1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

I remember from my childhood when White Shadow was broadcast in Turkey: the CBA was translated as "The Semi-Pro League" because there was no equivalent. (Specifically the episode where Coolidge decides to join the CBA & Coach talks him out of it - wow, and here I am, not having a clue what I had for breakfast.)
    As nobody in Turkey was knowledgable about American organized sports, it worked.

The White Shadow is solely responsible for the exponential interest in basketball in Turkey by the way. After the fourth or fifth episode, makeshift hoops began to appear on every street, municipalities began building basketball courts in parks and lots and high-pitched approval noises and high fives became a thing. :)

The next generation was an unpleasant surprise for our European opponents!

Edit:

Some wise words from Coach Reeves: "A foul shot is a free shot. A missed free shot is a missed free opportunity. There are very few free opportunities in basketball. You cannot take that which is free for granted. It is a stationary target, nobody's playing defense, there is no reason to miss. Unless you do not concentrate. And you must concentrate because concentration is the key to every game. It is a form of discipline, and discipline is the key to life."

#1481 HardenReturns, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    burlesk and don grahamleone like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool breh, did not know you know about Turkey so much.

burlesk and HardenReturns like this.
  3. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Well I have to, being Turkish myself.
    From the heart of Istanbul! ;)

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I like the use of the data but it feels like PPG is the wrong data to watch. Especially now that he is expected to play within an actual system where the coach is calling the majority of the sets.

I'm not a stat geek but what would be a better KPI for Jalen within this system? PPG/usage? Or efficiency?

Corrosion likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

Jalen has both low PPG and low efficiency. Honestly his PPG is a kinder metric than using his efficiency.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sample size is still small. Comparing his 16-game season so far with full seasons of the other guys has a lot of caveat. Some players take a couple of months to get into the groove, not to mention a totally new coaching system.

clos4life, Carpe82, Stephen_A and 2 others like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You probably need to look again. Besides this season is just 17 games in.

#1487 Stephen_A, Dec 4, 2023
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Jalen Green's sample size is not 16 games. We're not 16 games into his rookie season. He looks to be the exact same player he was during his rookie year by and large, at least in terms of scoring/efficiency. Some moderate improvement in playmaking & defense but not substantial.

Sure...new coach, new system, etc. But that is irrelevant from his ability to shoot/finish efficiently.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's only 19

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Sengun made massive improvements every season. He don't need any excuse. He's the 16th pick in the draft that would arguably go 1-2 in a redraft

AroundTheWorld and HardenReturns like this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

According to Holinger’s PER metric, David Robinson is num 6 all time PER. Hakeem is 21. Drummond 42 and Gobert 43 and Enes Freedom 63 all time. Again these metrics much like per 36 are normalizing stats and shouldn’t be looked at individually but rather with other numbers while asking questions like how quality of team mates or team role etc affect this measurement.

#1491 Stephen_A, Dec 4, 2023
    clos4life likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

True. Ime is still tooling around but regardless the eye test matches the data. Jalen is a headless chicken more often than is feasible on a team vying to be a .500 play-in team. Can't wait until the games stop mattering for him to turn it on and give us something to chew on for the summer only to do the same thing again the following season. He doesn't have any more time.

Entropy likes this.
  13. Entropy

Entropy Member

Yes, and I mentioned other stats alongside PER as well as a long list of Green's issues which help to paint a picture of where Jalen is right now. Right now Jalen's issue isn't his teammates, he is the one on the team who is underperforming the most on an individual skill level. He's not a top guard. He still has a long way to go.

#1493 Entropy, Dec 4, 2023
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The post was comparing Green's 3rd seasons to the other guys' 3rd seasons. 16 games compared to full seasons.

Stephen_A and J Sizzle like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To me, this is the make or break season for him. I'd give him until at least through the All Star break to see if he has significant improvement.

AroundTheWorld, YOLO and J Sizzle like this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ah, I see. That's fair then.

AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It really isn’t though. Make or break what? Improve, be all-world, what’s the measurement? He won’t be a RFA until 26, that’s when we have to decide whether he is worth a lot of money. It would be foolish to trade him before then unless we get a haul, which we won’t.

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's all about trajectory. If he's still playing the same like what he's doing now, I'll be very disappointed and will probably lose faith in him. If he has shown real improvement, then I'll want to watch him grow more. He doesn't have to turn into a superstar half way through his 3rd season. But he needs to show that he is on the right path. Right now, the criticism is that his offensive game has not make a visible jump when most star players do that in the 3rd season.

jim1961 and YOLO like this.
  19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The team's biggest weakness is Jalen Green.

If we had Edwards instead of Jalen, we are playoffs team for sure.

20. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

That's a little extreme...I think the expectations of Jalen to be that guy has yet to come to fruition, might just be a very good role player. As long as we don't pay him Zach Lavine money, I don't have a problem with him...our greatest weakness right now is our bench and interior defense.

REEKO_HTOWN and Stephen_A like this.