1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green’s frustration clear in the building - Iko

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Feb 29, 2024.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This game was fools gold. He started the game on fire made like his first 5/6 threes. Then for an extended stretch proceeded to miss every shot he took and turned the ball over multiple times. Look at the stats people think man he had a pretty good game with 34 points but in reality he was still trash per usual just a little less trash than normal.

2. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

And I completely admit that might not know everything about it. As far as I know I don't think Steve had a wife or fiance at that time. I'm by no means making excuses for him but from what I read he was helpful to a lot of people and not abusive

3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I think you're missing my point.

Clearly stated he needs to STOP shooting once he cools off. I was agreeing with the post. He does seem to play better overall when he's pissed off. Many people do, especially in sports.

My opinion.

backwardhead, cml750 and deb4rockets like this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get it, but honestly I doubt he ever will.

Joe Rocket and cml750 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not just your opinion, 99% of us wants him to STOP.

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Green just needs better shooting around him to compliment his skill set. He's a slasher. Building around Sengun isn't going to win you anything. Jalen is 22 & will eventually put his game together with the right compliment of players. Just because a player is having a better season statistically, doesn't make him the better player

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Face it, we need a better overall shooting guard. There are plenty to pick from who can actually shoot 3's, and be more of a better overall team asset. Jalen can slash, but his assist/turnover ratio is bad. There are plenty of shooting guards better at steals, assists, and shooting percentages. I just don't get the love for Jalen, just because he can slash as you say. I'd put more faith in a rookie Reed Sheppard than a 4th year Jalen Green. Sad, but true. It's just how I feel.

charlieaustin, Y2JT and cml750 like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Teams built around chuckers are doomed from the start. Jalen is a 22 year old who is terrible at basketball, I'm sure he could be a decent player in China though.

backwardhead and cml750 like this.
  9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm at with Jalen. I still believe he has potential to be very good, but the Silas years did nothing to help him mature/grow as a person/player. Can he turn it around here is the question?

Personally, I think he'd do better with a different team and a fresh start. However, I wouldn't give him away, but instead look for a team that still sees his potential and is willing to compensate us for that value.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Face it, the team is currently in phase 2 of the rebuild. Guys are still developing while learning the system. We want to play faster but can't with slowest center in the nba. Jalen will thrive in a faster paced offense with better spacing. A Sengun centered offense doesn't fit anybody but Sengun. Jalen's offensive struggles are mostly because Sengun. We will not go anywhere building around Sengun

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Jalen's offensive struggles are because he's a one trick pony who loses the ball too often. I'd prefer a player who can find more ways to score. If we add a better SG our game doesn't have to revolve around Sengun. He can still snag those rebounds and score, but with better 3 PT shooters, and guys who can drive more efficiently to the basket and score the focus won't be on him. Face it, most of our guys are ave at best in FG%. Jalen is below average. We need another deep scoring threat more than watching Jalen slash and chuck 3's.

I'm all for drafting another big to swap out with Sengun and Adams, but I'm even higher in a 3 PT shooter.

12. orochiyao

orochiyao Contributing Member

ant edwards and donovan mitchell seem to do just fine with a nonshooting center. just say youre a fan of 40% efg chuckers and 20-win seasons and be done with it

gotsis, DVauthrin, maypk and 2 others like this.
  13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The reason he's losing the ball is because there is zero spacing. He's having to force himself to the rim & isn't getting the calls right now. The one trick pony is Sengun actually. He's a one dimensional scorer who can't score outside of 2ft from the rim. He also can't shoot free throws or play defense. Block shots? No. Rebounding is subpar

14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Ant & Mitchell are veterans. Jalen is 22 in a new system. Apples & oranges

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree with Sengun's bad FT shooting, and also agree a shot blocker would be great. That was why I was so mad when we let Capela go and went to stupid small ball. At least he could block shots. But, he wasn't good at free throws either. That all being said, not many centers are great 3 PT shooters or have a great FT percentage. All being said, Sengun's still ranked #7 in efficiency of all NBA Centers and Jalen is ranked #40 of shooting guards in efficiency.

I have no desire to build around Jalen. There are better players out there, and like I said, I'd have more faith in a rookie Reed Sheppard than Jalen. It's not like he's great at stealing the ball, or is some defensive great. He's terrible at making 3's, and slashing in a wide open court doesn't mean crap if the rest of his game is subpar. He thinks he's better than he is, and will chuck shots all day to get 20 PTS or more. We deserve better. Our team deserves a better starter.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

lol, says the guy who rails on and on about no excuses when it comes to Sengun. Why not practice what you preach?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Double Standard Champ?

clos4life, harold bingo and cml750 like this.
  18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He should watch film of some of his previous games. That usually pisses me off.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

POTY?

:D:D:D:D:D

clos4life, theDude and cml750 like this.
  20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

First off Sengun is a budding star and like it or not he's the only one we've got right now. Lets hope we get more but it would be smart to put shooting around the guy who is actually efficient and can pass the ball. Its not October and youre talking like it is. ITS OVER. Jalen isnt the player that somehow you still think he is and Sengun is apparently a way better player than you think he is. This is a fact. There is no Jalen vs Sengun, Jalen isnt fit to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Sengun. Hopefully we can get better players to play WITH Sengun not necessarily build around him. Sengun is a good start. The next step is to sit Jalens inefficient chucking non defense ass on the bench. To even suggest we build around him is trollish and disgusting and I think you know that.

cml750 and DVauthrin like this.