teams go into a Rockets game and think "Who cares if Harden gets 40 if no one else scores?"

16. therox3

therox3 Member

"No matter how convinced you are of D'Antoni's revolutionary offensive thinking, you can't conclude he was solely responsible for the Suns' offensive innovation and success.

Not when Steve Nash was running top-tier attacks long before D'Antoni showed up.

NBA.com's John Schuhmann pulled together the numbers a couple of years ago when Nash's retirement began to appear imminent, and they're stunning.

Nash led the NBA's best offense for nine straight seasons from 2001-02 until 2009-10. Three of those years came with the Dallas Mavericks, and the final two came after D'Antoni left Phoenix. So if you're looking for a common denominator here, it's not the coach.

It's the transcendent point guard.
    "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ing-mike-dantoni-comes-with-curious-questions

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, Nash would say differently.

He played at a HOF level under MDA and it's not like he's the only PG to get a boost playing under him.

I mean...there was that Jeremy Lin guy who looked like an all-star and had Les seeing china $$$ again..

18. dmoneybangbang

Like ever? Or in this instance?

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

In the playoffs clearly..:rolleyes:

You know.. the most important time:confused:

20. dmoneybangbang

And who else was on the Suns?

Lucky we have Harden still and we more resemble MDA's Suns than his Knicks and Lakers.