1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jadeveon Clowney - Texans' first round (#1 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, May 8, 2014.

?

Do you agree with the Texans' decision to take Jadeveon Clowney with the #1 pick?

1. YES

287 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. NO

22 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Anticope

Anticope Member

Right. So the Texans should've passed on the best player in the draft at a position of need because they've drafted defensive linemen in the first round in the past (one of whom was JJ Watt) and they have only won 2 playoffs games? I'm far from a Texan apologist but they made the right (and obvious) move. What was your great solution? Draft Manziel?!

2. downbytheriver

Could have easily drafted Clowney and traded for manziel. he's no prize, but beggars can't be choosers and we need a young qb learning plays/developing on the sidelines if he's not good enough to start

1 person likes this.
  3. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

When a team goes 2-14 there are usually multiple holes to fill. Drafting Clowney makes an immediate impact next year.

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

So sad we almost had Teddy Bridgewater in our hands... But we still have the chance to get the second best quarterback of this draft available! Get Derek Carr! Who cares about his brother David Carr and his history he had here in Houston, but this Carr #4 is better! He is better than Bortles and Manziel! LOL at the idiots who passed on Derek Carr.

5. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

If I wasn't so meh on Carr's pocket presence I would be very inclined to agree with you

6. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Draft a position of need which is qb, right tackle, cornerback, tight end. You dont let espn tell you that a guy with 3 sacks last year but oh he ran a fast 40 time is the best player. We need a qb and Bortles is the top prospect at qb, which is why Jacksonville darn near sprint up to take him. Manziel is under 6 feet tall and only 3 qb's in the league are that short and successfull. Qb's are big and athletic, take Bortles develop him which is why i thought we are paying O'Brien. And for those pointing out Mario Williams stats vs Reggie Bush who cares. The reason the texans shouldve drafted Reggie is to try and save the career of David Carr who they drafted number one. Reggie wouldve had a far greater usage rate in Houston vs in NO where he shared carries with Deuce. You are supposed to draft to improve your teams weakness. But the Texans keep drafting ppl with no coherent plan which is why they have been basically a bad team for 14 years. But yeah go ahead and celebrate us drafting another defensive lineman. Arian Foster and Andre Johnson must be estatic about that...Jameis Winston watch begins now

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

You shouldn't draft a QB in the first just because you don't have one, especially in a draft that a lot of people believe lacks an elite QB prospect but is fairly deep with QB talent. And you're not going to get anywhere arguing that the Texans should've taken Bush over Mario. Jeez. There are seriously people who still believe things like this? Were you against taking JJ Watt too?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I want to see the Texans go to 2 TE sets in the red zone with Clowney and Watt.

9. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

You sir, are the definition of an ESPN box score fan. I bet you watched one SCar game last year, if that. Yes, you don't let ESPN tell you he only had 3 sacks last year, you watch games and notice how many times he was double and triple teamed (90+% of his snaps, btw), and still, HB's ran the opposite way. I bet you were an advocate of taking TB with the first pick too.

Reggie would have been worse to use as a Texan than he was with NO, Mia or Detroit, why? Because we couldn't block a Mazda with a Peterbuilt on a 1 lane road... Why do you think David Carr got emasculated? No offensive line buddy, what's a running back gonna do for you?

Also, did you know Trent Dilfer has the same number of SB rings as a starting QB as Peyton Manning? Do you know how good Trent Dilfer was? QB is a need, Andrew Luck woulda been my pick if he was there, RG III would've not been. You take transcendent talent, over ANY position of need. But, don't you think pass rush is a need, when we were 29 in a 32 team league in sacks?

What football do you watch?

10. Remii

Remii Member

6-10 here we come....

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

When your team loses 14 straight games in one season, going 6-10 the following season isn't quite an insult to that team.

I'm hoping for better, but it's not like 6-10 should be causing a riot from (realistic) fans.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Texans Will be at least be 8-8, mark my words.

10-6 is my prediction.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

Haha cool...

Probably.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

We still need a solid quarterback to make that happen.

Let's see who the Texans get in FA, or if Keenum/Fitz actually pan out.

15. Raven

Raven Member

An easier schedule is going to help camouflage just how much progress the Texans make next season.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Don't forget were you are at... Many of these fans you speak of believe we now have a dominant defense that can shut down Luck.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I agree...complacency sets in if they seemingly "overachieve" considering their schedule doesnt look as imposing as it was last season. The goal however shouldnt change...win within the division and try taking back the crown from the Colts...everything else will take care of it self.

18. Remii

Remii Member

At the beginning of last season the schedule didn't look to imposing either. You can't just concentrate on the moves we are making, you have to look at what the other teams are doing as well... And on paper through free agency and the draft other teams are improving and not just the Texans.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

20. Raven

Raven Member

With an easier schedule, is 6-10 real progress or a dead cat bounce?