1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jae Crowder

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by haoafu, Jun 14, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jae-Crowder-10084/

My favorite prospect in this year's second round(Kyle O'Quinn is my second favorite in second round). Outstanding defender/rebounder and highly efficient offensive player with improved perimeter shooting.

He's a unconventional 'tweener' -- plays a lot of PF in college but will most likely play SF in NBA. Unlike Beasly/Macus Morris who had trouble defending either 3/4 positions, Jae Crowder can definitely defend SF's without question.

"Crowder's best attributes revolve around his play on the defensive end, where he's one of the most versatile and effective players in all of college basketball. One of the rare players who truly guards every position on the court one through five, often within a single game, Crowder takes great pride in shutting down his matchup, and is a willing contributor as a team defender as well.

From DraftExpress.com "

He's limited in shot creation on offense, but is highly intelligent/efficient to score in transition, cuts, jumpers, putback, layups around the basket... His frame and strength will create mismatch on offense as well.

With high baketball IQ, his near 2:1 assist/turnover ratio is better than a lot of PG's in this draft, and his rebounding rate is top of the chart for all SF prospects.

He improved a lot in college and will become a differece maker type of player IMO. I think he's going to be a quality starting SF in a few years on a contender team. One of the biggest steals in second round this year.

#1 haoafu, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. cdastros

cdastros Member

I like him better than Jeffery Taylor, and you don't have to spend a first round pick to get him. He compares himself to Ron Artest, except sane.

3. QazQay

QazQay Member

I really like Crowder as well.
    He also says he wants to be a shooting guard, which I think he probably can be. That would make it easier for him to fit into our rotation as well.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Marcus Morris said he wanted to be a SF.

?

I do like Crowder a lot, and for a 2nd Round pick, we could do a lot worse.

6. cdastros

cdastros Member

The difference is Crowder did gaurd some 2's and 3's in college in the Marquette defense.

7. haoafu

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2012/6/1/3056311/know-the-prospect-jae-crowder

"Can I have the country of origin? Jae Crowder is a native of Villa Rice in Georgia. Not the country, the state. Like teammate Darius Johnson-Odom, played at a junior college before heading to Marquette. First, he helped South Georgia Tech to their first ever postseason appearance while averaging 17 and 10 and earning Georgia Junior College POY. Then, he moved on to Howard College where his team won the national title and Crowder won NJCAA POY. Impressive stuff indeed, especially considering moving schools. Last year, Crowder was named the Big East POY after improving immensely between his junior and senior seasons. Crowder earned several accolades in addition to that and proved that he is one of the more dynamic players in the country, even if he doesn't have a "position"."

8. cookies18

cookies18 Member

The next Kenneth Faried

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

unfortunately not. kid has a great heart. but he just doesn't have the size. he's 6'3". he will make a nice living in Europe. don't think he'll make it here. Faried is undersized too but Faried is a legit 6'6" to 6'7". And Crowder simply isn't quick enough or skilled enough to be a 3.

10. haoafu

His lane agility is pretty good, and he has the size advantage and defensive ability to defend SG's(or even PG's). That's what's so special about his value.

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

They had his height wrong on Draft Express. He is 6' 4.75 w/o shoes and over 6' 6" with shoes. To me Crowder has the skill set and size to be a 3. He will still be undersized a bit but if he can develop into a 2/3 off the bench he will be valuable given his defense and improving offensive game. He seems really comfortable on the perimeter and bringing the ball up. He is a very unique player that is built like an undersized PF but beneath the surface has an almost refined offensive game and above average defense against 1-3's and possibly some 4's. I think he will be a steal of a 2nd round pick and would not be surprised if Morey is eyeing him if he can buy a 2nd round pick this year.

6' 4.75" 6' 6.5"

12. haoafu

Dude is rolling last night.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That boy Chowder was rolling last night.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Hopefully he makes it, have to root for players like him. but if he does not, he'll be a star in Europe. He's basically perfect for Euroball. Super strong, smart and can hit a shot = formula for success under FIBA rules.

15. trowa

trowa Member

what matters is, he showed us how soft dmo is.

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

He had a great game ... but the 0-5 on FTs puts doubt on whether he could really shoot that well on 3s, consistently.

17. haoafu

He shoots 35% from 3's in college, and about 37% in summer league. His FT% is close to 75% last year in college. I'd say he's ok and seems to be on the right track.

18. carayip

carayip Member

10 points/6 rebs again in limited minutes.

Kid flat out produces whenever he gets PT. Should have been a lottory pick IMO and happy to see him producing like one! He is the best shooter and definitely the "Jeremy Lin" prospect in this draft.

For the guy who said he will go to Europe. I don't think so. Kid has heart and knows how to play. He will stick in this league for a long time.

Another underrated prospect to keep an eye on is the Magic's Andrew Nicholson. Great PF size and legit post moves. Top 5 rookie when all is said and done I predict, along with our Jeremy Lamb. :)

19. haoafu

The analytics gurus from basketball prospectus ranked him as a top8 draft pick. BTW, the only rocket's pick in that top8 is Terrence Jones.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2366

"Based on a combination of statistics and intuition, I had eight players in my top three tiers of available talent. Five of them went off the board in the first five picks--yes, I had Dion Waiters in that group, so I don't think the Cleveland Cavaliers reached for him. After that, Terrence Jones went at 18 and Jared Sullinger at 21, while Jae Crowder lasted all the way to the second round."

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

You may be right.